Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine from work raised Irish Wolf Hounds.  We would meet on Saturdays to play with, start training and to socialize the pups.  I had so much fun with these wonderful dogs.  The adult dogs were absolutely sure they were lap dogs and I have some wonderful photos showing me 5ft 2 with two or three monsterous lap dogs on a sofa.  If I had a really large backyard I would own an Irish Wolf Hound.  I do have a Llhasa Apso which is a wonderful, happy little dog who is a joy every day.

Periodic Contributor

Dachshund

Contributor

My favorite breed is Miniature Pinchers. I have had 7 of them. Miniature Pinchers are steadfast companions, entertainers, comforters and best friends. I would not have changed any of them. They are very loyal to their owners.

Contributor

We have a mini pin as well.  He is our favorite dog of all of them.  He is smart, loyal, friendly and has OCD which makes him hilarious.

Contributor

My dog of choice is Pomeranian.  I have had 4 (currently 2).  They are so smart and loving.

Periodic Contributor

Rat terrier-they are very sweet, loyal , good company. I am in the process of looking for a new one. I live in Langley Wa.

Contributor

I love my Pitbull Jaxx. He was given to me as a puppy by my nephew. He is the most lovable and loyal dog. They have been given such a bad representation, but it is all with the owner. Jaxx is friendly to those who present good energy and protective to those without.

Social Butterfly

My favorite is no dog!

Periodic Contributor

I've had dogs my entire life and love all of them but boxers are the breed of my heart.  I've had boxers for over 50 years.  Males, females, fawns, brindles, it doesn't matter.  I loved them all.  Unfortunately, my last boxer, a female, died 5 years ago and my male boxer died 6 years ago.  But I didn't remain dogless.  About a year before my female boxer died, we took in a 7 week of pitbull.  He was raised by my boxer and naturally thinks he is a boxer.  I love my pitbull and have come to love the breed as well.  They are really wonderful dogs with loving personalities.  I'm glad he came into my life because he has given me so much.  

Contributor

Growing up, we always had a dog. Mostly little ones and of course mutts. My most favorite dog is the chocolate lab. And, a few years ago, I finally rescued one. Her name is Bella and she is the most sweetest, gentle dog I have ever have. She loves to play and never leaves my side. The funniest thing she does is she loves smells. If you put lotion or perfume on, she will sniff you all over and then try to rub up against you to get the smell on her. Bella is the best dog I have ever had!

Bronze Conversationalist

My favorite dog breed is whatever I have, but I stay with large rescue dogs.  My almost 10 year old Lab, whom we rescued when she was 4 years old, was alone after our huge 118 pound Boxer-X male died of cancer.  Two months ago we found a 4 year old German Shepard of unknown background that we named Beacon, because he was like a light at the end of the tunnel.  He and Flora and the Lab get along great and Beacon acts like he's been here on the farm forever.  However, we're working with him trying to teach him that our goats and chickens are not for him to eat!  He's learning. 

Had mostly Heinz 57 growing.  Lost our lab to cancer.  Currently have 2 Boston Terriers.  I must say they are funny, intelligent and understanding of words is amazing.  Gabby and Annie we love you!

Periodic Contributor

Rat terrier 

Regular Contributor

My favorite breed is just about whatever dog I have had from Heinz 57 to pure breed.  I grew up with a wonderful German Shepard that I just adored.  I've had three wonderful beagles and I've had mutts.  But the dog that sticks most in memory was the German Shepard we had named Shorty.  

Contributor

Pits or Pit mixes.  They are the sweetest, most loving dogs we've every had.  They are totally misunderstood - they used to be used as Nanny dogs because of their loyalty and love of children, especially family.  They are NOT mean by nature - they have to be deliberatly mistreated to become mean or fighters.  One police department tried to use them as K-9's and they failed because of that very reason - not trainable for police work by traditional methods!!!

Contributor

Pomeranian.  My last three rescue dogs have been Pomeranians.  They are cuddly, loving and funny dogs with lots of character.  Also, they are smart and learn easily.  My current sweet Pom, Pasha, is also a talker!

Regular Contributor

My favorite has always been the German Shepherd but I've recently taken a liking to Standard Poodles. I tend to go for the smartest dogs. Had a border collie years ago and she was the smartest and best dog ever. Currently have 2 wolf hybrids - great watchdogs and they sing beautifully. The male is super loveable; female is tougher than nails. While "mutt" isn't exactly a breed, I believe that is the best choice since you often get the best of each breed and usually fewer health problems.

Periodic Contributor

Any rescue dog. So many unique mixes and most of them smart as a whip once they know they will be loved and treated well.

Periodic Contributor

I've owned several dogs of various breeds and have loved them all, but my favorite, for their intelligence and loyalty, has to be the Border Collie. Mine is lying by my feet as I type. Within two weeks of rescuing him from my local shelter he was alerting me when my blood sugar levels dropped dangerously low. Then he started picking up everything I dropped, which was a considerable amount due to a tremor in my hands. Finally, he began to recognize when I would get down in the dumps and he would let me have a day to feel depressed, then he would jolly me out of my bleak mood by licking me, starting at my toes. By the time he'd reach my face, I'd be laughing and ready to get up. I did not teach my boy any of these things. He simply recognized a need and met it with intelligence and compassion. I love all dogs, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Border Collie.

