Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled!

Message 1 of 5

In Response to RE: URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled! by drmartybecker

Aw shucks :-) What breaks my heart the most is how many rescue groups and feral cat caregivers rely on the cheaper brands of pet food to feed the animals they care for. There is nothing worse than thinking you were helping and finding out you were hurting... these companies make me SO mad!!

Adrienne

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

In Response to RE: URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled! by dearmasa

You're a HERO! I've heard of at least one veterinarian doing the same thing during the earlier recalls. Bravo to you!

Dr. Marty Becker

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

In Response to URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled! by drmartybecker

Here's something else you can do to help:

During the Menu Foods recall a few years ago, an animal rescue group I work with suggested that everyone go do a check at their local grocery store or superstore for the recalled brands. When I went to our local Kroger, there were the recalled cans of food in the deep discount bin!! I immediately went to the manager, showed him a copy of the recall, and asked him to remove the food from the public. He actually hesitated! So then I reminded him of the fact that the poor and elderly people on fixed incomes often resort to pet food for themselves and he finally agreed to remove the cans from public access while I waited.

So please, go to your local Kroger (or store on the list) and make sure that the recalled food is not on the shelves!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled!

Message 4 of 5

It's URGENT that we share this news. Can I ask for your help? Kroger is recalling dog and cat food sold in Kroger, Dillons, Gerbes, Baker’s, Food 4 Less, Jay C, Hilander, Owen’s, Pay Less, and Scott’s stores. We are having a disturbing number of comments on our blog from people who lost pets. Check the food and if your pet ate any, call your veterinarian. And then call the FDA to report the problem and the company.

More information here.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

URGENT: Grocery store brand pet foods recalled!

Message 4 of 5

It's URGENT that we share this news. Can I ask for your help? Kroger is recalling dog and cat food sold in Kroger, Dillons, Gerbes, Baker’s, Food 4 Less, Jay C, Hilander, Owen’s, Pay Less, and Scott’s stores. We are having a disturbing number of comments on our blog from people who lost pets. Check the food and if your pet ate any, call your veterinarian. And then call the FDA to report the problem and the company.

More information here.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Replies