You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Need help with inappropriate cat marking and urinating!

Message 1 of 7

In Response to Need help with inappropriate cat marking and urinating! by kinglelie

Hi Kinglelie,

I feel your pain! My youngest cat, Stinky has been a sprayer and urinates inappropriately his whole life (5 years). He is neutered, so it's not that. I've tried feliway, changing litter, pet psychics, and of course, every thing my vet could think of! We recently tried prozac, and that helped for awhile but it didn't last. He no longer pees on the main level of the house (he used to), and never upstairs that I've ever discovered, but I just can't figure it out. It's possible he just hates my other cats or is terrified of life in general, or it could be that he doesn't get to go roam free (except for the cattery which gives him safe access to the outside) or maybe he hates me. Maybe he hates his name, i dunno, but the one thing i can assure you is this - if there is nothing medically wrong with Pumpkin, you can rest assured that she is unhappy about something... we often don't realize how much our stress affects our cats. My oldest cat pulls her fur when *I* am stressed and I don't even realize it until i start seeing tufts of fur around and then I check out how I feel and sure enough, I want to pull my hair out over something... so good luck with trying to figure out what's eating Pumpkin and rest assured... you're not alone!

;-) Adrienne

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

In Response to Need help with inappropriate cat marking and urinating! by kinglelie

Your problem it pretty obvious.  It is the presence of the two younger cats.  Your older cat is showing her dominance by marking everything she can.  Unfortunately, even when they "get along," this can still happen,  and there's not much that can be done about it.

I had a cat with similar problems and tried to stop her, but to no avail. The cats she was dominating were her two adult sons who she obviously still loved!  I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news. At her age your cat  is probably not going to change.  At least mine never did.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

One thing for sure is that you need to use unscented cat litter. Cats have a smell of approximately 5 times what we smell. If I use litter that has a scent, my cat will stand outside the box  for awhile prior to entering it.  I also clean the litter fox 4-5 times daily. Keeps down any oder and also makes my cat happy. They will not use the litter box if it is not clean. This will make you both happy. Give it a try!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Cat marking issues can have so many causes. Let me have my good friend and feline behavioral expert Dr. Jacqui Neilson give you the lowdown. Dr. Neilson is the driving force behind the Animal Behavior Clinic in Portland, Oregon.

First and foremost, it's important to see your veterinarian and address this head on. Before you do anything else, make sure there are no physical causes. Marking can come about due to underlying medical problems that can be addressed, and nobody but a qualified veterinarian can do that. It might take some time and a number of tests to get to the bottom of it, but that's the first priority.

After that, behavioral issues might be considered, and they can include territory or relationship issues. Sometimes segregating the cats with their own litter boxes can yield clues. Still, first and foremost in your mind should be tackling and ruling out all possible medical questions.

Good luck!

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I have had the same problem with my adult female, Patches.  I would like to make several suggestions.  One, look for a litter called "Cat Attract".  It was recommended by my local pet store owner.  It has worked well for me.  I presume you have more than one litter? You should have at least three litter boxes with three cats and you should be cleaning and scooping twice a day. Try completely emptying the boxes out, washing them down and starting over with fresh litter.  Finally, I haven't bought it yet, but I am hearing great things about a product called Zero Odor, which possibly may have to be ordered online.  You have to get rid of scent where she's marked or she will definitely try to go there again.  Clean the area with white vinegar and a strong smelling dish soap.  Use terrycloth wash cloths and then blot the area until it's completely dry.  The use the odor remover spray or powder.  Repeat as needed.  My sofa seems to need repeat applications weekly, even though she has stopped using it as her alternative litter box.  if I am going to be gone for any length of time, I put heavy duty aluminim foil on the sofa; this keeps her away.  Good luck!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Need help with inappropriate cat marking and urinating!

Message 6 of 7

My 10 year old indoor cat, Pumpkin, has always had "urination issues" that have only gotten worse with time. This past year she has also started marking/spraying. She has had regular vet care and has been taking generic Valium for approximately 16 months whose effectiveness has been dwindling. She is at maximum dosage.  There have been no changes in her environment or my daily routine. She continues to also use the litterboxes with no apparent physical discomfort.

I have 2 other cats, 7 and 5 years respectively who continue to have good litter box habits.  Pumpkin has lived with them since their kittenhood. Otherwise she is a very affectionate cat.

I'm open to any and all suggestions! I'm at my wits end as I continue to actually sniff out new targets of her spraying.  Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Need help with inappropriate cat marking and urinating!

Message 6 of 7

My 10 year old indoor cat, Pumpkin, has always had "urination issues" that have only gotten worse with time. This past year she has also started marking/spraying. She has had regular vet care and has been taking generic Valium for approximately 16 months whose effectiveness has been dwindling. She is at maximum dosage.  There have been no changes in her environment or my daily routine. She continues to also use the litterboxes with no apparent physical discomfort.

I have 2 other cats, 7 and 5 years respectively who continue to have good litter box habits.  Pumpkin has lived with them since their kittenhood. Otherwise she is a very affectionate cat.

I'm open to any and all suggestions! I'm at my wits end as I continue to actually sniff out new targets of her spraying.  Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Replies