Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: emotional support dogs

Message 1 of 7

My daughter suffers from anxiety and panic attacks and will be going away to college for the first time this fall.  So you can imagine the emotional stress we are going through right now.  Recently, we found a stray who is so sweet and my daughter started looking into ESA's.  This dog would be perfect for her, but I can't seem to figure out a legitmate organization who registers them. 

I saw your post was hoping that even though this has been some years ago, you might see this and be able to tell me how I/we would go about registering our dog for this purpose.  My daughter has been seening a licensed councilor for her situation, but not a licensed psychologist.  So I don't know if that matters or not.

I'll keep looking, in the meantime, you can email me at dbarton@mybanktx.com if you have any advice to give us.

Thank you!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
I used the service for my dog which passed away and also for my new companien...

have a look ...Emotional Support Animal - usdogregistry.org‎
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

All dogs are emotional support animals if they have decent owners. 

Barlester

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: emotional support animals

Message 4 of 7

I want to find psychologist who can interview me and proscribe an emotional support animal for me.  Can you make any suggestions?  I live in Houston, TX.

Thanks in advance.

~Liz Biss

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I am a big supporter of animals that aid people & help them be more independent. I think that's expanded to a point where they & their people all need to have some sort of ID, that they've been certified for it. Some animals go through established programs, and wear clearly identifiable jackets/harnesses, but others don't. That unfortunately makes it too easy for "impostors" to just bring a pet somewhere, and make legitimate pairs suspect. It would be nice to see a federal certification/licensing program with ID cards.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

A great book is "Until Tuesday" by Luis Carlos Montalván. He is a veteran with PTSD and Tuesday his service pup gives him a new leash on life. It also deals with the difficulties of proving that your dog is indeed a service animal.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

emotional support dogs

Message 7 of 7
My ESA helps me to get out a little, some people think ESA disability dogs are just bull. But let me tell you, when you have anxiety panic attacks having that dog there helps to calm me down an keep me safe !!!!
Kudos
Views
Replies