Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

RE: Puppy at 60 years of age

Message 1 of 4

In Response to Puppy at 60 years of age by Beyond50

My husband retired earlier this year and sat around the house alone waiting to have shoulder replacement surgery.  We had an eleven year old Chocolate Labrador Retriever, Durango, that had to be put to sleep because of cancer just three weeks before my husband retired.  Durango and my husband were best "buds"  and it tore me up when after we had Durango put down my husband commented that he had had a feeling Durango would not be around when he retired.  We talked about getting another dog, but decided to wait until after my husband fully recovered from his shoulder surgery.

One day about a month before my husband's surgery he commented that he was bored just sitting around the house by himself, and I already suspected that he was depressed.  Even though he was not ready to get another dog I knew that a dog would be the best therapy for him before and after his surgery.

Not telling my husband, I researched local newspaper ads and found a 4 month old female Yellow Lab up for adoption.  When I brought Cheyenne home I told my husband that Cheyenne was not another "dog" but that she was a "companion".  Well, needless to say, it took him all of about 30 minutes to fall in love with Cheyenne.  Now Cheyenne is his "baby girl".

My husband has had his surgery and is now going through physical therapy.  What a huge difference Cheyenne has made in my husband's depression.  Cheyenne is now 7 months old and my husband bonds with her more and more every day.  She's becoming a little diva and will always be our "baby girl" .  One of the best decisions I've ever made was to adopt Cheyenne.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Puppy at 60 years of age

Message 2 of 4

In Response to Puppy at 60 years of age by Beyond50

Puppies are high energy and lots of work. If you are an active 60, then go for it. But I would recommend a little older dog who is past puppyhood.

I adopted two seniors and had no idea how old they were when I adopted them (you can’t tell how old Chinese Crested dogs are like you can other breeds). They were with me only 2-1/2 and 5-1/2 years, but those were the best years of their lives (one had been a puppy mill mom and the other we don’t know) and certainly the best years of mine. I know people say they don’t like to take a chance on an older dog because they can’t stand death but even with puppies and young dogs you never know how long they will be with you. I had a 2-1/2 year old dog I had to have put to sleep due to neurological issues. That was far more painful than the natural passing of my seniors of old age.

There are a lot of older dogs out there who need homes and I strongly recommend adopting from a shelter or rescue. You can find almost any breed you want from rescues and even if they aren’t housebroken, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. I will always take in the seniors. They aren’t with me long, but I can not begin to describe the joy they bring. I have never known more grateful creatures as my rescued seniors!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Puppy at 60 years of age

Message 3 of 4

I forgot how hard it was to rasie when you are up in years. I had a lot of fun rasing Sammy that his name.His name was Sammy when I got him 2 years ago not my choice. He has become a great compain for me I have trained him to a scooter(wheel Chair) and it was not esay at all. We are still learning.

If you like to stay busy then raise a puppy its rewarding when you can say I did it at the age of 60yrs and handicap to.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Puppy at 60 years of age

Message 3 of 4

I forgot how hard it was to rasie when you are up in years. I had a lot of fun rasing Sammy that his name.His name was Sammy when I got him 2 years ago not my choice. He has become a great compain for me I have trained him to a scooter(wheel Chair) and it was not esay at all. We are still learning.

If you like to stay busy then raise a puppy its rewarding when you can say I did it at the age of 60yrs and handicap to.

Kudos
Views
Replies