With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets

Message 1 of 9

Too bad!  Their problem, not mine.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

I'm really one of those "love me, love my dogs".  I also have family members who don't like pets but, so far, it hasn't kept them from visiting.  After a bit they don't even notice the dog (I'm now down to 1).  Guess it must be my winning personality.  Just a joke they probably need a place to freeload. 

I'll have them here for Christmas and I know they won't go home until very late as they did Thanksgiving.  But, first & foremost, my dog comes first.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

In Response to RE: Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets by dearmasa

I love the signs, too! We live on a ranch so I think everyone pretty much assumes there will be animals. Smiley Wink

Dr. Marty Becker

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

In Response to RE: Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets by slee15

LOVE the signs!!! ;-)

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

In Response to RE: Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets by dearmasa

I have a couple of family members that are genuinely allergic to cats so if their visit is anticipated I will thoroughly clean, vacumn, and steam my furniture plus put allergen blocking mattress and pillow covers on my beds and run a hepafilter air cleaner in the berooms they are going to use..  I then confine my cats to one room for the duration of their visit. I also keep an easy on washable loveseat throw cover handy in the living room closet so when the preacher shows up unexpectedly in his black suit he doesn't leave looking like last weeks dust bunny. When I am having dinner guests my animals get to stay in their room for the duration.

For the rest, I have 2 signs hanging in my house that pretty well sum up my philosophy.  One shows a couch loaded with dogs and cats and the legend says  " that is why they call it FUR-ni-ture". One by my front door shows a bedroom with piles of cats and dogs and a glass door leading outside with a oversize pet door and icicles hanging from the roof.          " Welcome to Our Home.  If you will be more comfortable just say the word and we will be glad to visit on the patio," Crude maybe but I hear few complaints about my pets.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Adrienne, sounds like the perfect solution for your family's needs!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

In Response to Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets by drmartybecker

I have a friend who recently made the same comments about his sister. I suggested that instead of insulting her with words, that he do things like offer to pay for a professional house cleaner to clean the house before his arrival or if his sister is willing, to pay for boarding of her pets during his stay. Then I asked him why, if he found his sister's home so unpleasant, does he visit her there? Why not offer to pay for her to visit him at his pet-free home. He hadn't thought of that!

I think the key to mixing family and pets is mutual respect and compromise... I have four dog-hating cats and my parents have two cat-chasing dogs. My parents visit me 2-3 times a year for 1-2 nights. In addition, my father is allergic to cats. We manage by cleaning the house in advance of their arrival, and relocating all the cats (and their toys, beds, etc so they don't get "polluted" by the dogs :-) to the basement. It's worth it to me to be able to enjoy my parents (and their dogs) to have them stay at our home, and frankly, my cats are so spoiled that one night without free rein to the entire house is not going to kill them!

Cheers, Adrienne 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets

Message 8 of 9

I heard from a reader who didn't know what to do about a difficult family situation. She has pets, and she also has family members who don't like pets. When they come over for holiday gatherings, these family members make comments about the odor, pet hair, and the behavior of her pets -- even though she puts them in the bedroom with the door closed and says her house is extremely clean.

Anyone have family members who don't like pets? Do you let your pets interact with your holiday guests? Any tips for my reader on how to deal with her pet-hating family members?

Share your ideas!

Wags,

Dr. Marty Becker

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Holiday problem: Family members don't like my pets

Message 8 of 9

I heard from a reader who didn't know what to do about a difficult family situation. She has pets, and she also has family members who don't like pets. When they come over for holiday gatherings, these family members make comments about the odor, pet hair, and the behavior of her pets -- even though she puts them in the bedroom with the door closed and says her house is extremely clean.

Anyone have family members who don't like pets? Do you let your pets interact with your holiday guests? Any tips for my reader on how to deal with her pet-hating family members?

Share your ideas!

Wags,

Dr. Marty Becker

Kudos
Views
Replies