Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 211 of 217
@retiredtraveler wrote:

Black labs then yellow labs. A dog is not a dog unless it weighs at least 30 pounds (I know, I'll get flamed).

I tend to like the "working dogs" too, which are usually large. The one dog I had as a kid, was a mixed breed .. small/medium, curly hair & webbed feet! Appearance-wise, I love the Samoyeds, Great Pyrenee, as well as Newfoundlands & Bernese Mountain Dogs. But they're not the "smartest" breeds, so that might be a problem.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 212 of 217

Along this same line, I really need an Hearing Dog, but my current home won't qualify.  But I'll be moving sometime this year and I've found that where I'm moving too has a source for the HD and they're matched up with us according to needs mostly.  The dogs are mostly rescues, so I'm liable to get most any breed.  I may not have a lot of choice, but that's just fine.  I've been house 'n mostly dog sitting for a few years and have enjoyed a lot of different breeds.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 213 of 217

Black labs then yellow labs. A dog is not a dog unless it weighs at least 30 pounds (I know, I'll get flamed).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 214 of 217

This is such a difficult question!  Each dog, even in the same breed, has it's own personality.  I've had three poodles (2 standards and one miniature) and I love that breed, even though all three of them have been very different.  My only problem with the poodles was the necessary grooming, but they don't shed which is an advantage.  I've also had two mixes breeds, a probably beagle mix an a chow mix, which have been great dogs.

I'll have to say that my heart melts when I see a golden retriever puppy (or adult for that matter) although I've never had one or really been around one.  I'm rather partial to dogs with long hair even though they shed all over the place.  Our childhood dog was a cocker spaniel (probable mix) who was the best dog ever.  My mother loved Pekingese dogs that were beautiful and she loved them.  I did not choose to carry on the family tradition although they provided some interesting stories.  Those were the only dogs that ever bit me.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 215 of 217

This is a tough question to consider.When my siblings and I were growing up we always had a dog. Over the years we had a beagle,Irish setter,English cocker spaniel,,couple mixed breeds. Our last dog was a golden retreiver which we had for 14yrs.I've always like yellow&black labs and golden retriever,these are my favorites. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 216 of 217

Always the Bullmastiff.  They're large enough to intimidate unwanted strangers, yet quiet.  But let someone outside do something they should not, and they give a very low-pitched, growly bark.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 217 of 217

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera