Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: New Beginnings

Message 1 of 28

Hi! My daughter and her husband adopted an adult cat (7 years old) from the Animal Human Society here in Minnesota.  He is a lovely cat and quiet. Both of their previous animals (dog and cat) had died a couple years ago from old age. They had Doz and Scoochie for many years so it was sad when they died a few months within each other. However, I am happy to see them adopt again an animal needing a loving home like theirs. When they brought Charles home he within a week developed a "kitty cold" which I am told is something animals can come down with when coming from the Animal Human Society. Charles was taken to the vet by my daughter and her husband and he has his antibiotic to take for his cold now. I get to care for Charles when they have to travel on business (like this week). Charles and I are getting to know eachother and his cold is better.  I live in an apartment where no pets are allowed, so for me to care for Charles is such a delight. I think Charles likes me too!

20190126_082346.jpg

Molly C.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 28

Hi! My daughter and her husband adopted an adult cat (7 years old) from the Animal Human Society here in Minnesota.  He is a lovely cat and quiet. Both of their previous animals (dog and cat) had died a couple years ago from old age. They had Doz and Scoochie for many years so it was sad when they died a few months within each other. However, I am happy to see them adopt again an animal needing a loving home like theirs. When they brought Charles home he within a week developed a "kitty cold" which I am told is something animals can come down with when coming from the Animal Human Society. Charles was taken to the vet by my daughter and her husband and he has his antibiotic to take for his cold now. I get to care for Charles when they have to travel on business (like this week). Charles and I are getting to know eachother and his cold is better. I couldn't resist attaching a photo of Charles here. I live in an apartment where no pets are allowed, so for me to care for Charles is such a delight. I think Charles likes me too!

Molly C.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 28

I have five dogs - three of which are rescued, one we got from Craigslist and a Sheltie I purchased. 

We also have a feral cat that we've had about eight years.  She came to us pregnant, homeless and scared.  I fed her, set out a box with blankets for her, and she presented us with three kittens.  I had her spayed after that.  The kittens found really good homes, but she stayed with us.  She loves me on her terms only.  If she's really unhappy with me she will bite.  The last time  she bit me on the ankle I had to go to the doctor because it swelled up and turned really red.  He said I had rabies - not this girl.  I went home and waited it out and sure enough it healed up within a couple of days.  That cat was only frustrated with me - and was not foaming at the mouth or acting any weirder than normal. 

As for my dogs?  They are incredible!  I have my Sheltie who is four years old.  Bailey is a Golden Retriever we got from Craigslist and the most gentle soul in the world.  The shelter dogs are Gabi, Mandy, and Carrie.  They bring us so much joy and give us a reason to wake up in the morning - heck, they are jumping on the side of the bed, whining and making sure we know we've slept enough and it's their time.  They all have incredible personalities and I wouldn't trade one of them.  They give us so much love and they ask nothing in return other than we get up and make time for them.  I honesly can't imagine life without dogs, and will never go without two or three.  They keep us occupied.  They keep us on our toes, and they love us.  What more can you ask for?

I say this all the time, but if you're looking for companionship, forever love and laughs, adopt a dog.  They will repay you ten times over and over.  They are incredible souls.   

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

Our family rescues American Pit Bull Terriers and currently has two mid-sized females.  "Phoebe" is nearly all white with a chocolate brown eye patch surrounding her right eye and was left at a local shelter.  She's the sweetest pet ever who's insatiable when it comes to petting & snuggling.  "Beatrice Bee" is entirely white and as is common for 75%+ of all white Pitties, is entirely deaf.  She was left behind at a shelter as a newborn most likely as a reject from a puppy mill.  For a deaf dog she's quite the talker and has a BIG, BIG personality.  She also loves her petting, thinks she's a lap dog, and gives out plenty of kisses.  They each have their own recliner for daytime sleeping and cuddle up together overnight.  We can't imagine life without our two loving girls!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 28

I have almost always had a dog around my house. My husband bought me a red doverman when I was in my early twenties, however, every other time I got my animals at the humane society. If you get them there, they are neutered or spayed before they are adopted out.

My last dog was an American Bulldog that I took care of for eight years. He was three when I picked him up. I lost him a couple months ago as he had cancer. I also had a boxer but I lost her because of epelepsy about four months before the American Bulldog. Both came from the humane society and both were adorable. See no need in buying a dog with so called papers when there are so many beautiful dogs needing a home.

At my age it is a difficult decission to get another dog. Sure wouldn't want to leave them behind, as they have no way of taking care of themselves. Will have to think about that for awhile. However, I sure do miss the ones I just lost.. If you are a cat lover, the humane society has a lot of those needing homes too.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28

I had decided the time was right to get a new dog. My sister had suggested I look into getting a rescue dog so I started the search.  I went online and started the search. I always said I would know the right dog when I saw him.  One day I was searching and there he was, a little white dog with a smiling face, I immediately put in an application.  This poor little white dog had been terribly abused, he had a broken pelvis and hip and was skittish, but getting better is=n foster care, he needed someone who could be patient and would be patient with his needs after his surgery to repair the broken bones.  I had a large fenced in yard, no children in the house, and someone was at the house 24/7.  It would have been easier to adopt a child that to adopt this poor little dog, but I applaud the rescue for vetting so thoroughly.  They called and checked my references and the vet that I have used.  6 weeks after my application I meet a woman at the drop-off location and there he was.  I named him Duncan, he snuggled with me all the way home (I was not driving).  He checked out his entire new back yard, came into the house and went from room to room and snuggled back into my lap and fell asleep.  There were challenges: he would growl and try to bite anyone who shuffled their feet wearing men's slippers (or that style), and walkers.  On his first vet visit the vet confirmed his injuries and said it appears that the dog was kicked repeatedly and hit with a stick or cane like object.  He would need a lot of love, and firm but kind and gentle mind reconditioning.  I am happy to say that with a lot of love Duncan became a perfect dog, loved the beach, got over his fear of slippers and walkers, loved everyone: children, old people, dogs, cats and even horses.  He lived with us for 15 years before he died of heart congestion.  I really do miss him every day.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28

We had 2 furrbabies that we adopted after Hurricane Katrina.  They were Spooky (a beautiful black cat) and Delilah (a lovely little calico).  Spooky immediately took my late husband as her human and Delilah took me as hers.  After my husband died, Spooky wandered around the house, crying and looking for him.  She died about 2 years later and the vet said it was "broken heart syndrome".  Delilah was a little lost without Spooky because they had been together, but she followed me all over the house after that.  She looked for Spooky for a while, and she died about 2 years afterward.  The vet said it was also "broken heart syndrome".  At that point, I had lost my husband and both of my furrbabies, and I thought my heart was broken.  One day, I looked out my back window and saw a pretty little tabby sunning herself on my picnic table.  I started talking to her and taking food out for her (she was so thin, you could see her ribs).  She adopted me and let me know that her name was Puss.  One day, I opened the back door to take her food to her, and she walked into the house, sat down, and looked at me as if to say, "Well, I'm here.  Where's the food?"  She has never tried to leave since that day.  In fact, she had 4 kittens in my bathroom a few weeks later.  We are a very happy family of 5 now and I can't imagine what my life would be like if Puss hadn't come along.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

image.jpegSusieimage.jpegPunkinI lost my 6 yr. old rescue cat, Susie, in May 2018 after my Dad passed from complications of a stroke. We were in FL. and I ended up in the hospital (Lupus)

and my family traveled to MA. for his funeral. So my Mom (whom I lived with for 7 yrs. after my divorce, along with my Dad) gave Susie to my brother-in law to catsit until I got out of the hospital. Susie didn't know them and escaped. I went to shelters/rescues in their area to find her & put up flyers. She is micro-chipped.

About 2 months later I returned to the Pasco County Rescue and a kitten reached out to me through her cage. I couldn't resist her. I brought her home and Mum sold the Florida house and we relocated to the MA. city I grew up in. She, Punkin, is a delight! She is so loving and funny that she has helped Mum and me with our grief over losing my Dad of 61 yrs. and also for Mum's loss of her husband of 63 yrs.

Punkin is a mix of Domestic American & Norwegian Forest Cat and is growing into a beautiful and very furry 6 month old cat! 

RESCUE is definitely the WAY TO GO.

Sincerely, Kathy L. of MA.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28

The local animal rescue league will spay/neuter for 30.00,but must take then a trap gage,with no Id or collar.Thats the main rules.They can't be very young kittens either.Hope this helps yuo.

Anita Neuner
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 28

Hi everyone.This is a tail of many dogs...and cats we have bought,were given,and rescued.We started out as newlyweds with a pug soon to be joined by another pug,then we adopted a shepard.We were outgrowing our mobile home so we bought a house big enough for our expanding 4 legged "kids".Over time we would find out that another pug needed a home that made 4 dogs,then another pug needed a home you guessed it,then there were 5 dogs.They all got along great.Then an adorable kitty came along in the motherly way,Guess what we had 7 kittens.We were able to give 5 away to good people but we kept the mom and 2 of the kittens.they all got along after awhile.This was over 10-14 years.Eventually we lost a couple to illness,but the 2 more dogs came our well(thats the day we had the vacancy sign on the door).Soon after another 6-7 years all the original dogs and cats were gone but never fogotten.My sister needed a place for her dog when she moved here,guess what.he has been with us 9 years.One day we saw a few kittens running around without a mama,so we were able to take them in and turn them into house cats(5) of them.Soon the news got out to the other strays we were offering all you can eat "buffets",soon we had 5 outdoor cats.3 are essentially domestcated but 2 are not.They know their names come when called and all but 2 have been neutered.Iwould'nt take a million dollars for any of my "kids". 

Anita Neuner
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season