Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 91 of 216

I've owned several dogs of various breeds and have loved them all, but my favorite, for their intelligence and loyalty, has to be the Border Collie. Mine is lying by my feet as I type. Within two weeks of rescuing him from my local shelter he was alerting me when my blood sugar levels dropped dangerously low. Then he started picking up everything I dropped, which was a considerable amount due to a tremor in my hands. Finally, he began to recognize when I would get down in the dumps and he would let me have a day to feel depressed, then he would jolly me out of my bleak mood by licking me, starting at my toes. By the time he'd reach my face, I'd be laughing and ready to get up. I did not teach my boy any of these things. He simply recognized a need and met it with intelligence and compassion. I love all dogs, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Border Collie.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 216
So do I! They're so loving, smart, and beautiful.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 216

Really love Golden Retrievers

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 216

Might I suggest a daschund . We have two and it is a wonderful breed 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sheltie - Any dog with a Collie mix

Message 95 of 216
So happy to hear they are taken care of...awesome!!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

What is your favorite breed of dog?

Message 96 of 216

My favorite breed is Pug's, they are very loving and compassionette. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sheltie - Any dog with a Collie mix

Message 97 of 216

All our pugs we found as puppies at the flea market. I'm sure they came from puppy mills. Out cats came to us a little kittens whose mothers were strays in our neighborhood (we found out later) we took them in and fed them and adopted them.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Sheltie - Any dog with a Collie mix

Message 98 of 216

First dog Collie/Beagle mix. Lived 16 yrs never a health problem. Protective when he needed to be.  Taught himself to grab the back bottom of a pants leg to jerk people down going thru our yard.

Second - Samoyed Extremely loving and dedicated.  Gorgeous dog. Loved to

howl and sing.  Developed large tumors in her tummy. Put her down at 6.

Third dog my Sheltie- Puppy from Shelter.  Quite independent where she always

didnt have to be beside you as long as you were in view.  Protective when needed.  Walked the property line when we moved to a new place and she'd never leave the property.  How did she know?  Was never trained to know and no electric fence.  Quickest to learn common commands. Smartest ever. Lived to 14.

My fourth and last as I'm a older senior now and not as mobile as I used to be.

She's a rescue Collie and what looks to be a Corgi mix with shortened legs.

Looks all Collie but the legs.  My what an unexpected handful!!  Outside the nose

of a hunter and brings me a mouse, vole, baby gophers that came into her domain.  Due to her abuse she wants to attack every dog or person that goes by.

Protective of me and our property.  Three months before I could pet her head bc

she thought she'd be hit.  Tail between her legs for three months.  Always on

point like a Sentinal.  She can scent an approach at an unbelievable distance.

Indoors clingy like Velcro and a shadow everywhere I go.  Never had a more loving attentive dog.  When I first brought her home she ate all my fast food lunch

i put down for a moment and took my seat.  Think she had to fight for her food out on the streets. Never did it again once she realized she had a forever home of food and love.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed? Minarature and toy poodles

Message 99 of 216

I have to agree on miniature poodles.  I had two about 50 years ago that were really great dogs.  Then, 5 years ago I was able to get another one, a silver female that is absolutely the best dog ever.  It's unbelievable how smart she is.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 216

Probably most people agree their present dog is the best ever...feelings especially with dogs are overwhelming. I had Beagles (outdoor rabbit dogs-feel bad now how they had to sleep outdoors) as a kid and a Pomeranian(shed bomb) as a kid and teenager along with a Cocker who was a sweet girl. Early 20s was given a beautiful Big Red Irish Setter...way to active especially with the girls but me being at THAT age, I could understand his urges...won't have another. Got married had a few Cockers(constant ear problems and hair cuts etc) and raised a few but then got a Brittany who definitely went to the top of the list as best breed to me...another Cocker and then my present old buddy, a Chocolate Lab who is by far on the top of the list and probably always will be (until my next best friend). I think he knows me better than I do. Smart, loving and a good communicator...definitely a best friend. I had to get a buddy for him to play with so I SAVED a Lab/maybe Dober/maybe hound mix who makes a great friend and playmate to the Lab and if I didn't have the lab right now, he might be higher on the list and is definitely a companion type (always wanting to do and chase something)...has a fuzzy under layer of hair which he seems to shed every season....the Chocolate Lab "Blake" is by far the best friend I ever had...his time is getting short but he tries not to let on too bad when he is hurting...just wants to get and give loving. Next on my list will be something smaller...good for traveling easy to care for (not overly hyper) and living in an RV but I can't imagine being without a "Man's Best Friend" of some kind.

Any great suggestions? If they made a mini-me Chocolate Lab or something really close to it I think I would be a happy puppy!

Kudos
Views