From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: How much room does a dog really need?

Message 1 of 5

In Response to RE: How much room does a dog really need? by slee15

Thank you Dr. Marty.  For my peace of mind the chihuahua was killed several years ago and even though I still feel bad about him getting out, it is not like when it first happened.  We were devastated at the time but like all wounds they heal and life goes on.  I now have a mixed cocker/dashund, pomeranian, bassett hound, and a mixed pit bull/?? plus a house full of cats..  All of them thankfully stay quite happily in the yard and house without trying to escape every chance they get.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

In Response to RE: How much room does a dog really need? by slee15

So sorry to hear about your Chihuahua's death. Those little ones can be sneaky, can't they? 

Really glad you shared your story. I think it's important for people to look beyond size at lifestyle, energy levels, temperament, etc. when choosing a dog!

Wags,

Dr. Marty Becker

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

In Response to How much room does a dog really need? by drmartybecker

I, like you, have owned dogs all of my life.  I have had just about any breed you can name with a lot of mixtures added for spice.  We have had chihuahuas to great danes and newfoundlands and everything in between. You are absolutely right that the important thing is to match your needs to the dogs personality not to what some book says about the breed. We had the great dane for 5 yrs in a city apartment and she was perfectly happy. Think 150lb lap dog. I have also had a chihuahua get killed on the highway even though we live 0.6miles off the road and have a fenced 2 acre yard as he could never stand the "confinement" and an unhappy chihuahua can get through a hole in the fence a mouse couldn't get through.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

How much room does a dog really need?

Message 4 of 5

Like a lot of people from farm country, I grew up with big dogs. And my wife, Teresa, and I still have one big beautiful pooch, our Golden Retriever, Shakira.

But despite living on a ranch in a remote area full of wide-open spaces, we've made the switch to small dogs.They fit in our laps, they're easy to lift for grooming, and they fit under the seat in front of us on airplanes. It's a change a lot of us make as we get older.

But big dogs don't necessarily need acres of farm land and wilderness to thrive and be great family companions.

Many large and giant dogs live happily and comfortably in city apartments, town homes and condos. In fact, they often need less exercise than their sometimes high-energy smaller cousins -- a quick turn around the block on a leash and they're ready for a little more couch time. Even the fastest of all dogs, the greyhound, is called the "40 MPH couch potato" by those who adopt them off the racetrack.

So the next time you're in a shelter searching for your new best friend, look for a dog who has the right amount of energy for your family instead of going strictly by the numbers. That XXL canine may be the perfect "10" for you!

How important do you think it is to match the size of the dog with the size of the house or amount of land you have?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How much room does a dog really need?

Message 4 of 5

Like a lot of people from farm country, I grew up with big dogs. And my wife, Teresa, and I still have one big beautiful pooch, our Golden Retriever, Shakira.

But despite living on a ranch in a remote area full of wide-open spaces, we've made the switch to small dogs.They fit in our laps, they're easy to lift for grooming, and they fit under the seat in front of us on airplanes. It's a change a lot of us make as we get older.

But big dogs don't necessarily need acres of farm land and wilderness to thrive and be great family companions.

Many large and giant dogs live happily and comfortably in city apartments, town homes and condos. In fact, they often need less exercise than their sometimes high-energy smaller cousins -- a quick turn around the block on a leash and they're ready for a little more couch time. Even the fastest of all dogs, the greyhound, is called the "40 MPH couch potato" by those who adopt them off the racetrack.

So the next time you're in a shelter searching for your new best friend, look for a dog who has the right amount of energy for your family instead of going strictly by the numbers. That XXL canine may be the perfect "10" for you!

How important do you think it is to match the size of the dog with the size of the house or amount of land you have?

Kudos
Views
Replies