Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Super Social Butterfly

Re: How do Animals help you?

Message 11 of 26

Animals help me by not owning any of them.  That way I don’t have to feed a pet, don’t have to clean up after one, put up with shedding hair all over, pay rip off vet bills, put up with their odor, get up in the middle of the night to let them out or worse, carry a poop bag on every walk, listen to constant barking, get bit by their fleas, and on and on.........🤔

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 26

I have 2 rescue's living with me, Kato the Catahoula, Scout, the little Terrier-Rhodesian-Pitbull mix.

These two are my snuggle bunnies, they know when I'm happy, they know when I'm angry. My children were raised with Rottweilers and German Shepherds, I also volunteer for a local animal rescue here in this area, love my fur babies

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 26

This is my second rescue dog.  Poochie is a 5-6 year old yorkie Shih-Tzu mix.  He appeared to be traumatized at the meet and greet and certainly did not try to  charm me. According to the rescue group, he had just been fixed, separated from his brother who had been adopted the day before and he and his brother were surrendered due to a divorce. Further questioning about Poochie revealed that he

had his meals cooked for him by his previous owner-red alert --picky eater!!  So far ---I wasn't sure about this match. We walked outside of PetSmart and I Tried to make a connection. He looked numb.  I

spent some more time and against my better judgement, I wrote the check and took Poochie home.  He let me know that he was  not planning on staying long and ran away.  A neighbor and his dog helped me get him back and Poochie continued to let me know he was not happy.  Yes my story has a happy ending.  With lots of love and Greenies Poochie and I have become a family.  He's bossy,barks 

at people  he doesn't know (abused?) especially males, likes most other dogs and makes me laugh  every day!

Conversationalist

Message 14 of 26

I would give you more kudos if I could, simply for rescuing the dogs. I had a Britney years ago, wonderful dogs. 

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 26

I have a Miniature Australian Shepherd and 2 Quarter horses. They all can make any day brighter. Taking care of all of them, walking and jogging with the dog and riding the horses helps keep me physically fit at 72. After a good ride on my horse, the rest of the day I feel wonderful, physically and mentally. My spoiled dog makes me laugh and cuddles at bed time. Animals are wonderful.

Conversationalist

Message 16 of 26

Absolutely adore all my rescue Cocker Spaniels. Down to two unfortunately but there will be another in a few years when I find a good fit. I live alone with no family close by so they are my family and my reason to get up in the morning besides the same old drudge.

Merlin's Adoption Day.jpg

Conversationalist

Message 17 of 26

Every time this topic comes up I have to brag on my five, spoiled rotten, loving dogs that are always glad to see me when I get home, and mope for me when I tell them goodby in the morning. 

I have a 12 year old Golden Retriever who has become hard of hearing and has cataracts.  I leave the hall light on for him at night so that he can find his way to the bedroom.  If he doesn't eat all his food at night, I spoon feed him to be sure he has enough to keep him going.  Sometimes I think he's taking advantage of me, but it doesn't bother me.  This is "our time" together.

My Sheltie is the most disobedient dog I've ever owned.  But at night, she lays by the bed and waits for her kiss goodnight and her rub downs.  She's like a cat - love only when she wants it, but in the evening she's all mine to kiss, rub, pet and talk to.  She jumps on the couch when I leave so that I will tell her goodby and rub her sweet ears.

The Hovawart is the queen of all my girls.  When she comes home (if I get there first) she runs into the kitchen, puts her head between my legs and makes sure I know she's home.  She can be pretty fussy with the younger girls, but she is a very loving dog.

The Queensland Heeler tries so hard to keep the girls in line.  If she thinks they're too rowdy, she hits them with her foot and lightly growls.  She's never hurt anyone, but lets them know she's second in line.  Another very loving dog.

And then we have the Carine Terrier.  I picked her up from the shelter and she was spoiled before I brought her home.  She has this adorable way of sitting upright on her butt and flapping her front legs around.  She knows where to sleep on the bed and she snores!  And whines, and growls.  She's a mess but has our hearts.

I know I can't keep them forever - that's not in the books, but I will love them, care for them, and do whatever I can for them.  The love of a dog is unconditional, and it's forever.  They are gifts from above.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 26

My fur baby, Chloe, has helped me in so many ways. I adopted her from a rescue organization and the fit couldn’t be more perfect. I have a keychain that says, Who Rescued Who? So very accurate. I suffer from anxiety and her prescience calms me. I’m interested in steps to make her my medical dog so I can take her into stores and such. She loves that! 

She has unconditional love for me, and visa versa. She’s my riding buddy, my cuddle buddy, etc. 

she is a true blessing to me and I love her beyond measure. 

Conversationalist

Message 19 of 26

I have an elder cat that I inherited when my mom passed away. To me this was the most bossy, most annoying, most demanding, time consuming animal I have ever met. He is also the reason I get out of bed everyday since mom's passing, and the best thing to ever happen to me. 

It has only been a few months since mom left suddenly and without warning, and my sisters all thought her "Lovie" as she named him should be put down as he was old. I couldn't stand the thought of loosing this loud mouthed oaf too, so I took him in. 

I now call him Max, a more proper name for his looks, and he and I are learning from each other. I am teaching him that he has a comfortable bed of his own to sleep in, he is teaching me that if I am up at 7 AM to feed him, he will honor the new arrangement. I am teaching him not to be destructive to furniture (with success) by helping him be a little more active and less board. He is teaching me that taking time to understand an animal can lead to a wonderful relationship.

Conversationalist

Message 20 of 26

I cannot even imagine a day on this planet without a dog! What could be better after a long, and at home (sometimes after an unpleasant day of work) than to walk into your home and be greeted by a loyal companion wagging his tail as if you were the best thing ever to happen to him. Whereever you go or whatever you do, he's in. If that means just lying on the couch watching basketball, he's good with that as well.

There is no greater "investment" than a dog, and every penny I pay to have him is returned to me a thousand times over. He is not a pet- he is FAMILY!

If you have never read the "Eulogy of the Dog", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOLVpxuzc7U, I recommend it highly.