Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Rescued is my favorite! I have 3 wonderful rescues now. Nefertari is part Rough Coated Jack Russell, Kennedy is alledgely part Yorkie but looks like she is mostly bat so we call her our little Batgirl and Princess is a Yorkie. There are a lot of breeds of dogs who need homes. Our cat showed up at my husband's office as a kitten. That was over 10 years ago and he shares the apartment with us. I know we are truly the rescues!

Definitely the collie. They're intelligent, easy to train and quick to learn, great with kids, not needy for attention but rather unassuming and just happy to be near you.
Trusted Contributor

Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Terrier).  I've had dogs all my life and was always afraid of Pit Bulls.  They have a terrible reputation that is undeserved.  Their propensity for unprovoked attacks is grossly exagerated.  They have to be trained to attack, and most of them are failures at attacking anything other than squirrels, rabbits and maybe cats.  They're strong-willed but very trainable with the right techniques and persistence.  They're highly affectionate and loyal.  My two rescue Pit Bulls are a total pleasure to be around, and they adore each other.  They're about as aggressive as a sedated opossum in hibernation.  My number two favorite is the border collie because of their extreme interrigence, but they require too much exercise for me at my age.  I have enough land but no sheep for them to herd.

Contributor

I agree with you 100%! I also have an affectionate, loyal pit.
Periodic Contributor

any rescued dog, but our pit-mix is the most loving & devoted dog who at age 6 still looks like a cute puppy.
Contributor

Thank you for your comments and mostly for pointing out how unfair the reputation or labeling of the Pit Bulls.are. I lost my grand dog four years ago and cry and miss her every single day. She was the most lovable and affectionate dog I have ever. known and I am 68 . We have had just about every breed there is but never one sweeter then our Quira

The Golen Retriever is by far my favorite dog breed. They are loyal to a fault, and so very smart. They are great with children, gentle when called for, and very protective. 

Contributor

Greyhounds, without a doubt. That comes from a 2 veterinarian household.

Rick Rockar, VMD
dogdocrock@gmail.com
Contributor

We have a dochshund and a rescue doberman.  They are the loves of the family.  Our doberman, Buck, is not only a great watch dog but loyal to the enth degree.  He watches out for all of us and is the most lovable big sweetie!! When you walk him people cross the street, they should only know how sweet he really is.  Our little doxi, Lulu, is just a cuddle bug who wants nothing more than to sit on the couch with me or lay in my bed under the covers. I guess that's more than you asked for in your question but when it comes to our fur babies I just love them both so much.

Doxies and German Sheperds all the way!! 🙂

I have had in my life 5 dachshunds and an entire childhood with GS's. Most people underestimate the Dachshund. They are the best watchdog with a "big dog" bark and courage. Originally bred to hunt badger, they are fearless, determined, and when needed extremely protective. At the same time, they are pure love and cuddle bugs who enjoy nothing more than to share your love, lap, and bedcovers. They are comical and will amuse you throughout the day and night. I have standard sizes, but the mini's are just the same in traits, just smaller. Doxies' also do not have "doggy oder" as most dogs do, especially wet ones.Doxies don't.Their shedding is minimal. A good choice for those who want a low maintenence pooch. I currently have my Sadie left. She'll be 16yrs old at the end of August and have had her since birth. Her and I are like a pair of ol' comfy shoes, just growing old together. 

What more needs to be said about GS's. They're a magnificent dog and have qualities beyond compare when trained properly. 

Whatever your choice of breed, there's nothing on the face of this earth that will give you such unconditional love as a dog. 

I've had three, the last a rescue.

No shedding and one of the breed standards is an intense desire to please their owner.  They also have a sense of humor and are big teases.

Contributor

BEAGLE !!! Adorable, friendly, loving, & great with kids! We even love their unusual howl!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Dutch Shepherd how's that for a breed, that maybe one other aarper has.
Intelligent not overbred as yet and have very few health problems.
Ive had 3 since 2005 they are Velcro, highly intelligent, and my three have been rescues, dropouts from military or police training or search and rescue.

If you want to check them out try a search, high energy not for sedentary life style unless older dogs.
Don't ask me what older is my 12 year old still can do 30 mph for short spurts down from 40 mph.
Sizes are maybe 24" tall females 30 for males weight 50 to 100. absolute beauty with 3 coat styles, predominently brindled.

Frozen
And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Social Butterfly

A short background of my history with dogs...I always considered myself a lifetime cat person. We tried a Siberian Husky when my eldest son was a toddler. They make for spirited pups. Misha scared my son and teethed on the kitchen furniture. She went on to live to ripe old age with my brother. There was a Bassett who was food aggressive, a Border Collie who was kind of a furry crack head. Beautiful dogs, but not for a small apartment.

We moved to a large house several years ago. And once again I got the urge for a dog, just one more try. We found Sophie a boxer mix. What mix I didn't know until we took a walk and someone called "Hey that's a pit!". From there I began researching the bully breeds. Actually she's more of an American Staffordshire mix we came to find out. A few years later we brought home Callie, a young happy go lucky American Bull Dog. The bull breeds aren't for everyone. But with the right family these misunderstood pups can be ideal.

