Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Contributor

best dog that my kids loved
Honored Social Butterfly

Dutch shepherds are hypoallergenic (fur and dander sensitives) tend to just keep petting my girl 1-2 hours later, they still can breathe, see, not itch.

Dog smell doesn't happen, even when wet. Unless dealing with a wire coated dutchie all are soft as silk.

I'm stuck on the breed I know and when they take ownership of their human it's Velcro forever.

Froze
And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

As a child I always had cats. I got my first dog when I was in my 20s. He was a mixed breed and was awesome. After he was gone I got a golden retriever. She was an amazing girl. In her later years my husband introduced me to English mastiffs. These are a majestic loyal breed. We had 5 of these beautiful dogs. They each lived long (10-12 yrs) with us. We lost our last my beloved George in 2012. Even after 3 yrs I just haven't the heart yet for another. These are the most loyal, loving and protective sweethearts you could ever have. I love this breed. If I don't get another, I will always have a working group dog. They are the best!
Honored Social Butterfly

Luvs me some sighthounds! Afghans, salukis, whippets, IGs, greyhounds. Works of art, these dogs. I've found them to be intelligent, fun-loving, loyal and great hikers.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

I love my German shepherds. They are smart and keep me active.
Periodic Contributor

Actually, a very hard question to answer for me.  I've had several different breeds over the years and each one has left their pawprint.  From a German Shepherd, Doberman, Miniature Poodle,Yorkie, Sheltie, Great Pyrenees, a mixed Lab, and a mixed St. Bernard.  I've loved each of them, with no "favorites", they've all been and are great dogs.  We still have the sheltie, great pyrenees, mixed lab and mixed st. bernard.  The last three, live outside protecting our livestock.  

Social Butterfly

I might have posted here before, I'm not sure but easy for me...any of the bull breeds. Corgis are cute with their foxy faces and West Highland Terriers are sweet too. But my boy is an American Bull dog and I will always have one. Hubby jokes that he's like Herman Munster. Even when he's happy and relaxed some people run at the sight of him. But at home he's a big goofy lap dog who loves peanut butter, tug of war and gazing at you with soft brown eyes.

I have loved the many dogs I've been blessed to have in my life. My little soul mate was a Pembroke Welch Corgi who unfortunately died too soon at age 9. I miss him every day. But I now have Dori, a mixed breed mostly Beagle. She is devoted to me, very loving, sleeps with me under the covers just as my Paddy used to do. Her soulful brown eyes say it all. She is very special.

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

Trusted Contributor

I am an animal lover and love Rottweilers.  I love their character and appearance (muscular built). Rotties are easy to groom and if people know you have this type of dog on your property, they will think twice about burglarizing your home.

Periodic Contributor

English Cocker Spaniel. I bred, showed and trained them for over 20 years; owned at least 1 for another 10. I'd love to get another one!
Contributor

Greyhounds!  Loving and easy to care for.

Contributor

Has to be German Shepherd. I've had 3 of them and they were like my best friends in many ways

Contributor

All of them.   They're dogs, all different, but all great.  Dogs are the coolest animals in the world.  I look at any of them (with the exception of a friend's little poodle, who hated me, barking, biting, etc...).  Any dog that doesn't like me (the ultimate dog lover) must be mutant.  The smartest most amazing, intuitive, intelligent, was a 22 lb. caramel colored wire haired terrier, some poodle, maybe more, but that was enough.  She learned the most difficult tricks in less than 5 minutes.  She had a strong herding instinct.  When group hiking on a trail, we she'd run from the beginning to the end of the line, and back, and back, and back, etc... counting us, making sure no one was missing.  We live along Lake Michigan and were hiking along the shore line.  She'd make a wide arc around us and move far enough away so that she could see (and count) all of us.  I had heard that some herders,  traveled across the backs ofostl the sheep or whoever to get to the other side.  We were watching a softball game, and so were sort of hunched forward when we noticed we were being walked on.  She loved people, but did have a favorite (me), and would worry, and sit at the door waiting for me, when I was gone.

Loyalty is definitely a terrier trait (pit bulls, all of em).  I was driving in Detroit, and as I entered the freeway, there was this little thing just sitting there (she was about 1 year old or less).  I stopped the car, opened the door, and in she hopped. There is no doubt in my mind that she had been dropped off there, and she was waiting to be picked up.

Black Labrador Retriever smart loyal part of the family

Contributor

Standard Poodle, of which i now have two...Blondie and Henri.  They are so smart it is sometimes shocking, they catch on so fast!  Every dog I have ever owned was a favorite though...Cocker Spaniel growing up and two Greyhounds prior to the Poodles.  The Greyhounds got me used to dogs that don't bark and I am having to get used to barking again.

Sue

Contributor

Standard Poodle. They are smart, clued in, love to play and think at 65 pounds they are a lap dog. We give them a straight cut, not a fufu cut.
Recognized Social Butterfly

The favorite dog of my life was a black German Shepherd.  She just showed up one day when she was about 1 year old.  She developed degenerative myelopathy at age 9 and I had the cart for her hind end and kept her going for about a year.  She weighed over 100 lbs and it was very difficult.  I do not want to love another  dog like I loved her.  It was really too much. 

Border collie mixes and lab mixes are my next favorite flavor of dog.  Always wanted a poodle and a sheltie! 

Periodic Contributor

I was never a dog person...I had cats.... When we married, hubby already had a Siamese and two Dobermans... So, we rescued lovely Dobies for 15 years...then we rescued wonderful Rottweilers...for 20 years. People tend to get them as pups and when at 4-5 mos. they are really big and have not been taught their 'manners', don't want them any more...including show quality pure-breds!!! 

We now have a  beautiful !!! rescue long haired German Shepard, who is a love,  at 100# he thinks he is a lap dog.... I made sure he bonded to my hubby, tho' he still naps with me... a really big help when I am on my laptop...lols

Periodic Contributor

None
Periodic Contributor

Nond
Contributor

Boxer, they are so smart, fast learners, devoted to their famlies..Like kids and cats, if raised with them..

Contributor

I simply adore Yorkies! They are so  much fun and give so much love! I just recently had to put my 16 year old male to sleep. It was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. But the right thing for him. I miss him every day & he'll be in my thoughts forever.

Contributor

1. I have had some mixed breeds (Fox Terrior & a German Shepherd mix with dachshund legs) & Malmutes, a small poodle, a Basenji, & 2 different Chihuahuas.  All were rescue dogs over my lifetime as an adult.  None as a child.  My favorites have been the small dogs (poodle & Chihuahua).    All the breeds have delightful traits & are as unique as humans in the way they react & behave.
Contributor

Yorkshire Terrier

Contributor

We've always had Newfoundlands, still my favorite breed.  There's nothing like that giant ball of fur and slobber to make you feel loved.  We decided, though, that we needed to downsize to a more manageable-sized dog as we get older, so now have a Clumber Spaniel.  Quite a difference!  She's much more excitable, but still very couch-potato-y.  I think training is going to be a little more of a challenge, but we're so happy to have this sweet girl.  

Periodic Contributor

Havanese.   I've had dogs most of my life and this breed is exceptional. Doesn't shed, is quiet, smart, easy to train, connected, sturdy and great looking. .

Contributor

Bichon Frise
Contributor

Mini Schnauzers
Social Butterfly

Wired hair fox terrier is my favorite.  We had one called Spedly Pucht.

Contributor

PAPILLON!!!!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP