Nominations are open for the AARP Purpose Prize, which honors extraordinary individuals who use their life experience to make a better future for all. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 81 of 213

Rat terrier 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 213

My favorite breed is just about whatever dog I have had from Heinz 57 to pure breed.  I grew up with a wonderful German Shepard that I just adored.  I've had three wonderful beagles and I've had mutts.  But the dog that sticks most in memory was the German Shepard we had named Shorty.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 213

Pits or Pit mixes.  They are the sweetest, most loving dogs we've every had.  They are totally misunderstood - they used to be used as Nanny dogs because of their loyalty and love of children, especially family.  They are NOT mean by nature - they have to be deliberatly mistreated to become mean or fighters.  One police department tried to use them as K-9's and they failed because of that very reason - not trainable for police work by traditional methods!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 213

Pomeranian.  My last three rescue dogs have been Pomeranians.  They are cuddly, loving and funny dogs with lots of character.  Also, they are smart and learn easily.  My current sweet Pom, Pasha, is also a talker!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 213

Our Miniature Poodle, Amber, fills our lives with love and laughter. While we haven't gotten her certified as a Therapy Dog, she has seen me through a knee replacement and open heart surgery. When I was in rehab, Amber was permitted to visit me. She adopted all the other patients there, and would visit them, too. We have spoiled her, and she loves everyone she meets.

She has a special relationship with one neighbor.

One day as we walked past the house, Amber insisted that we stop. (I could have won the contest, but she was determined.) The woman came out and sat on the steps. Amber climbed into her lap, hugged her, and licked the tears off her face. It turned out that the woman had an outpatient procedure under anesthesia the previous day and was having a lot of nausea and pain. Amber sat very patiently and allowed the lady to hold her and hug her. After a while, the symptoms abated, and we continued on our walk.

She gets along with all the dogs in the neighborhood, but is a bit fearful with larger, noisier pups. At the kennel, where we have her groomed and where we board her, they have nicknamed her the "Social Director."

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 213

My favorite has always been the German Shepherd but I've recently taken a liking to Standard Poodles. I tend to go for the smartest dogs. Had a border collie years ago and she was the smartest and best dog ever. Currently have 2 wolf hybrids - great watchdogs and they sing beautifully. The male is super loveable; female is tougher than nails. While "mutt" isn't exactly a breed, I believe that is the best choice since you often get the best of each breed and usually fewer health problems.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 213

Any rescue dog. So many unique mixes and most of them smart as a whip once they know they will be loved and treated well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 213

I've owned several dogs of various breeds and have loved them all, but my favorite, for their intelligence and loyalty, has to be the Border Collie. Mine is lying by my feet as I type. Within two weeks of rescuing him from my local shelter he was alerting me when my blood sugar levels dropped dangerously low. Then he started picking up everything I dropped, which was a considerable amount due to a tremor in my hands. Finally, he began to recognize when I would get down in the dumps and he would let me have a day to feel depressed, then he would jolly me out of my bleak mood by licking me, starting at my toes. By the time he'd reach my face, I'd be laughing and ready to get up. I did not teach my boy any of these things. He simply recognized a need and met it with intelligence and compassion. I love all dogs, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Border Collie.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 213
So do I! They're so loving, smart, and beautiful.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 213

Really love Golden Retrievers

Kudos
Views