When it comes to your workout, there's a good reason not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Small Dogs & Anesthesia

Message 1 of 6

In Response to RE: Small Dogs & Anesthesia by davelindac5

Thanks for the progress report, davelindac5. Great to know all went well. My best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

UPDATE: The surgery is complete and all went well. It was over 8 yrs. ago that this vet lost him twice and she remembered him well.  She talked with total confidence about her protocol with him.  Much different than the vet who told me he would not feel comfortable using anesthesia on this animal.  He had also said that the tumor was a much greater problem to remove possibly damaging the sphincter causing loss of control.  The vet who performed the surgery said it was quite simple since it isn't deep. Except for the sutures it looks good and no loss of control whatever.  I took a printout of the article from the site you referred about anesthesia.  She still gasses down some and I said no to that and gave her the printout.  Echo tolerated the whole procedure real well and is doing great.  There are 3 incisions.  One for the hidden testicle, one for the second, and one where the tumor was located.  He's sore but anxious to be set free from his cage.  It's hard to keep a MinPin down!  Again, thanks for your help.  I felt like I went with good info to make the best decision and it all ended well.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

In Response to RE: Small Dogs & Anesthesia by drmartybecker

Thank you so much for your speedy reply since tomorrow I will be taking my MinPin to the vet who nearly lost him several years ago to discuss how to deal with this dilemma.  It has been more than 8 yrs. ago and I was hoping that there might be better options now.  This vet said at the time that she was comfortable gassing him down.  Now after reading the excellant info by Christie Keith I feel I am better informed and better prepared to talk to the vet and try to choose the best way for my dog.  Had I not read this info I would have insisted only gas be used unless she were to convince me there are safer methods now.  I can't tell you how thankful I am to have been guided to this great info before this decision was made.  Thanks again so very much for your reply and also for the good luck wishes.  I hope others find this info as valuable as I have.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

In Response to Small Dogs & Anesthesia by davelindac5

Davelindac5,

To gas or not to gas. That is the question.  In short, though you might have read other information from people elsewhere, your veterinarian has the right idea. To induce anaesthesia, it's very common, and in fact best, to start off with an IV as an initial sedative. This "puts them under," and makes it much easier to insert a breathing tube and then go with a gas anaesthetic to keep them under during a procedure. My good friend Christie Keith wrote a terrific post on the anaesthesia myths that are out there for my Pet Connection website. You can see it here.

Of course any drug, including anaesthesia, always carries some risk, just like it does with people. With older animals, risks can increase, so it's best to always talk it over carefully with a veterinarian that you trust, and weigh the risks and rewards of the choices available.  Good luck with your decision, and I hope everything goes well for the little guy.

Dr. Marty Becker
"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Small Dogs & Anesthesia

Message 5 of 6

My MinPin crashed twice and was saved prior to his neuter surgery and so the surgery was not performed.  The vet felt it was a reaction to the injectable used prior to gas that caused the problems and said she felt comfortable using gas only should we decide to go ahead with the surgery in the future.  We decided to not risk the surgery until now because at age 9 yrs. he has a benign perianal adenoma.  The vet who diagnosed the tumor said he was not comfortable using anesthesia on this dog and when I asked about using only gas he seemed somewhat angry at me and said that is way too stressful on an animal and he would never do it that way and furthermore it is more risky. I am questioning this vet's knowledge as I have read on other pet forums that using only gas is probably a safer choice for small animals. I am very confused and stressed about this and I would just like enough info to be able to make an informed decision about what is best for this little guy. He weighs about 5 lbs.  I'm sure others might also have questions about anesthesia .  Do you have any thoughts you could share about this subject?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Small Dogs & Anesthesia

Message 5 of 6

My MinPin crashed twice and was saved prior to his neuter surgery and so the surgery was not performed.  The vet felt it was a reaction to the injectable used prior to gas that caused the problems and said she felt comfortable using gas only should we decide to go ahead with the surgery in the future.  We decided to not risk the surgery until now because at age 9 yrs. he has a benign perianal adenoma.  The vet who diagnosed the tumor said he was not comfortable using anesthesia on this dog and when I asked about using only gas he seemed somewhat angry at me and said that is way too stressful on an animal and he would never do it that way and furthermore it is more risky. I am questioning this vet's knowledge as I have read on other pet forums that using only gas is probably a safer choice for small animals. I am very confused and stressed about this and I would just like enough info to be able to make an informed decision about what is best for this little guy. He weighs about 5 lbs.  I'm sure others might also have questions about anesthesia .  Do you have any thoughts you could share about this subject?

Kudos
Views
Replies