Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Feral Cats

Message 11 of 15

@nyadrn - In the 23 years I had my other home, and the first 7 years I've been here, I never had feral cats on my property .. although my one neighbor's cat periodically visited here. Then one cat showed up late winter, and then 2 "relatives" early summer. All it takes is a couple of irresponsible residents to allow their un-neutered/spayed cats out, and suddenly there's an epidemic! In talking to the cat rescue woman, there are residents in other parts of town - ironically where the housing's more dense - who have been feeding growing numbers of feral cats. Some wait to trap too long, and then they have another couple of generations on their hands!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

We do have feral cats around here. I usually see a couple of them every year. I do not do anything for them.  I'm in Chicago area so I don't know what happens to them during the winter. But I am in a semi-rural suburb meaning a lot of open land, and farms not very far away, so they may be finding shelter in barns.

I'm not a cat lover! If it were a dog, I would try to do what I could.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

@ASTRAEA

I was just talking to someone the other day about how you seldom see stray dogs or cats in our city but now that I think about it, you would really not see stray cats  like you would dogs.  It is amazing to think about it now, how there used to be stray dogs roaming the streets all over.  Cats are quieter and avoid people.  I have not seem any in my neighborhood but don't know if I would.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

Do you have any in your area? Yes. Some old timers in the area 'keep' what they call barn cats, but what are generally feral felines. Keep in mind this is a rural area with a 2.5 acre minimum.Much of my viewshed is wildlands. Most of my viewshed, I think. We do not keep barn cats. I just couldn't.

Is there any rescue group that helps trap & neuter them, try to socialize & get them adopted? Yes and no. There is a rescue group that captures then helps to place them in non-inside settings. That meaning barns, places with access to shelter, a human commitment to feeding them.

Do you feed them? Not unless you count the moles, voles, birds, rats and mice they hunt for in the environs. 

If you feed them, do you have a long-term game plan for them? We do not keep barn cats. Like I said, I just couldn't. Frankly we don't have pets because we believe the environs far too wild for domesticated animals. I have no desire to pick up pet pieces off the rocks. This property frequently hosts foxes, bear, coyotes, raptors and mountain lions. I worry about the domesticated cats and small dogs of persons newly moving into the area, though of course their personal pet management choices --as long as they follow the law-- only become my concern when it impacts my livestock. We see what have to be pet cats hunting our rocky ridge with regularity. I should say that the actual cats change. The risks, sadly, do not.

Do you live in a climate where they need summer or winter protection from extreme temperatures/snow? Oh yes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Feral Cats

Message 15 of 15

Do you have any in your area?

Is there any rescue group that helps trap & neuter them, try to socialize & get them adopted?

Do you feed them?

If you feed them, do you have a long-term game plan for them?

Do you live in a climate where they need summer or winter protection from extreme temperatures/snow?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies