Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Dogs name and why

I have a 6 year old Chihuahua named Jack after Capt Jack Harkness from the Doctor Who series. We rescued Jack from a breeder who had kept him separated from other dogs because of Kennel Cough. Jack was always scared when we first got him and afraid of men. It has taken years but he is a loving companion to myself and my husband. I named him Captain Jack because the character is a figure who goes through a dramatic transformation.
Periodic Contributor

Carly is just adorable!

Social Butterfly

My dog is called Da Pucht because she is one.

Contributor

My dogs name is Venti. It is a large drink at starbuck's. Her weight is five pounds so I thought it would be cute to name her something large๐Ÿถ

Regular Social Butterfly

Our puppy had no name for a week or 2 and my husband kept saying how sweet she was, so one day he said, "Lets just call her Sweetie."
Our 2nd dog is a little beige colored dog, so I wanted to call her Cocoa, and that's how she got her name.

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Contributor

My choc labs name is Butkus. My husband named him. He loves the'Rocky' movies. Rocky's dogs name was Butkus.
Recognized Social Butterfly

I usually choose people names, whatever strikes me when I look at the dog.  I have a Mickey, Ginger & Janie and Tessie, the latest addition.  The cat is named Ellie May.  For Ellie May Clampett of course as they are both quite beautiful.

Contributor

I picked people's names for my West Highland Terrier. She is a rescue dog. When I first saw her, she was the only dog, all alone, in a big cage/pen. I was there for a big dog, but she won my heart. She was a few months old, and so small, that I decided to give her a nice big name: Margaret Amelia Penelope. I am by myself, and in the 5 years we have been together, I have come to the realization that I did not rescue her, but she rescued me. I Love her. She has changed my life.๐Ÿ™‚
Recognized Social Butterfly

@jr178886 wrote:
I picked people's names for my West Highland Terrier. She is a rescue dog. When I first saw her, she was the only dog, all alone, in a big cage/pen. I was there for a big dog, but she won my heart. She was a few months old, and so small, that I decided to give her a nice big name: Margaret Amelia Penelope. I am by myself, and in the 5 years we have been together, I have come to the realization that I did not rescue her, but she rescued me. I Love her. She has changed my life.๐Ÿ™‚

What a lovely post.

My lab's name is: Hoss Cartwright is his legal name we just call him "Hoss", because he is BIG and was a puppy as well.  Once I told the children the name which made complete sense to me they looked at me like I just stepped off the space ship.  I said Hoss from Bonanza, they still had no idea at this point they are looking at each other like "oh no is mom o.k?" and then I said if you haven't watched Bonanza I have FAILED YOU AS A PARENT! I made them watch it (reruns) so they wouldn't start thinking their momma was losing it, different generation different vocabulary.

Contributor

My dogs name is Roxie, I rescued her from an animal shelter the same day I had to put my bulk lab down named Rocco. I just like names that start with "R". Roxie's name is Roxie Renee and my Rocco's middle name was Radford. ๐Ÿ˜€
Contributor

My guy's name is Simba! I bought him as an unwanted 4 mo old pup as he and 3 brothers were in the way of the breeders next birthings. I purchased him over the internet. He as in North Ohio and I live in Sounth Central NJ. His eyes were locked on my heart, I had to have him.

I never name a dog until I have seen him the first few hours, sometimes less than that. It has to be about the dog and his nature. Well, this guy looked like the little lion in the childrens movie about the Lion King. His fur, his paws, his playful sillyness and other characteristics told me that would be his name. Simba the lion cubby! He will be 2yrs young this Nov. 9 and he is more "Simba" every day. He brings me great pleasure. I feel like I will have a dog in my life as long as I can care for them. I am only 58 yrs young!

Re cat's name and why:
The person who gave me the cat told me it was a female. When I had her operated the vet told me it was a male! I had originally planned to call the kitty Mamzel which is French for Missy. I had to do a quick switch on the phone to the vet so I changed 'mam' to 'man' and he became Manzel!
Contributor

There is no such word as Mamzel in the French language.   The word for Miss is Mademoiselle.

Periodic Contributor

I love the name. Adorable!

My dogs name is Webbie. His name was Webby in Mississippi where he's from. In Milwaukee they changed it to Webbie. I saw his picture on the humane society site and knew it was fate; my last name is Webster and the call me Webbie at works.
Contributor

I have a 7 year old Jack Russell mix, who is one big ball of energy. She is the most loyal and friendly little dog I know. I rescued her as a puppy of 4 months old. She is from Georgia, which is how she got the name Bella, as in Southern Belle".

Alvin, named after Alvin the chipmunk. He was so tiny when we adopted him that he fit into my husbands hand. He said this little guy looks like a chipmunk! I said well then "that's his name"! . He has grown up to be just as mischievous as his namesake. To think I had a long list of names all ready to choose from and I never even looked at it once "Alvin" was this apparent nameโค๏ธ He is such a joy. I named my Ginger cat "Rusty". The name suits him perfectly too. His a big fluffy Rusty ball with a rusty old temperament! Love him โค๏ธ
Bronze Conversationalist

We have a 5-year old Golden Retreiver named Jake, because my husband liked the name (we had a Golden before him named Taylor, because my daughter liked that name).  We also have a 4-year old Brittany mix named Gracie Mae, but she came to us with that name (she's a southern rescue girl).

It's hard picking out dog names!  The only "rule" I've heard is to choose one that doesn't rhyme with "no."

Honored Social Butterfly

My last rescue is named Wallace, Wally for short. He got the name because he was lost and found his way to the Wallace Farm in N. C. He did some fence damage at first and for awhile I think he thought his name was dam# Wally. When I would come home from work, it was not if Wally had done something, it was what he had done. He is a Pointer mix. I have a female of this breed and when he was on the rescue site, he looked so much like her. She is Ginger and is older and pretty laid back. He is very spirited and does not like fences. I guess that is how he became lost in the first place. He has settled down some and is still growing. He is over 65 pounds now, but thinks he should be a lap dog. I have had several people who want him, but I think he belongs with me, Ginger and the two cats.

Soosie
Social Butterfly

Sophie's official name is Opheila, Callie's is Caledonia and we have a ginger tabbie named Levon. Back in the day I was very fond of The Band. They name enough characters to supply a lifetime of critter names. I was mighty sorry when Levon Helm passed on...

Periodic Contributor

I'm a fan of the Bard too!  I've had a Portia and a Phebe, but my boy dog didn't fit any of the names, so we went with Jester, because he is such a clown.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP