Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: CAT! names and why

Message 31 of 79

About 2 weeks before Halloween, a black cat showed up on our little patio. We are not cat people, (I have never cared for cats and we cannot have one in the house because a cute, little girl who sometimes stays with us is extremely allergic to them), but it did not matter to this cat; it started stropping back and forth across the glass door, rolling over and over on the patio and then stood on its back feet patting the screen with its feet. We ignored it, but soon it seemed that everytime we looked out, this cat was cavorting on the patio. It took to sunning itself on the patio when it wasn't performing. After a few days it became clear this cat had selected us and would not give up.

As Halloween approached, I began to worry as around here are some nuts who sacrifice black cats on that date. I decided I would try to keep the cat in our backyard by feeding and petting it. When I opened the door to go outside, this cat that had been trying to get my attention took off like a rocket! So I named it "Rocket." My wife asked if it was a boy or girl, and I told her if it was a girl we could always call it "Rockette."

Rocket has now become a friend to us, and wants us to spend some time every day petting her and telling her what a good kitty she is, (it is a female). She was nothing but skin and bones, but I got some kitten food from our local Speck's and now she is doing better. Rocket has had all of her claws removed, front and back, so whoever dumped her should be hung for turning a helpless young cat outside. We fixed up a warm place for her, and we hope someday to find her a good home.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: CAT! names and why

Message 32 of 79

My eldest cat is named Indie and was rescued by my niece when he was 5 weeks old out of a spiteful divorce situation. The wife would not let estranged husband have the animals but she did not want any of them. Indie's mother & litter mates were taken to a shelter, when the wife arrived home she discovered she had missed him. Annoyed, she was about to turn him outside in cold November weather along with the dog to fend for themselves. My niece happened along about then to attempt a negotiation to take all of the animals, not knowing the wife's plans. The wife allowed her to rescue Indie and the dog.
Indie is a mixed breed Maine Coon cat, which are known for their inquisitiveness. This trait nearly cost him his life, but fortunately brought him to us. 13 years ago on Thanksgiving Day my sister-in-law brought him out to us in her pocket! It was love at first sight, even before hearing his story. Short version: he came home with us and was named Indie before we were many miles on the road. Indie was adopted by "Mama Zeus" within ten minutes of coming home. Zeus, a small male cat, would protect him from any perceived danger. The boys were buddies until Zeus died 18 months ago.

damfreez
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Dogs name and why

Message 33 of 79

I am so glad you rescued a dog.  My life's ambition is to have a forever home for all dogs lost and misplaced.  I have three that I've adopted - one is Gabi - a Hovawort that had decided to die in a county shelter.  She's magnificent.  Another one - Mandy - was brought home to keep my Sheltie company.  They are the best of friends and awesome to watch.  The 3rd one is Carrie - or CareBear - she's half Carien Terrier and a total mess.  She's only two and had to have been spoiled before lost.  She stands twelve inches tall and can jump on a three foot bed.  I volunteer at our shelter on Saturdays and my only hope when I leave is that they all find homes before I return the following week.  They are incredible souls with love that never ends.  Thank you for adopting!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 79

I bought a Rat Terrier and just could not figure out a name for her.  I took her to work, and everyone had their own ideas, but none of the names fit.   I called my best friend. He said bring the dog over and he'd think of something.  We were both military-minded, having long been associated with the Army. My friend took one look and said, "that's easy! Her name is Brevet."  I knew what it meant, but asked him why and he told me that she was so small, she'd never be a real soldier; she'd always be a brevet.  It stuck.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Cat's name and why

Message 35 of 79

Our new Siamese kitty was sitting on a table next to a bottle of Korbel Champagne and we noticed the bottle label resembled his coloring. So, we named him "Mister Kitty Korbel" or Korby for short. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 79

We used to have a great dog who we named Zachariah P. (for pet) Hankins. He was half Irish Setter and a gentleman dog. We now have a cat named Maggie the Cat (after Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 79

My dog's name is Tulip.  I got her from a foster home when she was 10 weeks old.  She is black lab mix and has the energy of four dogs.  When I saw her picture before I met her the name Tulip just came to me.  Turned out that is the favorite flower of her foster mom.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 79
I had a dog named Phoebe. She was a black lab rescue. I named her that because it seemed to fit her. Found out later that it was my great-great-grandmother's name. She died a long time ago but she lives in my heart.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 79

My dog was 2 years old and had been surrendered to the Humane Society with a name attached.  I didn't think it made sense to change it (what's in a name?).   So what if I have a Pit Bull named Chloe.  But she is sort of a princess, so I guess it's alright.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 79

I also have a rescue dog and she is a cocker spaniel brown and white so I called her Sugar - she is sweet just like brown and white sugar. I like the name Sweet Pea too. My previous cockers name was Sweetie.

Kudos
Views