We live in an area where shootings and muggings have happened far too close to home. I can walk my Callie anywhere day or night and know I'm safe under his watch. I can go to work confident that my kids will be safe from break ins and bad guys. Yet for all his brawn he can curl up in bed with us like a cat, snoring like a happy hog and he's the most gentle guy you could ever hope to love. I will always have a bully in the future.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

I really don't have a favorite breed. I've always had  a mixed breed up until now. I am the proud owner of a Dobie. A very sweet Dobie. She is still a puppy.Each of my dogs have been very special to me and have left a paw print  on my heart. You share so much of your life with them, You go through the happy times together but you also go through the sad times together. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Along this same line, I really need an Hearing Dog, but my current home won't qualify.  But I'll be moving sometime this year and I've found that where I'm moving too has a source for the HD and they're matched up with us according to needs mostly.  The dogs are mostly rescues, so I'm liable to get most any breed.  I may not have a lot of choice, but that's just fine.  I've been house 'n mostly dog sitting for a few years and have enjoyed a lot of different breeds.

Info Seeker

Le Cherie - if you are awarded a hearing dog - any type of service dog - or psychiatric support dog - even a home that states "no dogs allowed" cannot prevent your dog from living with you per FEDERAL law. There are many different State mandates - but when all is said and done - Federal wins. FYI
Honored Social Butterfly

Black labs then yellow labs. A dog is not a dog unless it weighs at least 30 pounds (I know, I'll get flamed).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Black labs then yellow labs. A dog is not a dog unless it weighs at least 30 pounds (I know, I'll get flamed).

I tend to like the "working dogs" too, which are usually large. The one dog I had as a kid, was a mixed breed .. small/medium, curly hair & webbed feet! Appearance-wise, I love the Samoyeds, Great Pyrenee, as well as Newfoundlands & Bernese Mountain Dogs. But they're not the "smartest" breeds, so that might be a problem.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Contributor

I had to laugh at the 30 lb. comment as my dearly departed husband used to say small dogs were not dogs but glorified rodents!
Honored Social Butterfly

"...I tend to like the "working dogs" too, which are usually large...".

Yes, any of the larger breeds are of interest to me. But, we've raised 5 dogs and they were all shelter, mixed (lab and 'whatever') breeds. 

I always liked, but would not pay for, a 'real' German Shepherd --- those large, bluish colored dogs often used as police dogs. There is one in the neighborhood.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

You can find a "real" German Shepherd through rescues or even at animal shelters.   Petfinder.com is a great tool.   

Honored Social Butterfly

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Yes, any of the larger breeds are of interest to me. But, we've raised 5 dogs and they were all shelter, mixed (lab and 'whatever') breeds. 

I always liked, but would not pay for, a 'real' German Shepherd --- those large, bluish colored dogs often used as police dogs. There is one in the neighborhood.  

I've had more cats than dogs, also "finds" or a neighbor's kittens. Recently, after watching Animal Planets programs on breeds of dogs & kittens, I thought of getting 2 Ragdolls (cats .. keep each other company), and the prices are astronomical (for a pet). Even non-show quality kittens are $600+ each! But the point is that you know exactly what you're getting from a reputable breeder.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Periodic Contributor

I love all dogs. I really do. over the years we have had Pit **bleep**

Recognized Social Butterfly

I also own a pitbull. Today for Halloween I'm going to dress her up as a cupcake.

Contributor

Ragdolls are absolutely gorgeous to look at and behave more like dogs (follow you around the house -- come when called, etc.) but they are not bright at all.  You don't need two to entertain each other.  A Ragdoll is entertained simply by lying down somewhere in your vicinity.  And, yes, I own one.

Trusted Social Butterfly

This is a tough question to consider.When my siblings and I were growing up we always had a dog. Over the years we had a beagle,Irish setter,English cocker spaniel,,couple mixed breeds. Our last dog was a golden retreiver which we had for 14yrs.I've always like yellow&black labs and golden retriever,these are my favorites. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Honored Social Butterfly

This is such a difficult question!  Each dog, even in the same breed, has it's own personality.  I've had three poodles (2 standards and one miniature) and I love that breed, even though all three of them have been very different.  My only problem with the poodles was the necessary grooming, but they don't shed which is an advantage.  I've also had two mixes breeds, a probably beagle mix an a chow mix, which have been great dogs.

I'll have to say that my heart melts when I see a golden retriever puppy (or adult for that matter) although I've never had one or really been around one.  I'm rather partial to dogs with long hair even though they shed all over the place.  Our childhood dog was a cocker spaniel (probable mix) who was the best dog ever.  My mother loved Pekingese dogs that were beautiful and she loved them.  I did not choose to carry on the family tradition although they provided some interesting stories.  Those were the only dogs that ever bit me.

Bronze Conversationalist

Always the Bullmastiff.  They're large enough to intimidate unwanted strangers, yet quiet.  But let someone outside do something they should not, and they give a very low-pitched, growly bark.

Regular Contributor

I have always wanted a Bullmastiff .All the ones I have come in contact with have been gentle giants .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP