AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 81 of 215

My favorite dog breed is whatever I have, but I stay with large rescue dogs.  My almost 10 year old Lab, whom we rescued when she was 4 years old, was alone after our huge 118 pound Boxer-X male died of cancer.  Two months ago we found a 4 year old German Shepard of unknown background that we named Beacon, because he was like a light at the end of the tunnel.  He and Flora and the Lab get along great and Beacon acts like he's been here on the farm forever.  However, we're working with him trying to teach him that our goats and chickens are not for him to eat!  He's learning. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed? All breeds!

Message 82 of 215

Had mostly Heinz 57 growing.  Lost our lab to cancer.  Currently have 2 Boston Terriers.  I must say they are funny, intelligent and understanding of words is amazing.  Gabby and Annie we love you!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 215

Rat terrier 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 215

My favorite breed is just about whatever dog I have had from Heinz 57 to pure breed.  I grew up with a wonderful German Shepard that I just adored.  I've had three wonderful beagles and I've had mutts.  But the dog that sticks most in memory was the German Shepard we had named Shorty.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 215

Pits or Pit mixes.  They are the sweetest, most loving dogs we've every had.  They are totally misunderstood - they used to be used as Nanny dogs because of their loyalty and love of children, especially family.  They are NOT mean by nature - they have to be deliberatly mistreated to become mean or fighters.  One police department tried to use them as K-9's and they failed because of that very reason - not trainable for police work by traditional methods!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 215

Pomeranian.  My last three rescue dogs have been Pomeranians.  They are cuddly, loving and funny dogs with lots of character.  Also, they are smart and learn easily.  My current sweet Pom, Pasha, is also a talker!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 215

Our Miniature Poodle, Amber, fills our lives with love and laughter. While we haven't gotten her certified as a Therapy Dog, she has seen me through a knee replacement and open heart surgery. When I was in rehab, Amber was permitted to visit me. She adopted all the other patients there, and would visit them, too. We have spoiled her, and she loves everyone she meets.

She has a special relationship with one neighbor.

One day as we walked past the house, Amber insisted that we stop. (I could have won the contest, but she was determined.) The woman came out and sat on the steps. Amber climbed into her lap, hugged her, and licked the tears off her face. It turned out that the woman had an outpatient procedure under anesthesia the previous day and was having a lot of nausea and pain. Amber sat very patiently and allowed the lady to hold her and hug her. After a while, the symptoms abated, and we continued on our walk.

She gets along with all the dogs in the neighborhood, but is a bit fearful with larger, noisier pups. At the kennel, where we have her groomed and where we board her, they have nicknamed her the "Social Director."

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 215

My favorite has always been the German Shepherd but I've recently taken a liking to Standard Poodles. I tend to go for the smartest dogs. Had a border collie years ago and she was the smartest and best dog ever. Currently have 2 wolf hybrids - great watchdogs and they sing beautifully. The male is super loveable; female is tougher than nails. While "mutt" isn't exactly a breed, I believe that is the best choice since you often get the best of each breed and usually fewer health problems.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 215

Any rescue dog. So many unique mixes and most of them smart as a whip once they know they will be loved and treated well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 215

I've owned several dogs of various breeds and have loved them all, but my favorite, for their intelligence and loyalty, has to be the Border Collie. Mine is lying by my feet as I type. Within two weeks of rescuing him from my local shelter he was alerting me when my blood sugar levels dropped dangerously low. Then he started picking up everything I dropped, which was a considerable amount due to a tremor in my hands. Finally, he began to recognize when I would get down in the dumps and he would let me have a day to feel depressed, then he would jolly me out of my bleak mood by licking me, starting at my toes. By the time he'd reach my face, I'd be laughing and ready to get up. I did not teach my boy any of these things. He simply recognized a need and met it with intelligence and compassion. I love all dogs, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Border Collie.

Kudos
Views