When it comes to your workout, there's a good reason not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Keeping Pets Healthy on a Limited Income

Message 10 of 11

My pets receive the best care I can afford for them but it is a struggle with a limited income to give them everything they need. I cut costs as much as possible and give them an extra measure of love. These are some of the measures I take, some of which I know some vets would not agree with. 

I feed ordinary dry food only - my pets seem to remain very healthy without all the gourmet meals, pouches, and science diets that are the popular fad. My 18 yr old is active, has a shiney coat, and her teeth are in decent shape and she has eaten plain dog chow or whatever brand is on sale all of her life.

I use Frontline plus for both my cats and dogs for flea control.  I buy it on line in the biggest size available and measure the exact dose needed by wt. in a syringe to apply it. - it costs me about 1/2 what it does to buy all the different sizes for each animal at the vets office

I vaccinate my own animals, I can get the medication on line for approximately $7.00 per animal except for their rabies vaccinations which are given by the vets at the local rabies clinics. I had all of my cats tested for leukemia before starting them on the vaccine.

I use liquid Ivermectin by mouth for heartworm prevention but only after having my dogs tested and the doses double checked with my vet prior to starting them on it.

I have all my animals male and female                       spayed/neutered through low cost programs sponsered by the local animal  lovers/spca clinic,it costs $35.00 as opposed to $125.00 + lab work at the vets office. The world does not need any more unwanted animals and it prevents a lot of problems and injuries caused by animals fighting over females in heat

I use mineral oil to treat and prevent ear mites rather than expensive meds.  A little prevention and cleaning of the ears saves a whole lot of money in the long run.

I bathe my animals with dawn dishwashing liquid which does a very good job of killing fleas rather than expensive flea shampoos

I bought an inexpensive pair of oster clippers at a yard sale and clip my long haired dogs at the beginning of hot weather. They might not have the latest AKC approved clip but they are comfortable and matt free. I also keep their rear clean and matt free with a "hygiene"clip every few weeks.

I brush my long haired dogs once a week.  It takes a little time but it is certainly preferable to having their hair matted or paying a fortune for professional grooming. I know daily brushing would be better but I do not have the time or energy but I find that weekly brushing might not keep them looking show ready but it does keep the hard matts out of their hair lets me spot skin problems before they become serious issues. 

I clip their nails once a month with ordinary heavy duty human nail clippers.  If you do not let them get long and curled it is easy, quick, and painless. I find mine tolerate a quick clip,clip much better than all the latest pedipaws and other expensive clippers.

I wash any scratches or wounds I find at least twice daily with an ordinary antibacterial hand soap like dial and find that I rarely have one get badly infected and have to make an expensive vet visit for antibiotics.  Of course it goes without saying that any large wounds needing stitches, etc are taken to the vet immediately.  It is a lot cheaper to have them treated at the time it happens than it is to spend days and weeks treating massive infections and certainly better for the animal.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies