Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Dogs name and why

I have a 6 year old Chihuahua named Jack after Capt Jack Harkness from the Doctor Who series. We rescued Jack from a breeder who had kept him separated from other dogs because of Kennel Cough. Jack was always scared when we first got him and afraid of men. It has taken years but he is a loving companion to myself and my husband. I named him Captain Jack because the character is a figure who goes through a dramatic transformation.
Periodic Contributor

I now have my fourth Border Collie.  My first was a BC/Husky mix rescued from the parking lot of my business.  We named her Maggie and she was a lovely sweet girl.   When Maggie died of cancer, our Penbroke Welsh Corgi grieved so we went to a breeder and adopted a female Border Collie puppy we named Flossie Megan, very Scottish name.  Early on i recognized she had inherited Demodectic mange and we contacted the breeder because Flossie was from the first litter for her female and she should not be bred again.  Flossie was sweet, loving and always moved in the "herding" position. Later as we went to pick up pet supplies, we spotted in Pet Smart a lovely rescue Border Collie we named Laddie MacDonald ( the later after my British mother-in-law's hertiage).  He was another loveable, sweet boy.  Both lived full good lives and were great friends. After they crossed the Rainbow Bridge, my daughter and I went 5 months without a dog and could not stand it.  We found a rescue Border Collie in north Alabama and drove 400 miles round-trip to get our beautiful Liam who is as sweet as can be.  He gets along beautifully with our 3 rescue cats.  We decided long ago to only get rescues as there are so many who need loving, caring forever homes.

\

Regular Social Butterfly

Our Cocker-Poo is such a sweetie. We were wallking her and just could not pick a name. My husband finally said on one walk, we should just call her Sweetie, because she is so sweet. 

That is how she got her name. 

Our little Shi-Poo is a little light beige dog who is also a sweetie. I got to name her, so becaue of her color I named her CoCoa. 

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Regular Social Butterfly

Our Cocker-Poo is such a sweetie. We were wallking her and just could not pick a name. My husband just finally said one walk, we should just  call her Sweetie, because she is so sweet. 

That is howe we got her name. 

Ou litle Shiz- 

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Periodic Contributor

When I got Gunny, a dachshund, as a gift from my husband, I wanted to call him Gunner. My husband, being the retired Marine that he was, kept calling him Gunny. The poor little pup (7 weeks at the time) was doing his best to answer to both, but finally Gunny won out as I knew my husband would never remember the other. So I went one step further and registered Gunny as Due's Gunnery Sergeant.

Super Contributor

:smileyhappy:โŠฑโŠฑโŠฑ My husband and I are blessed with a pair of darling Sheltie sisters โˆฝ โ™ฅ gorgeous mahoganyโˆ™sable *Emily* and โ™ฅ beautiful honeyโˆ™sable *Devon* 
We were never blessed with children โˆฝ our precious little girls simply have fur rather than hair and their pretty names are what
we would have chosen for baby girls.

-Sheltie Sisters.png

โ™ฅ Shelties are not my whole life โˆฝ but they make my life whole โ™ฅ
Contributor

God gave me the privilege of seeing a 7 week old shih-tzu & adopting him. Journey, yes after the band, is now 9 years old & has become the love of my life. The heat of Vegas doesn't bother him to bad. But he would much rather go to San Diego & go to dogbeach. My Journey!

Regular Contributor

We named our Yorkie dog Vegas because once we got him we stopped taking our vacations in Las Vagas. The dog has very bad separation anxiety. 

We had a second Yorkie named Reno but she got confused over the word "NO" and her name so we renamed her Britney after hearing that Britney Spears had a baby on the radio that day.

Retiring is trading one boss for the one you married.
Trusted Contributor

When I ws in my 20's I was living at my parentt's home, just out of college and rent in our area was outrageous.  My parents told me to live at home, work, pay rent, and save.  This arrangement was working great for all of us, except I wanted a dog.  My mom was all for the idea, she had wanted another dog since our last one died 5 years earlier.  My dad becomes very attached to dogs, and said when he got his MAC computer I could get a dog.  That year I received a settlement for a car accident I had been in.  I bought dad his much wanted computer.  A week later I was going to pick up my West Highland White mutt puppy.  His name was MAC and the computer's name was MUTT

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

About 6 years ago I got my 1st Jack Russell, named him "Jack".  A year later, I got another Jack Russell, and quess what I named him?  "Russell".  When I go on walks people ask me the names off my dogs, and I say "Jack and Russell"  A lot of times there is a hesitation and then they ask, "Are they Jack Russells?"  Gives me meaning to why I picked those names!

Trusted Contributor

My first dog, that I owned, was a Westie.  My dad had said that I could not get a dog until he got his Apple computer he wanted (he always knew I was going to get it weather he got his computer or not), but the company I worked for got sold and reorganized and I received a very wonderful pay raise and a payout for staying with the company through the reorganization.  I divided my bonus in three, banked one third, took a vacation with one third and bought my dad his computer.  After vacation I brought home an an adorable fluff ball who was a purebreed but pet quality due to his crooked tail.  The owner was so thrilled to have him go to a loving home.  As a result we named the dog Macintosh and by dad called his computer Mutt.  Our family is Scottish so we named our other dogs: Dundee, Duncan and my next is going to be Edinburgh (or Eddie for short).  My three cats are Ck, Dexter and Haven from the movie with Katherine Hepburn.  All my dogs and cats are rescue and have adapted to their new names without issue.

Regular Contributor

How terrific is that!!!  Gotta love our critters.  And what a good daughter you are.  Bet your dad was thrilled. 

