Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Two: Whippets and Scottish Deerhounds.   They are similar and very different in personality.  I cannot imagine not having both in my life.  And my Deerhound will keep me warm on the colderst night!

Recognized Social Butterfly

I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting a pair of Italian Greyhounds. I wasn't familiar with the breed until I met them

Although, the time we spent together was brief I found them to be total love bugs. Just great 🐕.

Periodic Contributor

Rat terrier-they seem to be very loving and protective.

I've got a couple of Beagle dogs, and I just adore having them around. They are such a friendly, good natured dog, and so good with children.

They also get along with all the other dogs in the neigbourhood and I've trained them get along with my cat.

They do occassionaly bark when a person they don't know visits us, but they are easily won over after a bit of a pat - so for that reason the beagle doesn't maked a good guard dog.

The one thing that they do love to do is go hunting, and they love hunting together, bit like a pack, so I plant a few treats in the backyard and then get them to go hunt.

I've had other breeds of dogs before, but for my the beagle is my favourite, they intelligent, very curious and rarely aggresive, not to mention, they have an awesome sense of smell.

Super Contributor

Smiley Happy
🐾  Shetland Sheepdogs
⊱⊱⊱ My husband and I are blessed
with a pair of darling Sheltie sisters
 ∽ 

beautiful honey∙sable *Devon
 gorgeous mahogany∙sable *Emily*

Favourite dog breed?-sheltie-sisters.jpg

♥ Shelties are not my whole life ∽ but they make my life whole ♥
Periodic Contributor

I love Pugs!!! I've had 6 in my life time. The are so loyal and loving.

KathyMc420

Silver Conversationalist

German Shepard.  We had a few over the years.

Contributor

The standard poodle,  hands down!  Smartest,  sweetest,  most versatile dog out there. My babies!My babies!

Wow h658981f,

What great looking pups you have. I have a small 11lb poodle black and white with cream Crest apoo. Do you.Remember the little black and white magnets? Pollar  opposites. That's my pups!

@HopeFidder wrote:

The standard poodle,  hands down!  Smartest,  sweetest,  most versatile dog out there. My babies!My babies!

We have a brown and white parti-colored Standard poodle named Sherlock Holmes. He is quite smart as well and very good at opening all the doors in the house and unlocking his crate and the gate on the porch and the fence. He is three years old and is quite shy of many people, but will warm up to you if you have a dog. He is hilarious with a ball...he has a need for speed!!! Sherlock will jump as high as he needs to to catch a ball and run as fast as the wind to fetch!! We love him so much!! He is a beautiful boy  being mostly white, with a brown head and ears, a brown tail with a white tip and a few brown spots. When he is not squeaking his other toys, he is pretty much a lounge lizard and a couch potato moving from his bed to his sister's old bed to one or the other couch or the master bedroom bed. All that moving seems to amuse him....plus throwing pillows onto the floor!! While we are not looking he might rip a hole or two in one of the pillows. We just try to give him one of his toys instead as a replacement.

We have a precious Rat Terrier. I used to have a wonderful Australian cattle dog. She passed a year before my late husband.

Zoey is a joy to our life.Zoey in her own little chairZoey in her own little chair

Every morning she has to have her belly rub and coffee with me 

Ruth Robinson

I love and have 3 dashounds.

Dashounds R great! I NEVER KNOW the breed comes in long and short hair. There are 2 long hair ones, who.walk by every day.I love the way they sache as they walk.

Contributor

hi my name is Denise and I have a red nosed pitbull. She's a rescue and I love her dearly. So I guess pitbulls are my favorite 

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

Pitbull

Contributor

My 2 favorite dog breeds are Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier and Bichon Frise 

Contributor

My Fav. Dog Breed is Rotteiller and Labrador.

Contributor

My Labrottie (Labrador/Rotteiller mix) is my favorite, hands down! I couldn't have asked for a more mild-mannered loveable dog.

Periodic Contributor

Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, and Sometimes (UGH! Spelling. lol)

Christopher Martin Shaddock

I adore dogs and breed and show boxers.  I used to show and hunt Jack Russell Terriers.  An unplanned breeding of the two breeds led to a litter of Jack in the Boxes!!  They were the best best family and therapy dogs I have ever known.

Boxer, Rottweiler, Bernese Mountain Dog.. really any dog.. 🙂 I'm a animal rescuer

@f253156b wrote:

Boxer, Rottweiler, Bernese Mountain Dog.. really any dog.. 🙂 I'm a animal rescuer

Would like to give you double kudos, but it is not possible! Woman Very Happy

Hello DolceVita,

I dropped off 15 handmade cat beds, to my local Aspca. Thanks to the detailed directions posted on The Aarp COMMUNITY. While there I made friends with Rocky, a Beautiful Rottweiler pup. I had forgotten how sweet and big this breed is. I can see why you are a pup rescuer. 

A huge thank you,

To the person who posted the directions for making cat beds out of tee shirts. It took some time, but I was ABLE to drop off 15 beds yesterday. I only have 10 to make to forfill my pledge of 25. The directions where so clear, I sent up an assembly line. I used a b back room, and got the veterans involved. Thanks again for posting the directions. With your help, 15 cat beds where made, and 5 veterans shared stories, while making the beds. My sincerest thanks,   Nancy.

PLEASE remind me who you are!!

Cat HappyCat HappyPyepye56,

Cat HappyCat Happy Thank you for posting directions on making the Cat BedsCat HappyCat Happy

Nancy

Dear LaDolceVita, 

What a great thing you are doing!!!. KUDOS squared

Owning and training Bloodhounds. Great temperaments and dedicated to its family. Search and Rescue provided civic service. Hardworking and loyal.

Contributor

Mixed breeds becauce the have characteristics from several breeds.

@a574542c wrote:

Mixed breeds becauce the have characteristics from several breeds.

Yes!!

How many breeds are there? Is it true that dogs came from wolves?

Contributor

My husband and I decided to get a dog after having two cats the last 15 years.  We live in a condo and did some research on a dog that would be appropriate for living in a condo.  We decided on a Pug and we are so happy.  We got General Tao when he was 9 weeks old.  He is now 18 months and we are having so much fun with him.  He is so kind, loving, funny and energetic (at least in the AC).  Pugs don't handle heat too well so we have to watch him since we live in Florida.  He is our fur baby and we love him so much.IMG_5509 (002).JPG

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP