Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 1 of 228

Hi all, first post in AARP

I did not have a dog growing up but much later over a 20 year period I had 7 greyhounds, usually 2 at a time, all rescued from the track.  They are the most loving, affectionate 45mph couch potatoes!  I became a "greyhound person". I currently have a 28lb. small dog from the local shelter who, to my amazement, has worked her way into my heart as if she were a greyhound, who knew?  We've done so much together, going to restaurants and other events, lots of training - first she got her Canine Good Citizen, then her Urban Canine Good Citizen then passed the Therapy Dog Int'l testing, then came in 2nd in an obedience trial where she was the ONLY mixed breed (come on people, what the heck?) dog etc.  She is older now, her 100% red coat is turning white but she still has a lot of spring in her step.  MY FAVORITE DOG BREED IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS ME THE MOST.  Animals are not disposable like a paper plate.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 228
Yes I also had one as a child . Our last boxer was a rescue .My husband never had boxers .I had told him about the one I had as child . So when we were able to get the boxer .He said ok if you want him we will try him out .Well after just 3 days he was in love with him .And in about 2 weeks the boxer that was to be mine , ended up being his . Dog loved him so much .He said I have never had a dog that gave so much love . There were always together .we took the dog to Alaska ,and into Canada.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 228
I have always wanted a Bullmastiff .All the ones I have come in contact with have been gentle giants .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 228

I'm with you on boxers.  They are the breed of my heart.  I've had them since I was a child.  At one time we had 6 in our house.  Unfortunately, I lost my last boxer, a female in 2012 and my male in 2010.  I now have a 7 year old pitbull who I got when he was 8 weeks old and he was raised by my female boxer.  He acts like a boxer.  I often say he is a boxer in a pitbull disguise,

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 228

Love .Love Boxers . I now have a boxer / pit bull . That is a rescue. Has turned out to be a very good dog for me .

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 228
I love the Newfoundland Doggie my favorite but she passed and I now have 2 Shih Tzu's.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 228

@sm361854  So nice that you mentioned  rescue dogsSmiley Very Happy.  Double kudos.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 228

I love my Jack Russell Terrier

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 228

I have had a number of diffent breeds of dogs.  I think my favorite large breeds are an Irish Wolfhound and German Shepards both are wonderful family dogs, when trained properly and socialized properly.  For a small breed it is again a tie between the llaha apso and a border terrier.  But the most important quality in all of my dogs are they are rescue dogs from reliiable rescue organizations.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 228

Cavaliier King Charles Spaniel.  Just looking at my Lucy makes me smile.  Her tail is always wagging and she loves everyone.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users