Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 141 of 217

All of them.   They're dogs, all different, but all great.  Dogs are the coolest animals in the world.  I look at any of them (with the exception of a friend's little poodle, who hated me, barking, biting, etc...).  Any dog that doesn't like me (the ultimate dog lover) must be mutant.  The smartest most amazing, intuitive, intelligent, was a 22 lb. caramel colored wire haired terrier, some poodle, maybe more, but that was enough.  She learned the most difficult tricks in less than 5 minutes.  She had a strong herding instinct.  When group hiking on a trail, we she'd run from the beginning to the end of the line, and back, and back, and back, etc... counting us, making sure no one was missing.  We live along Lake Michigan and were hiking along the shore line.  She'd make a wide arc around us and move far enough away so that she could see (and count) all of us.  I had heard that some herders,  traveled across the backs ofostl the sheep or whoever to get to the other side.  We were watching a softball game, and so were sort of hunched forward when we noticed we were being walked on.  She loved people, but did have a favorite (me), and would worry, and sit at the door waiting for me, when I was gone.

Loyalty is definitely a terrier trait (pit bulls, all of em).  I was driving in Detroit, and as I entered the freeway, there was this little thing just sitting there (she was about 1 year old or less).  I stopped the car, opened the door, and in she hopped. There is no doubt in my mind that she had been dropped off there, and she was waiting to be picked up.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 142 of 217

I have loved the many dogs I've been blessed to have in my life. My little soul mate was a Pembroke Welch Corgi who unfortunately died too soon at age 9. I miss him every day. But I now have Dori, a mixed breed mostly Beagle. She is devoted to me, very loving, sleeps with me under the covers just as my Paddy used to do. Her soulful brown eyes say it all. She is very special.

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 143 of 217

I am an animal lover and love Rottweilers.  I love their character and appearance (muscular built). Rotties are easy to groom and if people know you have this type of dog on your property, they will think twice about burglarizing your home.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 144 of 217
Le Cherie - if you are awarded a hearing dog - any type of service dog - or psychiatric support dog - even a home that states "no dogs allowed" cannot prevent your dog from living with you per FEDERAL law. There are many different State mandates - but when all is said and done - Federal wins. FYI
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 145 of 217
English Cocker Spaniel. I bred, showed and trained them for over 20 years; owned at least 1 for another 10. I'd love to get another one!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 146 of 217

Greyhounds!  Loving and easy to care for.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 147 of 217

Has to be German Shepherd. I've had 3 of them and they were like my best friends in many ways

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 148 of 217

Black Labrador Retriever smart loyal part of the family

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 149 of 217

Standard Poodle, of which i now have two...Blondie and Henri.  They are so smart it is sometimes shocking, they catch on so fast!  Every dog I have ever owned was a favorite though...Cocker Spaniel growing up and two Greyhounds prior to the Poodles.  The Greyhounds got me used to dogs that don't bark and I am having to get used to barking again.

Sue

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 150 of 217

The favorite dog of my life was a black German Shepherd.  She just showed up one day when she was about 1 year old.  She developed degenerative myelopathy at age 9 and I had the cart for her hind end and kept her going for about a year.  She weighed over 100 lbs and it was very difficult.  I do not want to love another  dog like I loved her.  It was really too much. 

Border collie mixes and lab mixes are my next favorite flavor of dog.  Always wanted a poodle and a sheltie! 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season