You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

RE: Dogs smarter than cats?

Message 1 of 16

Bow Wow, Meow...This question is like comparing apples and oranges!

"Smart", "S" as in Survival. The cat has superior survival skills when living out the wild. The domestic dog,hmm...sorry but he would have to seek out man as his best friend.                                               

Here lies a very smart cat!         

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

I do not think that is a fair comparison.

Cats are intelligent their own way just as dogs are.

You are always to very smart in either species.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

In Response to RE: Dogs smarter than cats? by dvansant

Humans tend to define "smart" as "most like us in the way they process information."

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

That's a pretty facinating article. But I'm not so sure I agree with the concept. Specially considering the type of intelligence discussed. Sure, dogs do better in groups. But when was the last time you saw a "cat park?" In other words, dogs brains develop from their social interaction because dogs are put into more social settings than most other animals.

My cats are pretty smart. They know where their food is. They know when to wake me up. They know what's on TV. My cat Ernie sat in front of the TV watching a National Geographic story on Leopards. He knew they were cats and was curious at why they were on the screen. So I never question the intelligence of my animals. But I've often been impressed with my cats levels of independence. Very few other pets can survive on their own without their owners for long periods of time. Certainly not dogs. That independence is a sign of their own type of intelligence in their ability to take care of themselves.

So I say, which is smarter, an animal that is trained to do well in groups or an animal that doesn't need to be trained to sustain themselves.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

In Response to Dogs smarter than cats? by SheasLounge

Hmmm, this is a tricky one. I have to be honest and admit that I am a dog owner and lover. It's not that I dont like cats, it's just that ever since I've owned a dog I realized how connected they are to you. I never really felt that  deep connection with the cats. I will say, we had a cat named Pasta Andy (he was like a wet noodle) and he'd take walks with us just like a dog which I thougth was pretty smart? Unfortunately, as a youngster he climed his first tall tree and couldn't figure out how to get down. Our local fire department was not very helpful so my father rigged a bow and arrow with a basket  attatched and after many attempts Pasta Andy got into the basket and was lowered down to safety...not too smart. :-) but we loved him all the same.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

In Response to RE: Dogs smarter than cats? by Mells

Pssst - you may own your dogs but your cat owns you ;-)

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

In Response to Dogs smarter than cats? by SheasLounge

I am a cat person and all I can say is, try losing your temper and kicking your cat - they are not dumb enough to come back for seconds! Treat a cat with respect and they will take your soul lol Dogs smarter than cats? No way... totally different personalities and behaviors. That being said, I do think my most dog-like cat is the smartest of the bunch, so go figure... Boo-hiss to kitty bashers!

;-)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

In Response to RE: Dogs smarter than cats? by megandana

THANK YOU megandana for your input.  I am so glad that there are people out there that are not just straight kitty-bashers!  Just like humans, there are smart cats & dogs and some that are not wound too tight!!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

I once had a tortoishell cat who knew how to open spring loaded cabinets.  Whenever anyone knocked on the front door, I'd hear the lower cabinet door in the bathroom open and close.  I don't know how she learned how to do it, but later she had two sons who SHE taught to do exactly the same thing. 

Cats and dogs ARE indeed different.  So what? Dogs are pack animals who must have a "pack leader."  Cats are generally loners, each with its own territory.  These territories may overlap but they exist because there must be enough food for each cat within its area.  Dogs hunt in packs.  Cats hunt alone, and must conserve energy--this is why they sleep so much and won't mindlessly fetch balls (though I've had a few who would--one wonderful cat who was so doglike he would play with me until he fell over panting).  Cats must conserve energy for "the hunt", or very likely starve.  They are much closer to their primitive roots than dogs, because they haven't been bred into so many forms.  They have served mankind for thousands of years, guarding granaries from vermin, saving both themselves and millions of humans from probable starvation.   Also, just as with humans, some cats and dogs are VERY smart and some are just the opposite.  Most are somewhere in the middle.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

RE: Dogs smarter than cats? NOPE!!!

Message 10 of 16

I have 5 cats and just installed a pet door that OBVIOUSLY was designed for dogs.  Within 12 hours, my smallest cat figured out how to get out two plastic door flaps and now goes in and out whenever he wants to.  I think that qualifies him to be very intelligent, don't you?  The others are learning from him and everyone can now go out on their own but one, but he is learning

Kudos
Views