From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: coconut oil for pets

Message 1 of 6

I have 2 dogs with environmental allergies & one withfood allergies.  I would love to stay away from steroids!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

My two Shih Tzu have been miserable for the last two weeks due to itchy skin.  We changed flea medication and saw no difference.  Started giving Benedryl,spraying skin with Hydro-cortisone, adding 1/2 tsp. of coconut oil to morning and evening meals and still no difference.  Finally, this morning we took them to the vet for a steriod shot.  They are now calm and not scratching.  We try everything we possibly can before resorting to steriods.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Than You

GEH
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Good for you and welcome to the boards.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

I found this this out when one of my dogs (Big Red) developed a terrible itch on his back he was almost bald from waist down from chewing and scratching, I bathed him in blue dawn then Hartz oatmeal soap, then rubbed Pure coconut oil in lard form into his skin this was about 4 days ago and his chewing and scrathing has almost stopped and hair is coming back already 

GEH
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

coconut oil for pets

Message 6 of 6

Coconut oil offers a variety of benefits for pets. It can:

Treat a variety of fungal and yeast infections
Decrease brain lesions that develop as pets age
Improve wound healing and the condition of your pet's coat when applied to the skin
Reduce hairballs in cats and constipation in both dogs and cats
Protect the paws from road salt when applied to paw pads
Offer a protective barrier to prevent allergens from collecting on your pet's paws
Relieve itchy skin caused by flea bites, eczema or contact dermatitis
Improve thyroid function
Moisturize the skin
Relieve discomfort caused by hot spots when applied to the skin
Decrease digestive problems and improve the absorption of nutrients
Reduce allergic reactions
Keeps skin folds free of bacteria
Improve bad breath
Relieve the symptoms of arthritis
Help reduce the painful symptoms of colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome
Treat gingivitis (gum inflammation) when rubbed on the gums
Prevent diabetes by balancing insulin
Increase your pet's energy level
Coat pills, making them easier to swallow

This is from an email from my vet's office.    Be careful with the dose, dogs have sensitive pancreases.  Regretfully I did not copy the dose, but it was something like 1 teaspoon for large dogs & 1/4 teaspoon for small dogs.  Below is an easy to make treat recipe I want to try. 

Wellness Mama's Homemade Dog Treats

With both coconut oil and coconut flour, these treats offer a double dose of coconut.
Mix 1/2 cup coconut oil with 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup gelatin powder, one egg, 1 to 2 teaspoons of water and two medium cooked sweet potatoes.
Roll the dough into 1" balls and flatten them slightly with your hands.
Place the treats on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
Let the treats cool, then store them in the refrigerator. They'll stay fresh in an air-tight container for several weeks. If you prefer, double the batch and freeze the second batch.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season