Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New Beginnings

Message 11 of 28

Since I've been an adult and on my own, I've always had rescue dogs.  Back in the 1970's I was working as secretary to the manager at a water conditioning plant. - the only woman in the place.  One morning two of the delivery man came into my office with a baby kitten who looked like it was less than a few hours old.  They said they found it in the trash bin out back.  The whole litter was in the trash, but this was the only one alive.  Since I was the only woman in the plant, I was a "mother" and needed to take the baby kitten.  I took it home.  It was barely able to walk, and couldn't eat, so I fed it with a baby bottle.  It managed to crawl over to my two large dogs, snuggled up with one of them, and contentedly went to sleep.  The dogs were very patient with the kitten.  Kitty, who I named "Culligan" after the place I worked and where she was found, grew into a healthy cat.  She was affectionate with me and the dogs and lived to be 18 years old.  She's the only cat I've ever had, as I'm a "dog person", but I loved that kitty from the first moment she was put on my desk.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

We recently adopted our third rescue boxer.  This sweetheart came to us from a group that rescued 15 boxers from a hoarding situation.  She arrived severely malnourished, scared of EVERYTHING, and with an injured foot.  She is a testimony to the phrase LOVE CONQUERS ALL.  It was difficult at first, but this girl is now a happy, playful, and loving little dog.  Once we earned her trust and made her feel secure in our home, she was able to relax and enjoy her new life!  We love her dearly, and are SO grateful that fate brought us together!  Please consider rescue for your next dog or cat...there are so many wonderful pets waiting for their forever home!  You won't be sorry. 💗

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I always encourage folks who might be seeking a pet (dog or cat). All of our pets, both dogs and cats, have been rescue animals. Mainly from respected shelters. When we lived in RI, our family all volunteered at the local shelter and we found several wonderful dogs there. Our biggest success story was a 13 mo old black female lab which had been in 5 homes in her first year! The final decision from the placement director had put a tag on her cage which said: "Place or put down."... We decided to take her to the dismay of the director.  I personally walked her over 200 miles in the first year, training (which she had never had!), and just getting out her young energy.  She turned out to be the best companion ever. She lived to be 16-1/2 years old with us. A wonderful story. Our current dog was part of a litter lierally dumped on the road in the middle of the night. A friend found the litter in the middle of the road at 11 pm! Our surviving pup (his sister passed at 5 sadly), is now over 6 and doing well. Our daughters have both rescued a dog and two cats as well! We have always found wonderful animals at shelters AND I firmly believe that when you 'rescue' an animal, they somehow know it and respond accordingly. 

I recommend rescuing animals whenever from REPUTABLE shelters!!!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

Hi,

Our four legged baby died unexpectedly and I was heartbroken. I saw a dog on an ASPCA website whose face reminded me of our baby. I bonded with her picture and felt like her eyes were looking into mine and saying "save me." My husband wasn't ready for a new dog but he went with me to see her. Turns out the dog had been abused and was so scared of people that the shelter had to put her in a foster home. Luckily the foster parents allowed us to come to their home without any notice to see her. She is a beagle mix and hid under a desk the whole time we were there. I thought maybe this was a bad idea but I sat nearby and put my hand near her. After an hour she let me pet her. The foster mom thought that was great and asked if we were taking her home. I looked puzzled at her and she explained that it had taken her over a week before the dog let her pet it. So she thought it was a great sign. We brought her home and worked on bonding with her. It has been a strain at times as "Penny" is afraid of everyone (especially men) and everything. She kept her head down and her tail between her legs for about 6 weeks. We cheered the first time she wagged her tail! She did not make a sound for about 3 months. Any noise still scares her. But it has been 10 months and she now sleeps with us, sits on my husband's lap and has learned to play. She did not know what a toy was. She goes to the dog park twice a day and now greets some of the regulars there, both the owners and their dogs. She may not ever get over her fears. At times I wish I knew what her previous owners did to her but then I probably would be both angry and sad if I knew. Saving an abused dog is not always easy but it is rewarding. Kudos to others who have saved one.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

IMG_3932.JPG

This is Little Jo.  I adopted her about 4 years ago from the Forever Home Feline Ranch in Springfield IL.  She was a kitten when I got her.  She brings me joy and I am so thankful I decided to adopt a fur baby back then.  We also have several feral cats who live outside.  We are working on having them spayed and neutered.  2 have been done so far.  My husband feeds them.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28
thank you for taking care of the feral cats
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28
aww I love this story !!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28
they are beautiful <3
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

We have two little furbabies that we adopted through petfinder.com. Both of them came from humane societies in Arkansas. We adopted Gypsy (our 11 pound chihuahua mix) in June of 2017 and she is a total love bug. When I received an email from petfinder this year alerting me to another dog that fit my parameters we soon after adopted Abby, a 20 pound (and growing) Heinz 57 pooch whom we adopted in June 2018. With adoption from shelters the vaccinations, spaying, and microchipping is included so that saved us quite a lot of money. Both of our pups are girls and they adore one another and are practically inseparable. Gypsy came to us at the age of 6 years but Abby was just a pup at 3 months of age. We've had dogs before but they were always adults so adapting to a young puppy has been eye opening but we wouldn't trade her for the world. We LOVE our two girls very much and can't imagine life without them.chillin 6-23-18crop-labeled_rescue dogs.jpg2018-10-10 (5).jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

I have a cute little fur baby story I'd like to share with the group. While searching my Next Door App, I noticed a local woman had posted about her missing cat. I happened  to have a tracking dog staying with me. So I contacted the owner of the Cat via lNextdoor, and brought the dog over. Anyway to make a long story short, the dog was able to find the cat. Both the cat and the dog are now friends. I was so happy because the cat was 14 years old, and it's owner was so upset. Nancy

Kudos
Views