Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 181 of 216

We always loved Boxers-so funny, friendly, family oriented, great with kids and absolute clowns!  We now have a terrier. retreiver mix and he is the smartest dog I have ever known.  He pretty well is my daughter's dog, though and just tolerates the rest of us.  He is an excellent watch dog but needs to be watched around strangers.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 182 of 216

I like all dogs but a late friend had Tosa Inus for a long time.  They were smart strong and beautiful.   But inmost case they are to big unless you have open space for themm to play in

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 216
Hands down, the American Pit Bull Terrier. The most loyal, loving and smart dogs you'll ever have the privilege of having in your life.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 216

@ck3509 wrote:

AKITA will always be my favorite but they're not for a first time owner and you must find a breeder who only breeds to improve the breeds comformation and temperament. You MUST be the ALPHA and know how to adapt that to the subborn Akita using positive reinforcement. Even if it's just a pet, it's important to socialize, socialize, socialize from the first day you bring them home from the breeder and keep socializing. If you do your homework and treat the Akita with respect you will have a loving, obedient family member in your household. 

Thanks for pointing out the importance of socializing,  This is important whatever the breed.  I'm lucky in that I've never had a "problem" dog but the absolute best one I've ever had was a 65-lb standard poodle.  She was  bred by a friend who also owned both her parents.  This was the first litter for all involved so she did a lot of reading first, including the socializing of the dogs.  In her research she learned that the third week after birth was the critical time for a pup so during that week she invited the entire neighborhood to her house for continuous coffee and cookies along with petting the ten balls of fur.  The  children were instructed to bring their friends home with them from school so the house was filled with humans of all ages.

Today if I were getting a new dog I would want one from one of the rescue organizations who had been fostered as a pup with a family, with other animals and children.  I think that's probably more important than the breed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 216

Pitbull, followed by German Shepherd, then Labs

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 216

AKITA will always be my favorite but they're not for a first time owner and you must find a breeder who only breeds to improve the breeds comformation and temperament. You MUST be the ALPHA and know how to adapt that to the subborn Akita using positive reinforcement. Even if it's just a pet, it's important to socialize, socialize, socialize from the first day you bring them home from the breeder and keep socializing. If you do your homework and treat the Akita with respect you will have a loving, obedient family member in your household. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 216

Our favorite breed now is a Rescue (currently an Australian cattle dog mix). But having said that, we also had a Chocolate Lab & a Black Lab and we loved those dogs too.  They have great personalities! And we had a Rescue that was Lab/Chow mix. I've heard that Chows have a "testy" personality. Fortunately our mix apparently had the Lab side personality. He was a sweetheart!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 216

Rottweiler.  A real family member.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 189 of 216

Since my grand dogs are two Golden Retrievers, I will have to go with Goldens as my favorite breed. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 216

As a 'pet' will take the Standard Beagle. As a hunting dog/companion will take the Labrador Retriever.

Kudos
Views