Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Saying Goodbye to My Baby

Message 31 of 44

My sweet Brandi crossed the Rainbow Bridge at about 5:00 this morning.  The last 12 hours or so were very difficult for us both,  Yesterday afternoon she tried to climb on the sofa again and was too weak to make it.  She fell over backwards.  I don't know if she hurt herself or if it just frightened her but after that I tried once again to find a mobile vet.  I seem to live in a no-man's land for that kind of help.  I found one to the south, the east and the north of here but was out of everybody's territory, especially late Friday afternoon.

I was really surprised that she held on as long as she did so I'm very sad but also relieved that it's over now.  I can't tell you how many times over the past almost two weeks I've checked to see if she was breathing.  I'm glad I didn't take her to the vet last week or even yesterday.  I think it was kinder to let her go here at home.  I called the Petuary this morning at 7:00 and they picked her up at 10:00.  I was very impressed at how nice they were.  A friend came over and brought me some lunch since I've rather neglected at lot of things over the past few days.

I want to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers.  They are greatly appreciated,.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 44

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Brandi. You both were in my prayers last night when I went to bed  and again this morning when I woke up. You have friends here, PattyDiane.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 44

@PattyDiane  I know this is a nerve wracking time for you.  You seem like you are handling well.  I get so upset & nervous that I can hardly breathe & I am unable to make good decisions.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 44

@PattyDiane wrote:

As of right now Brandi is still hanging in there even though it's been almost 3 days since she's eaten anything.  She is still drinking water and she was still able to climb up on the sofa with me last night.  Every now and then she has trouble getting up after lying down, especially if she's on the hard wood floor or in the kitchen.  She has much better luck on the carpet, but when she needs help she calls me.  Then she walks around a bit before lying back down.  She's getting weaker but doesn't seem to be in pain.  When she calls me it's the same cry she's made ever since I've had her.  It even reminds me of the days when she would "sing" with the church bells in the neighborhood and that makes me smile.

Patty,  Thank you for the update.  And thank you for sharing about Brandi's singing with the church bells in the neighborhood - the idea of that puts a smile on my face.  Pam

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 44

As of right now Brandi is still hanging in there even though it's been almost 3 days since she's eaten anything.  She is still drinking water and she was still able to climb up on the sofa with me last night.  Every now and then she has trouble getting up after lying down, especially if she's on the hard wood floor or in the kitchen.  She has much better luck on the carpet, but when she needs help she calls me.  Then she walks around a bit before lying back down.  She's getting weaker but doesn't seem to be in pain.  When she calls me it's the same cry she's made ever since I've had her.  It even reminds me of the days when she would "sing" with the church bells in the neighborhood and that makes me smile.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 44

Patty,  Since I had been in touch with you privately about Brandi, I had not posted anything here at AARP.  But I am glad you have shared your burden with your AARP friends, as we surely all want to support you as you go through this difficult time.  My thoughts and prayers are with you & Brandi - may she go peacefully, if it is her time to go.  Let us hear from you, as you feel able.  I believe you have told us you gave Brandi a home, after she was found abandoned at roadside - she was surely blessed the day she met up with you & your good heart. Heart   Pam    

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 44

@PattyDiane Patty, perhaps there is a mobile vet in your area?  Some vets charge quite a bit to come out, especially if you are not a regular with them.

What I have done several times is to get the tranquilizers from the vet ahead of time, administer about an hour before you must do it and you have help available for lifting. After the tranquilizer has taken effect they usually do not worry so much when they are placed in the car.  I sometimes request that the vet come to the car if there is enough room for them to work.  

The above sounds like an ordeal but it has worked for me with several dogs weighing close to 100 lbs.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 44

PattyDiane, My dear e-mail friend, I am so very sorry. The tears right now are streaming down my face. There are many of us on line that share in your sorrow. As I have posted before, we lost Patches a little over 4 months ago and I lost Jasmine 2 years ago. The hardest thing is to say good-bye, but you must remember the caring and loving home that you provided for Brandi. To love so much to have to let go is so very hard to do. We were fortunate in the fact we were able to have a vet come out to the house to put Jasmine down but that has not always been the case.Again I want to say to you hold on to the fact of what a good home you provided for Brandi, if she had lived with someone else maybe she would not have had the kind of loving home  that you provided. I'll keep the both of you in my prayers. Hang in there. Please keep us up dated. 

Your e-mail friend, Margaret 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 44

Feeling your sadness as I read your post, we put both our two dogs down at the same time three years ago.  We were so fortunate that a member of our church was a retired vet and he lived out in the country.  My husband took them both, held them both, and buried them both.  I do not know how he found the strength to do that, but he was so glad to do it this way, peaceful and in his arms. Certainly hope you will find the strength also, and that it will be peaceful as well.  You will have a lot of us keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 44

PattyDiane,I'm sorry to hear about Brandi,hope you can find a vet that will help you. The last dog we had was a golden retriever,TY she was 14 when she went. . I have a ceramic golden retriever sitting on my small table her dogtags around it.Every day I look at it I think of the wonderful,funny memories she brought to our family.Even though this happened 30yrs ago,some days it feels like yesterday

I will keep you in my prayers ,thankyou for telling us about this. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views