With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Seizure in dogs

Message 1 of 9

My 5 lb. male MinPin began having episodes that I compare to being like a "fainting goat".  He tips over and is limp for a short time then seems a bit dazed for a bit.  The first time this happened I thought he had a heart attack and was gone.  I quickly picked him up and he was just limp all over.  Because of his size I was concerned about side effects of medications. So I researched and I found a homeopathic remedy from Native Remedies called "EaseSure".  I give him 3 drops morning and evening.  He has not had an episode for more than a year.  He recently had surgery and my vet even told me to give it to him as usual that morning. 

Another benefit of this product has been that he is much more relaxed and more calm.  He sleeps more sound, eats better, and isn't as nervous as he used to be.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

In Response to RE: Seizure in dogs by lipplounge

One of our doxies also had seizures that potassium bormide was able to control.  At first I had to drive 40 miles to a pharmacy that could compond it.  Then the local pharmacy in our small community responded to the needs of pet owners and started componding meds for pets.  It was affordable too, and being on a fixed income this made such a difference.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

In Response to RE: Seizure in dogs by luvchihuah

I had a Dachshund that had epileptic seizures.  Instead of phenobarbital my veterinarian suggested potassium bromide.  For her it was just as effective in controlling the seizures but did not have the long-term side effects of the phenobarb.  The potassium bromide was less expensive than the phenobarb.  She had bloodwork done once a year just to make sure the levels of the med in her system were consistent. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

In Response to RE: Seizure in dogs by runwiththewind

The exact cause of the seizures in unknown.   I'm told it is similar to epilepsy.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

In Response to RE: Seizure in dogs by drmartybecker

I'll ask the questions to my vet next month when the blood work is due.  Thanks for your clarification for the need for her to have the tests.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

In Response to Seizure in dogs by luvchihuahuas

Do you know the cause of the seizures?  I read that spot ons can cause them.

www.whosyourvet.com

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

In Response to Seizure in dogs by luvchihuahuas

Seizures are so frightening, and can be stressful for everyone involved with the pet's care. With people, doctors can ask the patient questions about how they're doing, and other questions to pin down some diagnostic issues. Because our pets can't answer our questions, veterinarians rely heavily on diagnostic testing to get both big answers and little clues to how they're doing. Monitoring your dog's bloodwork on a regular basis can help your veterinarian have a baseline of what your dog's "normal" is, and potentially catch treatable conditions early.

Even if you know you won't be removing your dog from this particular medication, there may be other things that can be done to mitigate the damage, but it can only happen IF it's caught early. That allows your dog to stay on the seizure medication safely.

But the real message I'd have for you is this, and it's something you should always ask your veterinarian, "How will the results of this test affect the pet's treatment?" You have a dog with a serious medical condition that will require lifelong care. Seizures can be lessened, but they don't usually go away for good. You and your veterinarian need to be a team, and have open and good communication about the pros and cons of everything being done for your pet. Definitely let him or her know that finances are a concern, and ask if there are any ways to lessen the expense of your dog's treatment, including possibly eliminating or reducing the frequency of periodic bloodwork. If your chihuahua is stable and the seizures aren't increasing, adding a month or two between bloodwork may work. Don't discontinue it, though, because then you could miss a sign that something's wrong that your veterinarian could help address. Good luck with the treatment!

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Seizure in dogs

Message 8 of 9

My 7 year old Chihuahua stared having seizures about a year ago.  She is currently taking  phenobarbital16mg/2x daily.  She has a breakthrough about every 5-6 weeks.   My vet reccomends blood work every 6 months to check organ function.   My question - even if her liver or kidney is being adversely affected by the pheobarbital - the meds won't be discontinued as it is keeping the seizures under control.  Sooo... Why do the testing at $110 every 6 mo.???

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Seizure in dogs

Message 8 of 9

My 7 year old Chihuahua stared having seizures about a year ago.  She is currently taking  phenobarbital16mg/2x daily.  She has a breakthrough about every 5-6 weeks.   My vet reccomends blood work every 6 months to check organ function.   My question - even if her liver or kidney is being adversely affected by the pheobarbital - the meds won't be discontinued as it is keeping the seizures under control.  Sooo... Why do the testing at $110 every 6 mo.???

Kudos
Views
Replies