Periodic Contributor

Rescue boxers are just the best!  We are on our fourth.  They are loving protectors of their families and adapt well to family routines, etc.  Okay I'll admit....they are big babies that LOVE cuddling on the couch (or bed!) with their families.  We've loved and enjoyed them so much!

ILLINOISKATE

Godfrey,  IL

Trusted Contributor

Really love Golden Retrievers

Contributor

So do I! They're so loving, smart, and beautiful.
Contributor

My favorite breed is Pug's, they are very loving and compassionette. 

Contributor

Probably most people agree their present dog is the best ever...feelings especially with dogs are overwhelming. I had Beagles (outdoor rabbit dogs-feel bad now how they had to sleep outdoors) as a kid and a Pomeranian(shed bomb) as a kid and teenager along with a Cocker who was a sweet girl. Early 20s was given a beautiful Big Red Irish Setter...way to active especially with the girls but me being at THAT age, I could understand his urges...won't have another. Got married had a few Cockers(constant ear problems and hair cuts etc) and raised a few but then got a Brittany who definitely went to the top of the list as best breed to me...another Cocker and then my present old buddy, a Chocolate Lab who is by far on the top of the list and probably always will be (until my next best friend). I think he knows me better than I do. Smart, loving and a good communicator...definitely a best friend. I had to get a buddy for him to play with so I SAVED a Lab/maybe Dober/maybe hound mix who makes a great friend and playmate to the Lab and if I didn't have the lab right now, he might be higher on the list and is definitely a companion type (always wanting to do and chase something)...has a fuzzy under layer of hair which he seems to shed every season....the Chocolate Lab "Blake" is by far the best friend I ever had...his time is getting short but he tries not to let on too bad when he is hurting...just wants to get and give loving. Next on my list will be something smaller...good for traveling easy to care for (not overly hyper) and living in an RV but I can't imagine being without a "Man's Best Friend" of some kind.

Any great suggestions? If they made a mini-me Chocolate Lab or something really close to it I think I would be a happy puppy!

Might I suggest a daschund . We have two and it is a wonderful breed 

Contributor

Our Miniature Poodle, Amber, fills our lives with love and laughter. While we haven't gotten her certified as a Therapy Dog, she has seen me through a knee replacement and open heart surgery. When I was in rehab, Amber was permitted to visit me. She adopted all the other patients there, and would visit them, too. We have spoiled her, and she loves everyone she meets.

She has a special relationship with one neighbor.

One day as we walked past the house, Amber insisted that we stop. (I could have won the contest, but she was determined.) The woman came out and sat on the steps. Amber climbed into her lap, hugged her, and licked the tears off her face. It turned out that the woman had an outpatient procedure under anesthesia the previous day and was having a lot of nausea and pain. Amber sat very patiently and allowed the lady to hold her and hug her. After a while, the symptoms abated, and we continued on our walk.

She gets along with all the dogs in the neighborhood, but is a bit fearful with larger, noisier pups. At the kennel, where we have her groomed and where we board her, they have nicknamed her the "Social Director."

Regular Contributor

I have owned big dogs all my life.  My father raised German Shepherds, and I thought a small dog would never be for me.  That changed in 2000 when I found a black pug at, what else?, a Flea Market.  His name was Black Bart, and he captured my heart and soul. He was my constant companion for almost 15 years when he crossed over the rainbow bridge. I have a new black pug now named Lucy Lou.  Pug are a very differnt kind of smll dog.  They tend to be mello and sleep alot.  Most have a very laid back personality.  They also do not shed a lot if you groom them properly because they do not have an "under coat".  This also means however that they do need coats or sweaters when it is cold outside.Old Black BartOld Black BartLucy LouLucy Lou.

Sandi Burkhart
Periodic Contributor

I just love pugs!! I used to have four but one by one they crossed the rainbow bridge until I only have pinkie left. she sleeps with us and is my disabled son's baby, and she acts like one. She also snores. she's not sure of the cats but they all sniff each other when they walk by.

Periodic Contributor

A lot of breeds have been "the best dog I've ever had." First there were little black toy poodles. I just loved them. Then I went to the pound for a dog and came home with a doberman and her 8 puppies mixed with German Shepard. She was the best dog ever. Next came a cocapoo. Oh my gosh. She was wonderfully loving. Next (we're talking years later when I say 'next') came the Golden Retreiver. What an awesome family dog. The best. I liked the chihuahua until he peed on my face. He only lasted two weeks with us. Next came the Siberian Husky. You could fill pillow cases with her fur. There's clumps of fur all over the house and on the edges of my bed near the floor where she loves to sleep. She is a runner and used to escape and run all over the neighborhood with us chasing her in our car to keep up until captured. Now she's too old to run. But, she's still the best and most loyal ever  Five years ago we saw a limp, skin & bones puppy being taken to the pound that we rescued before they got him through the front doors.  We force fed him with an eye-dropper every couple of hours over the next three days until he revived enough to even lap water. Now you wouldn't even know he has a rib cage he's so filled-out. He is a bed-hog and his daddy has to fight for space on his queen bed because this happy, contented put-bull mix thinks he is human. But, he's the best ever. I will always get a 'rescue' dog, because they 'know' and apprecciate you.

Contributor

I love my chihuahua she is so good and affectionate, like toy poodles too!!!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP