Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

I personally like the "Heinz 57" dogs.  The mix breeds.  Our Pemberley's Mom was Cocker Spaniel & her Dad was Brittney Spaniel & Saint Bernard.  My best friend was just the opposite having to have full breed dogs.  She passed away in April 2010.  That fall my daughter found a Yellow Lab in the road.  We brought her home, called town animal control & when no body claimed her we kept her naming her Honey.  I know that she was sent to us from Cathy.  Unfortunately, we lost her to cancer 1 1/2 years ago.

I have always loved Chihuahuas. I have had 2 purebreds, but know am the proud Mom of a terrhuahua. Her dad was a chihuahua and her mom was a fox terrier. She's much more active than my other dogs, but I lover her just as much.
Contributor

I love the Shih Tzu - their personalities are so cute. We adopted an older Shih Tzu from Friends of Pets & she was the best dog. For a small dog she was fearless when we went for walks, she would bark at larger dogs as if she was talking to them. She also had a skip when we walked like she was happy to be outside. I was heartbroken when she became ill & died. I have plans to get 2 Shih Tzu's when my home building project is finished.

Contributor

I love dachs because not only did I have one as a child, but as a disabled adult with social anxity disorder, I have a very well behaved black & tan that goes everywhere with me.  He remains quiet when out, never begs for food at resturants, and if I need to go into the kitchen at church, where I do not think dogs belong, I can set him on a chair, go get my glass of ice water, and he will be in the same place I left him when I return.  The only training he has had is from me carrying him around since he was a very young puppy.  I do have a note from my psych. Dr, saying that I need him with me.

Skeeter
Periodic Contributor

Hot dog with mustard and onions...
Contributor

Toy Poodle!

Basically I love all dogs - big, little, pure breeds, mixed, doesn't matter.  My baby now is 10 years old and part chihauhau and part terrier.  She is the sweetest, genleist, most loving, smart dog I have ever had and I have had a lot of dogs.  I think rescue dogs are the best.  They look at you with such love in their beautiful eyes, like saying thank you for saving me and giving me a forever home.  I don't undertand how someone could abuse an animal.  I always told my kids that animals are God's creatures just like us and should be treated with love and respect and gentleness.  I am 72 years old and my little Pookie is my loving companion and my forever sweetheart.

Labrador Retriever

Contributor

My husband and I always loved Golden Retrievers and Labs (white, chocolate and black). We have a flat-coated retriever now and we think he is the best breed of all!

Contributor

Favorite dog breed? That's a tough one! I have had a lifetime of wonderful dogs, of many different breeds, and some mixed and cross breeds, all unique and awesome, each in it's own way. If I would have to choose only one breed, I suppose I would have to chose one I rescued a few years back. All my dogs but two have been rescues, by the way. I lost the dog to cancer, but he owned my heart. H.e was a big, beautiful, loyal, loving, intelligent Rottweiler. The moment our eyes met, there was a connection. He sold me on the breed, he was everything I ever desired in a dog, in a friend. I loved him with all my heart and he made me decide that I never wanted to go through life without a Rottweiler. I have four other dogs, two wonderful Border Collies and two tiny Chihauhau's .
Contributor

The West Highland White Terrier or Westie. Perfect for people who are allergic to pet dander.
Contributor

I have since I was a small child had big dogs. My dad and mom loved big dogs. We had Labrador, German Shepherd, Irish Setters, Chow chow mix with Labrador. Hound dog, and Doberman Pincher. plus a wonderful Airedale. Big dogs rule in my house. My dogs were well trained and socialized . It's takes a lot of love and patience. I loved all my dogs. They were pure bred dogs and also mixed heritage dogs that came from anti-cruelty center for cats and dogs. 10 years ago I bought my first little dog ( a gift for my mom) a creme colored toy poodle, a little male poodle. My first small dog. I love to run with my dogs in the park. What can this little dog do? He was beautiful but little. WOW DOUBLE WOW !!! My little dog is THE BOMB !! AWESOME ! He is so much fun , caring ( affectionate with my mom, and patient with her). Terry would walk next to her and wait for her.Always at her side. He was like a mini Labrador service dog. Poodles are beautiful and smart too.I trained him well and is very socialized. But Terry himself knew my mom had special needs. She had a cane and walker , and he never got in her way. Terry is all heart. I also have a chihuahua , a lititle male. Terry and Penny (my mom named him) are buddies. Penny is Awesome. He is a great watch dog. All day. Always on guard like last night when there was an intruder in my building. So thankful for Penny. You can't imagine how much. I truly love all dogs. They are precious. Cats? All my dogs grew up with cats. My dogs were gentle with them. I love cats. Patience, the right training, kindness understanding and love, this is what our pets need. All our furry friends are precious. Please be understanding and kind to all animals. Thank you.
Periodic Contributor

