Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: my walks with'buddy boy'

Message 91 of 194

@gatorgorilla wrote:

@doglover52 wrote:

Early Mon morning,Marcia&Dave leave with 8 teenage church members as they drive to Maine for a week's mission work. Our youth have been going to this particular area for over 40yrs,M&D are the youth advisors on the trip along with 2  church staff members.

doglover52/Sue:  Was very interested to read that Marcia & Dave were headed to Maine for a week, as youth advisors, and am impressed with that 40 year record that your church's youth have accrued.

Am curious:  what happens during the week of mission work?  That is, what, exactly, do the youth do in Maine, once they arrive?

Thanks for any response you might be able to provide, Sue.

Hi Pam,the senior highs every year rent a van,drive 14hrs give or take to Hartford and East Sumner,Maine. These 2 rural town's population is around 1,000 residents. The kids sleep at a local church,doing various projects thru the week wherever the need is the greatest with the senior highs group from the area.They always  'chuck wood',cutting up wood logs for winter. Other work projects in the past,building ramps  for handicap people at their houses,help clean&sort canned food at local pantry. They do get a 'day off' go to LLBean,go out to dinner as a group. They attend& participate in the local church service,leave for home. The week after they return,the senior highs lead our worship service. One person  is asked to write what the group did,shares his/hers experiences with our congregation.

For the past 5 yrs or so,senior highs from Maine come to Buffalo for a week,both groups together do local mission work. I think the Maine kids stay at our church,with their advisors,including their minister. The Sunday the Maine kids leave,they lead our worship service,then after lunch,drive back home. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 194

@doglover52 wrote:

We did our usual 3 block walk,he was sniffing the grass,the air,checking out  other dogs across the street,  ignored any squirrels along the way,maybe he wasn't really awake yet LOL!

When we got back,Alexei was standing on front porch steps,took off 'bb's leash as he raced into the kitchen waiting for his treat. Alexei and I had a nice chat,he told me 'bb' eats his breakfast  whenever the spirit moves him,he was lying on the rug when I was about to leave. I told him to be a 'good boy',he looked up at me wagged his tail. I plan to walk him again same time Thurs morning. Sue

That's amusing about 'bb' ignoring squirrels - maybe he will be more "awake" this morning when you walk him!  Hope the two of you enjoy this morning's outing, Sue, & look forward to your post about it.   Pam

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 194

@doglover52 wrote:

Early Mon morning,Marcia&Dave leave with 8 teenage church members as they drive to Maine for a week's mission work. Our youth have been going to this particular area for over 40yrs,M&D are the youth advisors on the trip along with 2  church staff members.

doglover52/Sue:  Was very interested to read that Marcia & Dave were headed to Maine for a week, as youth advisors, and am impressed with that 40 year record that your church's youth have accrued.

Am curious:  what happens during the week of mission work?  That is, what, exactly, do the youth do in Maine, once they arrive?

Thanks for any response you might be able to provide, Sue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 194

Its been a partly sunny day here,temps in the 70's with less humidity.

I strolled over to M&D's around 7:50am,to take'buddy boy' for his 1st walk of the day. Alexei &'bb' were waiting for me in front of the house,all I said was 'hey buddy',he wagged his tail.

We did our usual 3 block walk,he was sniffing the grass,the air,checking out  other dogs across the street,  ignored any squirrels along the way,maybe he wasn't really awake yet LOL!

When we got back,Alexei was standing on front porch steps,took off 'bb's leash as he raced into the kitchen waiting for his treat. Alexei and I had a nice chat,he told me 'bb' eats his breakfast  whenever the spirit moves him,he was lying on the rug when I was about to leave. I told him to be a 'good boy',he looked up at me wagged his tail. I plan to walk him again same time Thurs morning. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 194

Its been a warm,sunny day,temps in the high 80's. When I was at Marcia&Dave's a couple days ago,she told me she wouldn't be home today,but Dave would be. I started to walk over to the house,saw Dave coming towards me with 'buddy boy'. I waited at the corner,said'hey buddy',he was happy to see me,came over wagged his tail. We walked couple blocks,then came back to the house,I stayed for about 40min,had nice conversation as usual with Dave.

Alexei and his brother,Dave,Jr will be at the house,I'll be walking 'buddy boy' Tues&Thurs morning around 8am. I'll post about the walks. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 194

Today has been a breezy,warm sunny day,temps in mid 80's. I strolled over to Marcia&Dave's around 8:50 this morning for our weekly chat. I knocked on door,walked into living room,'buddy boy' leaped off his chair,came over wagging his tail,gave me a kiss on my nose.

I asked Marcia if he had been walked recently,she said 'about 45 min ago,he likes the walks'. Once again,he played his hide n seek game,so I waited until he wasn't paying attention to me,put leash around his neck. We did our usual route,he was sniffing flowers,grass,checking out the squirrels,but didn't go after any of them. When we returned he raced into the living room,checking to see what Dave was doing on sofa,then went to his water bowl, gave him his treat

Marcia had gone to local pastry shop down the block,she gave me the plate small strawberry croissants for us to share. As usual 'bb' was sitting right by my left foot, hoping he would get something as he  pleaded me with his eyes.He got a tiny part of the corner When Marcia sat down he started to whine until he got something too. As I was about to leave,'bb' jumped onto his chair,head on armrest,sighing,he was content with the fan blowing near him. He gave me a kiss on my left ear as I hugged him. Sue 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 194

Marcia and I had talked couple days ago about me walking 'buddy boy' this morning at 9:45.

It was partly sunny day here,temps near 80. When I strolled over to the house,knocked on screen door,Marcia said'come in'. When I walked into the living room,she was sitting on couch,'bb' jumped off his chair,came over to me wagging his tail.

She told me she took him for an early walk,didn't go far. I looked at him saying'wanna go for a walk',he wagged his tail,but he decided to play hide n seek instead by walking into the dining room. Marcia told me,he hadn't eaten yet,so when he finally came back to me,I put the leash around his head. He proceeded to eat his breakfast,so I sat down waiting for him .

We did our usual route,'bb' did something he never has done before,rolling on his back on a driveway,look like he was trying to scratch his back. I said'enjoying yourself',he wagged his tail. When we got back,he rushed into the kitchen waiting for his treat,which lately have been carrots which he loves. He was happy to be back,went over to Marcia then he jumped in his chair,sighing. When I gave him his hug,told him to be a 'good boy',he licked my left ear. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 194

It rained early this morning,stopped around 8am,rest of day was partly sunny temps in the 70's.

I had pre arranged with Alexei yesterday afternoon when I could walk 'bb' since Marcia is out of town visitng her mom,Rosie in Mich,returning Mon afternoon. The rain had just ended when I strolled over to the house at 8:30,Alexei waiting at door.

When I walked into living room,'bb' jumped off his chair,came over to me wagging his tail,smiled,licked my nose. As he was eating his breakfast,Alexei&I had a chance to catch up with each other,hadn't seen him for a week or so.

When I got the leash,'bb' tried to walk away until I said'come on,lets go',he came right to me. The sun was trying to break thru the clouds,felt humid. We did usual 3 blocks,we were almost home when 'bb' stopped and wouldn't move. We stood there for about a minute until he decide what he wanted to do,gently pulled the leash.

When we got back home,he raced into the kitchen,first looked at Alexei,then me. He didn't get his usual treat because there was no bag, gave him  couple of carrots instead which he loves. He jumped back into his chair,sighing. As I was about to leave,gave him a hug,he licked my ear. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 194

Its been a hot/hazy/humid day here temps in the mid 80's. When I went for my early morning walk at 6:30,it was 66 already.

I strolled over to Marcia&Dave's this morning around 8:45,knocked on screen door,walked in. Dave was sitting on sofa in the living room,Marcia called from upstairs,'bb' was up with her. I called 'hey 'buddy boy',thats all it took,he raced down the stairs, He gave me a smile/kiss wagging his tail,then laid down on the rug. I asked Dave if he had been for a walk,he said'just a  short one an hr ago'. I went to get the leash,put it around 'bb's head,and said'walk',he immeditately got up.

We did usual route but cut it short because he was beginning to pant,when we got back he raced into the kitchen to his water bowl. There was no treat bag,Dave gave me couple carrots to give him,'bb' was a happy camper,he jumped into his chair sighing.

After a 20min chat with M&D,I was about to leave,gave 'bb' a hug,he licked my nose.

Marcia is going to be out of town next Weds-following Mon,told her I would be happy to walk him in mornings{Dave will be at work}. She suggested I call Alexei to set up a time which I will. She thanked me. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 194

Its been another lovely sunny day here,not as warm as yesterday temps around 70.

I strolled over to Marcia&Dave's this afternoon around 1.Marcia&I had pre-arranged this yesterday,this was the only afternoon she would be home this week.She was pulling weeds from the garden by the front porch,she said'bb is inside on the loveseat'. I walked into the living room,he quickly jumped off ,wagging his tail,came over and licked my chin. I got the leash he started to move away from me until I said 'nose',he came right to me . Alexei has taught 'bb' to come when ever he says that word,he knows its time for a walk,so far its working.

We went a different way today,still 3 blocks,no bumblebee following us. When we got to our usual corner,'bb' just stopped and looked at me wagging his tail,couldn't make up his mind where we should go next. I gently started pulling the leash,saying 'lets go home'. After we got back took leash off,he raced into the living room looking at Marcia because she was sitting in his chair. I told him to'place' he patiently waited for his treat. He jumped on the loveseat&just looked at me and sighed. I gave him a hug as I was about to leave,told him to be a 'good boy' until the next time,he licked my ear. Sue

Kudos
Views