You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat

Message 1 of 8

In Response to RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat by slee15

The Humane Society where I live will not see animals for any reason. Except, they do have a neutering program that is very reasonable. However, even though a vet of course see's the animal and does the surgery, and they check the ears and for fleas, they will not write a prescription. In fact, most difficult in another of my cat's who I just had neutered there, he has a yeast infection in his ears and they will not treat or write a prescription. My regulare ver (who is no longer because of the food stuff and more) did agree to fill a prescription even though they had not seen the kitten. I phone the Humane Society and was told they do not write prescriptions. Largely I gather, because in this case anyway, they do not do a culture. The vet is just going by what she see's with her instrument. Which is good enough medicine for me, and certainly was years ago. Sometimes this high tech stuff is just killing us. I suppose you could argue that I cannot afford to have pets. But two of my three I've had for years and I do not think giving them up would benefit them. Ah well.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

In Response to RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat by bfgrty

If your Humane society with a vet on staff they can see your cat and write a prescription for the food and you can order it on line.  That won't solve the problem of it being expensive but it will cost less than at the vet's office and you can get it whenever you need it.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

In Response to RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat by Countess

Thank you for responding. I did call my Humane Society and they see animals or dispense food, nor did they have any suggestions. In their favor however they do have a inexpensive neutering and vaccination program.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

In Response to RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat by bfgrty

Have you tried your local Humane Society some of them offer vet care at a discounted price it is worth a try.  So sorry to hear of your situation.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

In Response to RE: Special Expensive UR Food for cat by drmartybecker

Thank you for your reply. I scraped up enough money to go buy the food Sat but was told because it has now been over a year since he was seen they will not even sell it to me! Yet I has been told he would have to stay on it the rest of his life. I cannot afford to have him seen. I long for the day of the low tech low cost vet. Really what can it hurt them to "allow" me to buy that food. Everyone's so afraid of law suits it's become an incrediable barrier to kindness and logic.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

In Response to Special Expensive UR Food for cat by bfgrty

Please talk to your veterinarian about options. In my work as a practicing veterinarian, I often recommend therapeutic diets, and I believe they really can help with the conditions they're meant to address.

That said, your veterinarian may have some suggestions.

Whatever you do, know that it's important for your cat to stay well-hydrated. Many cats will drink more if fresh, filtered water is always available through a fountain, which I why I like the recommend these products. Both Drinkwell and Petmate make good ones.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Special Expensive UR Food for cat

Message 7 of 8

My cat has to have a special food...UR by Royal Canin, otherwise his urinary tract blocks very easily. I am currently withoutu a job and really stressed about how I am to find the money for this food. It's expensive. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Special Expensive UR Food for cat

Message 7 of 8

My cat has to have a special food...UR by Royal Canin, otherwise his urinary tract blocks very easily. I am currently withoutu a job and really stressed about how I am to find the money for this food. It's expensive. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kudos
Views
Replies