I have had 7 GSD over the past 20 years. They are the best and one of the brightest of the breeds although I love the mutts as well.
Periodic Contributor

My favorite dogs are other peoples dogs. I don't have to feed them, get up in the middle of the night to let them out, and then get up to let them in. And I don't have to take them to the Vet. But over the past 15 years other people have moved off and left their dogs behind to survive on their own. At one time we had over ten dogs. I've found out that no matter how much you feed them they won't leave. We are down to one dog now and he's about 15 years old. When he's gone no more dogs.
Contributor

We always loved Boxers-so funny, friendly, family oriented, great with kids and absolute clowns!  We now have a terrier. retreiver mix and he is the smartest dog I have ever known.  He pretty well is my daughter's dog, though and just tolerates the rest of us.  He is an excellent watch dog but needs to be watched around strangers.

Periodic Contributor

I like all dogs but a late friend had Tosa Inus for a long time.  They were smart strong and beautiful.   But inmost case they are to big unless you have open space for themm to play in

Contributor

Hands down, the American Pit Bull Terrier. The most loyal, loving and smart dogs you'll ever have the privilege of having in your life.
Periodic Contributor

rescued pit bull mix are the best.

Contributor

Pitbull, followed by German Shepherd, then Labs

Periodic Contributor

AKITA will always be my favorite but they're not for a first time owner and you must find a breeder who only breeds to improve the breeds comformation and temperament. You MUST be the ALPHA and know how to adapt that to the subborn Akita using positive reinforcement. Even if it's just a pet, it's important to socialize, socialize, socialize from the first day you bring them home from the breeder and keep socializing. If you do your homework and treat the Akita with respect you will have a loving, obedient family member in your household. 

There simply is no other breed that compares with the Akita. I have owned four, from a breeder, and each was over 100lbs at adulthood, yet gentle as a lamb. They are devoted family members. My last Akita was 15 when he passed... I miss him everyday.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ck3509 wrote:

AKITA will always be my favorite but they're not for a first time owner and you must find a breeder who only breeds to improve the breeds comformation and temperament. You MUST be the ALPHA and know how to adapt that to the subborn Akita using positive reinforcement. Even if it's just a pet, it's important to socialize, socialize, socialize from the first day you bring them home from the breeder and keep socializing. If you do your homework and treat the Akita with respect you will have a loving, obedient family member in your household. 

Thanks for pointing out the importance of socializing,  This is important whatever the breed.  I'm lucky in that I've never had a "problem" dog but the absolute best one I've ever had was a 65-lb standard poodle.  She was  bred by a friend who also owned both her parents.  This was the first litter for all involved so she did a lot of reading first, including the socializing of the dogs.  In her research she learned that the third week after birth was the critical time for a pup so during that week she invited the entire neighborhood to her house for continuous coffee and cookies along with petting the ten balls of fur.  The  children were instructed to bring their friends home with them from school so the house was filled with humans of all ages.

Today if I were getting a new dog I would want one from one of the rescue organizations who had been fostered as a pup with a family, with other animals and children.  I think that's probably more important than the breed.

Contributor

Our favorite breed now is a Rescue (currently an Australian cattle dog mix). But having said that, we also had a Chocolate Lab & a Black Lab and we loved those dogs too.  They have great personalities! And we had a Rescue that was Lab/Chow mix. I've heard that Chows have a "testy" personality. Fortunately our mix apparently had the Lab side personality. He was a sweetheart!

Contributor

Rottweiler.  A real family member.

Contributor

Since my grand dogs are two Golden Retrievers, I will have to go with Goldens as my favorite breed. 

Regular Contributor

As a 'pet' will take the Standard Beagle. As a hunting dog/companion will take the Labrador Retriever.

Contributor

Our current dog is nine-year-old Golden Doodle. He is smart (Poodle & Golden Retriever), sweet, loving, and great with children (Golden Retriever), and doesn't shed (Poodle). He just wants to please us, spend time with us, and be touched. He understands everything I say to him. It doesn't get much better than this.
Contributor

Irish wolfhound-- we've owned 10 over the years and miss each one of them.

Contributor

I love German Sheperds. The GSD is loyal and very protective of their family. Hard working and eager to please these dogs make you very happy. I have owned golden retrievers labs and beagles as well but my favorite is the Sheperds.
Contributor

Beagles rule!
Ken Somers
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP