Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

I really detest dogs! I have 3 cats (soon to be 4), all black, and they are purrrfectly fine for me. Dogs slobber, are high maintenance, are needy, they can't even take care of themselves. Cats all the way, baby! No dogs allowed!  😂  (this has resurfaced 8 years later, lol)

Recognized Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I love them too! My wife, not so much. No dogs allowed.

Are you the former Angela?

Re: What's your favorite dog breed? - AARP Online Community

Anonymous 
Not applicable
‎06-13-2021 09:11 AM

@PhyllisD478560 wrote:

I still love Boxers . But have had to put my boxer down . And the pit/boxer I only had for 4 years before I had to put him down . Both had brain tumors . It was so hard . I now have a German Shepard mix . She is a good dog . I like big dogs .She  is. a rescue also. 

@PhyllisD478560 after losing Jeremiah, a Jack Russell Terrier, I now have Doggie Friends. Took a year for me to stop crying. 

Angela 

Tags: 

Re: What's your favorite dog breed? - AARP Online Community

NicoleW439658 
Periodic Contributor
08-20-2023 06:06 AM

(8/20/23) Jonibee @jonibee , I am so sorry to hear this! Ralph was a member of your family. 

After Jeremiah died a few years ago, I have LOTS of "doggie" friends.

Just cannot go through losing another one. 

Nicole 

Tags: 

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] (☉౪ ⊙)
Trusted Social Butterfly

We had a German Shepard/Doberman Pincer mixed breed and his name was Ralph..He was a very docile dog but a good protector of our 4 children when needed...We lost him to someone harming him and I never replaced him...My second choice is the Retrievers Golden or Black Labrador ...They make great pets.

Recognized Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Contributor

First of all @AARPTeri it’s a good thing that you didn’t post this to my GSD Facebook group…those rabid folks would have jumped all over you for misspelling German Shepherd…and their routine battle cry “because you can’t ‘ard’ sheep” 😜 …anyway, I have a 130 lb 10 year old German Shepherd/St. Bernard mix and he is the love of my life!! I can’t remember anything before I got him…he goes everywhere I go or I don’t go…even the doctors office knows when I’m coming…(I hope they don’t schedule anyone with allergies near my time slot) they have a jar of treats just for him…all my life I’ve had cats and cats!! I’m a convert now!!! No litter boxes!!! This is Camo. He is the sweetest, calmest, bestest boy in the whole world!! So easy to train he never jumped on people or thought of biting…he’s a favorite at the vets office 🫠 people literally melt when they see his face …intelligence is off the charts!! I wish I could clone him!! (I wouldn’t really-I think that’s morbid) so as you might have guessed, GSD’s are my absolute favorite dogs 🐕🥰 I pray you all are enjoying the weekend. Here in Iowa, it’s HOT 🥵!! *fun question* 🤔🧐

IMG_2977.jpeg

Love always, Deb W ~ IA

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

(8/19/23) My last furbaby was Jeremiah, Jack Russell full of attitude/lol 😂🤣 But I luv ALL "breeds" - great post @AARPTeri ! Nicole 🐕

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?✏

Periodic Contributor

I've always had a soft spot for boxers and have had them for most of my life.  My last boxer died almost 9 years ago and just before she died, we got a pitbull puppy who she helped train.  I honestly think he thinks he is a boxer in a pitbull disguise.  He is now 10 years old and showing some gray.   Pitbulls have gotten a bad rap over the years but they are truly wonderful dogs.  Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to get a white boxer puppy who is now 8 months old.  Now the roles are reversed and my pittie is training my boxer.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I love my Jack Russell Terrier.

Regular Contributor

Love my wirehair pointing griffon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jerseystorm wrote:

Love my wirehair pointing griffon.

💥 @Jerseystorm how old? Angela 💥

Social Butterfly

Chow Chow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Raynyky wrote:

Chow Chow.

💥 @Raynyky do you have one? Angela 💥

Social Butterfly

I had one Best dog I ever had. Put him down at 14, kidney failure. That was hard. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Raynyky wrote:

I had one Best dog I ever had. Put him down at 14, kidney failure. That was hard. 

💥 @Raynyky losing a dog is traumatic 😭 No more for me. Now I have Doggie Friends = this way I do not get too attached. 😁 Angela 💥

Social Butterfly

Same here He set the bar too high. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

💥 @AARPTeri awesome post 😁 At the moment I do not own a dog but have become great friends with Blitz who lives next door. He is a rescue and a mutt. So I guess my answer would be, no fav breed. Enjoyed reading everyone's doggie posts!!! Nothing like Doggie Luv 🤗🤗🤗 💥

Bronze Conversationalist

We had a great German Shepherd-Huskie mix growing up. She was a great, loyal, and beautiful looking dog. Best dog we ever owned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 wrote:

We had a great German Shepherd-Huskie mix growing up. She was a great, loyal, and beautiful looking dog. Best dog we ever owned.

💥No more dogs @postman29 ? I don't think I can again. Jeremiah was my best friend and walking buddy. He was a Jack Russell Terrier. Lol, short, feisty and felt a need to fight every dog we passed while out walking. Especially the dogs 4 times his height. 🤣😂  💥

Trusted Social Butterfly

I guess this topic shows how much we love our pets.  I see it's been going on for years now! 👍

Mine is the Toy Poodle.  Had my puppy Taz for 17 awesome years, my buddy and travel partner, until the latter part of 2016. No more pets for me now... 

Taz in front of apt on Cashmere Dr  Havasu.jpg

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunluvngal wrote:

I guess this topic shows how much we love our pets.  I see it's been going on for years now! 👍

Mine is the Toy Poodle.  Had my puppy Taz for 17 awesome years, my buddy and travel partner, until the latter part of 2016. No more pets for me now... 

Taz in front of apt on Cashmere Dr  Havasu.jpg

💥 @sunluvngal yes, nothing like doggie luv 🤗🤗🤗 After losing Jeremiah, no more for me either. Angela 💥

Silver Conversationalist

Taz is a cutie @sunluvngal! So sorry for your loss.

Regular Contributor

I still love Boxers . But have had to put my boxer down . And the pit/boxer I only had for 4 years before I had to put him down . Both had brain tumors . It was so hard . I now have a German Shepard mix . She is a good dog . I like big dogs .She  is. a rescue also. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhyllisD478560 wrote:

💥@PhyllisD478560 after losing Jeremiah, a Jack Russell Terrier, I now have Doggie Friends. Took a year for me to stop crying. 😭 Angela 💥

Silver Conversationalist

@AARPTeri Labrador Retriever 

This is Jambalaya (Laya for short), our 10 year old yellow lab.

6775CB2E-B4CB-41CD-9DEA-374EAE4CEE3C.jpeg

Social Butterfly

Linda, What a sweet old girl.  Such a great face.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 if I remember correctly from amother post, she is a girl. Lol, senior moment. Thank you SO MUCH for SHARING her with us. Hey Laya 👋

Silver Conversationalist

Yes, @Anonymous  Jambalaya (Laya for short) is a little lady!

Trusted Contributor

@LindaB671 and Laya, well especially Laya,

This is Willie (full name William O. Douglas after the Supreme Court justice) but he is no longer with us. He's was a cross Golden retriever(62.5%), Labrador retriever(25%) and, Setter(12.5%). 

Goldens are my favorite dog - I know, so trite, but this particular mix was amazing.  Sadly my husband who arrived after Willie is very allergic to dogs. When Willie died my husband's allergy meds were cut significantly. So no doggos for us right now Maybe when we get older and don't travel at all we'll get a doodle of some sort. I kind of like schnoodles (schnauzer-poodle)

Willie ready for a hikeWillie ready for a hike 

Silver Conversationalist

@ninaTx Awe...so sorry for your loss of Willie. He’s so cute; or should I say handsome?! I see the Setter in him. Up until two years ago we also had Laya’s mom Roux (Roo) but had to put her down. She was sweet. I’ve never heard of a Schnoodle.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP