There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Saying Goodbye to My Baby

Message 41 of 44

I went through this in February.

Our dog, Gracie, was 19 years and 9 months old. Over the last couple of years, her eyesight declined, her hearing declined, she became unable to walk easily but she kept eating and doing her other functions. It is so hard to know when the correct time is. Finally, she had seizures two nights in a row. Our vet, that had been through all the other health issues with her and had said, in the past, we could forge ahead... this time she said it was time. We agreed.

But you always second guess yourself.

But the dog usually knows. Gracie was not a lap dog; but her last day she slept in my lap for two hours. Not eating is another sign.

My thoughts are with you.

Keep looking for a vet that comes to the house. We didn't do that but I wish we had.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 44

So so sorry about your Brandi. I have gone through this in 2011 with my Alex. It is hard to say good bye to them. Hugs.

Janine
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 44

I'm sorry your Brandi is declining; been there with all my pets thru the years .. it doesn't get easier. Sounds like she's had a wonderful, long life with you as her Mom!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Saying Goodbye to My Baby

Message 44 of 44

Over the past week I've been in the process of coming to terms with the fact that the end is near for my beloved Brandi.  She's an old dog, about 16 years old.  

I think she might have had a mild stroke in January and hasn't been quite right since then but it's been the past week that she's gotten so much weaker and not eating like she had been before.  She totally refuses her usual dog food and today even the chicken was left untouched.

I quit letting her use the doggie door to go into the back yard last week, which was a good thing since there was a storm just a few minutes after I finally got her inside and then a big tree fell.  It could have hit her if she was still out there.  

I decided to let her use the front yard but she had to be carried back in the 3 days I let her out there.  Luckily there were neighbors to help.  I can't lift a 50-lb dog who doesn't want to cooperate.  

I've been trying to find a vet who can come to the house when I think it's time, but I haven't had any luck so far.  She hates the vet and the last time I tried to take her she was terrified.  Her old vet retired and I haven't found her a new one.  I keep thinking of how terrified she was that last time and I just can't do that to her.  I'm hoping she just passes here with me where she is comfortable.

But I'm so sad about losing her.  I don't think she's in pain, but I can tell she's getting weaker.  She just managed to climb onto the sofa and find her favorite spot.  I'm glad she can still do that.  

We can use all kind thoughts and prayers for the days to come.

Kudos
Views
Replies