Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Contributor

English Spinner Spaniel

Sadly had to have him euthanized last Friday.

A most loving, faithful friend there ever was.

St. Francis, welcome my friend, let him play in your fields.

newkey217

My favorite breed of dogs is toy and minirature poodles. I have had 1-2 for the last 14 years and have loved them all. They are extremely bright and catch on fast to behaviors wanted by their owners. Currently I have Casper a white minerature poodle who is 12/almost 13 years old. We got him from a local pet shop. Then we have Donna a black female toy poodle. We got her from our groomer after we had to put Wendy down D/T pancreatic cancer @ 8 years old.I cried about 2 weeks after that. We had her put to sleep by the vet as her tumor was too large when they operated on her.A month later our groomer offered us Donna to take Wendy's place and she has done a good job of filling in. She is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. Her breeding days were over and she was ready to retire. We took her and haven't ever regretted it!
Contributor

I have to agree on miniature poodles.  I had two about 50 years ago that were really great dogs.  Then, 5 years ago I was able to get another one, a silver female that is absolutely the best dog ever.  It's unbelievable how smart she is.

Contributor

Alaskan malamute. I've had 5 and they were all so loving an fun. great taking hiking and camping. must work with them and have a very secure fence. I poured cement all around my.border. beautiful dogs. very kid friendly because they are like a child...their whole life.

Contributor

Sheltie

Periodic Contributor

First dog Collie/Beagle mix. Lived 16 yrs never a health problem. Protective when he needed to be.  Taught himself to grab the back bottom of a pants leg to jerk people down going thru our yard.

Second - Samoyed Extremely loving and dedicated.  Gorgeous dog. Loved to

howl and sing.  Developed large tumors in her tummy. Put her down at 6.

Third dog my Sheltie- Puppy from Shelter.  Quite independent where she always

didnt have to be beside you as long as you were in view.  Protective when needed.  Walked the property line when we moved to a new place and she'd never leave the property.  How did she know?  Was never trained to know and no electric fence.  Quickest to learn common commands. Smartest ever. Lived to 14.

My fourth and last as I'm a older senior now and not as mobile as I used to be.

She's a rescue Collie and what looks to be a Corgi mix with shortened legs.

Looks all Collie but the legs.  My what an unexpected handful!!  Outside the nose

of a hunter and brings me a mouse, vole, baby gophers that came into her domain.  Due to her abuse she wants to attack every dog or person that goes by.

Protective of me and our property.  Three months before I could pet her head bc

she thought she'd be hit.  Tail between her legs for three months.  Always on

point like a Sentinal.  She can scent an approach at an unbelievable distance.

Indoors clingy like Velcro and a shadow everywhere I go.  Never had a more loving attentive dog.  When I first brought her home she ate all my fast food lunch

i put down for a moment and took my seat.  Think she had to fight for her food out on the streets. Never did it again once she realized she had a forever home of food and love.

Periodic Contributor

All our pugs we found as puppies at the flea market. I'm sure they came from puppy mills. Out cats came to us a little kittens whose mothers were strays in our neighborhood (we found out later) we took them in and fed them and adopted them.

Contributor

So happy to hear they are taken care of...awesome!!!
Regular Contributor

I have a Jack Russell Terrier that I dearly love.  I guess she could be called a Jack Russell Terror.  LOL. She is devoted, loyal, and fiercely protective of me.  But I think that is characteristic of the breed.

Contributor

Scottish Terrier very independent and sassy

Contributor

By far mini schnauzers. We have had a few others. But they are so playful and like all animals and people 

German Shepherd most dedicated dog you will find. 

Contributor

Miniature Schnauzer

Contributor

I have had always had a German Shepherd and at the moment have a male GS one year long. He is a very clever dog but is proving difficult to train but he will getaway from his bad habits if I spend a bit more time with him

Contributor

My favorite dog breed is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Just by looking at one will make you smile.  They love people and always wag their tails and smile when meeting people.  If you want to put a smile on your face, just look them up on Youtube.  There are many videos of them; the puppies are especially endearing.

Contributor

A delightful, smart, playful, friendly mini Goldendoodle. Life was too quiet when I retired and I needed a friend to walk with.

She's 8 years old and still loves to play. When she hears children she's always ready to play. Great family dog.

Contributor

I have a 75lb labradoddle.  Best dog I ever had.  Smart, smart.  She is a labrador in sheeps clothing.

We had a labradoodle. Best dog ever. You are right, smart. Our dog, Murphy, lived to be a good age (15). He has been gone two years now, and we still miss him.
Contributor

We have had 4 Dobermans and they are great dogs. German Shepherd ranks high also.

Regular Contributor

Goldendoodle!

Contributor

My favorite breed, hands down, are Chow Chows.  

They catch a bad rap but I wouldn't have anything but.  I've lived with 3 and currently have a one year old male.  I love everything about the breed, the physical appearance is first of course but theres something about the quiet dignity and intense loyalty that agrees with my spirit.  Kuba2.jpg

Contributor

The first dog I rescued was a white chowchow. Wonderful dog, I think they were breed from polar bears
two coats,hollow hair, purple tongue, hair between toes to walk on snow, and groomed will look like a
p bear. very loving and loyal to their family, but courteous if introduced properly. (had two red rescues also the female had been badly raised but loved only me after rescue. bob
Contributor

Sighthounds!  Specifically Whippets.  They are gentle "couch potatoes" who can also sprint 35 mph.  I never tire of watching them, while running, kick into turbo drive mid-stride.  It is awe inspiring. After such a run, they are quite happy to retire to the sofa (or other soft place) to sleep for hours on end.  They are mostly non-barkers, are clean, requiring a bath a couple of times a year when their coat is dirty.  I cannot imagine life without a couple of Whippets in it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sighthounds! I have been in love with sighthounds since I was a little girl and we had a pair of Afghans. Later, I had a pair of Italian Greyhounds. Friends have retired racing Greyhounds, other friends have Irish Wolfhounds. For now I see enough sighthounds walking thier parents out on the rec trails. I just adore these dogs, and they seem to know it, for while they tend to be an aloof group, sighthounds seen while out and about usually come up to me for a chat. 🙂 We intend to get either a Whippet or a pair of IGs when we retire.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

I have 2 Italian greyhounds. Littermates. The most adorable, lazy, loving animals I have ever had. They are smart as get-out, trained in most areas easily, and just want to be loved!  They can be stubborn though. They love to travel with us and are great in the RV and on leash. 

Trusted Contributor

I have owned a spaniel, a Great Dane, a Westie, a Cairn terrier, a Spitz Mix, and I currently have a Llhaso Apso.  I have loved all of my dogs equally, but Llhasa has a place deep in my heart.  He was rescued in Georgia where he was found abandoned.  He had been terribly abused and had a broken hip, pelvis, femur and other signs of abuse.  He was very frightened when we goy him, very fearful, and did not like men at all.  It tooks many months of love, and guidance, and patience to make him into the absolute best companion I have ever had.  I will always get a rescue dog in the future.  The rewards of watching a dog learn how to trust and love again is an amazing thing to see.

Recognized Social Butterfly

German Shepherd is my favorite but I love mutts of all flavors.  My current pack leader is a shepherd & hound mix, Tessie.   She guards our property & cannot abide strangers.  I have tried to explain that some people are OK.  Nope, she will not have it.  

Contributor

We have a lab/shepherd that is the most intelligent and understanding dog I have ever known. We work with her Dailey and never stop training or showing her what we want. She is awsum! Rides to Fla from VA without being a bother and simply wants to be with us.

Donna and sammy

Contributor

My favorite dog is a chihuahua. They are so loveable. And devoted only to their master.
Regular Social Butterfly

My favorite breed is whatever breed of dog I have now. I've had many dogs over my lifetime. Each dog has always been my favorite. I've loved each and everyone. I cannot say which one was my favorite. Right now, I have a Doberman. Just as sweet as she can be. A very,. very active dog. Into everything. Each one of my dogs have a special place in my heart. Each one was special in their own way. There is one dog that never had a chance. Coco, a puppy that I had for only 1 week. Too painful to talk about. I must go on to happier thoughts. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP