With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Receive or give a pet as a gift?

Message 1 of 4

In Response to RE: Receive or give a pet as a gift? by snowybarb

Barb, why can't a gift be carefully planned?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Receive or give a pet as a gift?

Message 2 of 4

In Response to Receive or give a pet as a gift? by drmartybecker

No, too many animals end of at the SPCA if the individual or family is not ready to take on the responsibility of a pet.  One needs to be prepared for all aspects of having pets and most are not.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Receive or give a pet as a gift?

Message 3 of 4

I've had some changes in my thinking over the years about giving pets as gifts. I'm still against it if it's not carefully planned for, but I think it's often a very wonderful choice for a family to make. (You can read more about my thoughts on this here in my weekly newspaper feature for Pet Connection.)

Have you ever ignored the "pets as gifts" naysayers and given, or received, a pet as a gift?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Receive or give a pet as a gift?

Message 3 of 4

I've had some changes in my thinking over the years about giving pets as gifts. I'm still against it if it's not carefully planned for, but I think it's often a very wonderful choice for a family to make. (You can read more about my thoughts on this here in my weekly newspaper feature for Pet Connection.)

Have you ever ignored the "pets as gifts" naysayers and given, or received, a pet as a gift?

Kudos
Views
Replies