Regular Contributor

Nothing so grand around here!  A cat acquired me when I went camping...he just showed up in the campfire circle and was happy to come home with me.  But for the first three weeks, well, he just kept passing gas whenever I picked him up.  I told him it was rude.  Really rude.  Hence, he became Really Rude Rudy.  He was the love of my life.  It just about broke my heart when I lost him.  Now I have Chip and Flop (their two litter mates--River and Turn--are gone now).  Poker players will appreciate that.  And I have Critter Corey (named after DeMille's character, John Corey) and Sig Handsome, named after Sig Hansen of the F/V Northwestern, the crab vessel.  No rhyme or reason around here.  I've had cats with names like Snout the Rotten, Orion, Bartholomew, Theodore, BennieFLB, Piper, Shadow, Gulliver, Mongo, Lilly--all sorts of names. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I named my male Italian Greyhound Banducci because he was such a loverboy and my female Italian Greyhound Ragnar because she clearly believed in raid and conquer as a birthright.

Thinking my next IG will be named McTavish, but we'll just have to wait and see on that.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

Movie character

Periodic Contributor

Nino named after a movie character

My dog's name was Charles when we adopted him from the Humane Society. We decided that was too formal a name for a young canine who is an "All American Heinz 57". So he became Charley Barker with tongue-in-cheek reference to saxophinist Charlie Parker. My apolgies Mr Parker I hope you don't mind.

Periodic Contributor

I had a Birman cat. Previous to getting him I had been to Hawaii a couple of times and fell in love with the island of Maui. Since "meow" kind of sounded like Maui I named him Maui. Both him and the island were beautiful.

Periodic Contributor

I love the name Maui. I'll bet it was gorgeous in Hawaii! My name is Hawaiian and I would like to find out the meaning of it. --Kiana
Periodic Contributor

I just looked in a paperback copy I have of Hawaiian names and their meanings and their English counterpart. I couldn't find your name in it. Maybe it's on the internet somewhere (everything else is!).
Periodic Contributor

Thank you so much for looking. I'll try looking up on the internet. Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

I have 3 dogs. A daschund named Scooter, a chihuahua named Rhiannon and another chihuahua named Rooster. They are amazing and so funny. Always love coming home.

Contributor

My BFF, Ozzie, was a stray that a friend had been caring for (somebody abandoned him!).  Since she had too many cats already, she and her husband didn't want to get too attached by naming him.  They started calling him OC for "orange cat," and he responded to that.   I wanted him to have a real name and I figured Ozzie sounded like "OC" with an accent, so that's who he's been for the last two  years.  He's the best cat I've ever been owned by and even can talk.  When he wants attention or hears the phone ring, he says,"hello!"     

LG
Kudos
Views

I named our beautiful black cat Katrina. Only so that I could use "Cat" as a nickname for her.

My ferrets are all gone now, but I had ferrets for years.  My 3rd baby was a tiny girl.  I wanted all unique names for my fur people.  She seemed like just a bit of candy.  She had gleaming golden fur that actually had a sheen in the light.  So I called her Butterscotch.  One of the unique things about ferrets, is they sometimes "blow a coat."  During their normal shedding season, they may shed more than usual, and when they get their new coat, it can be entirely different.  Butterscotch blew her coat, and surprisingly, it came back white, with a spotted belly.  She was no longer butterscotch colored, so she became my  "Butter Baby."

Ferrets are considered to be as intelligent as  porpoises and primates.  But Butter Baby was exceptional even for a ferret.  I have seen her stack things so she could use them to climb up on my desk.  And she knew how to turn on the space heater when it got cold.  When Bandit (another ferret) got sick, Butter Baby held Bandit and hand fed her.  A very touching sight.

Houdini was another little ferret.  A tiny girl who was a great deal of fun.  When I let them out of their cages to play, I'd always find Houdini on the top shelf in the closet.  My little Magic Girl was forever getting into places when I had no idea how she could get there.  Hence the name Houdini.

Thunder was a male ferret.  He was 4.5 pounds -- a big boy for a ferret.  His coat was dark swirls and made me think of storm clouds.  He had a white zigzag on the top of his head like lightning.  So between his size and his coloring, Thunder seemed like a good name.  His knickname was "Big Ton."  Silly boy.  I'd get down on my hands and knees, and Thunder liked to head-butt me.  Then he'd roll over and I'd tickle his tummy.

I named my boy cat Hachi after the movie Hachi A Dog Story with Richard Gere.  This is a true story and a stature is erected in Hachis name in Japan. My other two cats names are Neko and Yoshi.  They are my furry children and are loved very much

Contributor

Hachi Heart seriously that movie touched my heart. I love that movie.

Contributor

My dog is a yellow Lab.  I couldn't bring him home for a whole week after I purchased him from a reputable breeder.  The reason was because he had a photo shoot that next week with Dillard's with some kids advertising back-to-school clothes.

So that gave me time to think of a name for him.  I thought of Barkley but one daughter said, "No, Mom, dogs live up to their name and he'll bark all the time."  So then I thought of Harley.  The other daughter said "No, Mom...everyone will ask if your ride a Harley and wonder why you don't dress him up in Harley outfits!"  

So what was I to name this little ball of fluff?  I tried to think of a name that was calm, no trouble attached to it and one that everyone would love when they heard his name.  Then the TV program "Friends" popped into my mind and I thought of Chandler Bing!  Chandler never got in trouble, he had a good job, everyone liked him, and he calmed everyone down when a stressful situation arose. So when I picked him up that next week I called to him..."Chandler!  Chandler, come here!"  And he ran to me and jumped in my lap and we rolled around on the lawn and I knew I'd picked the right name!Heart

Chandler is 10 years old now and is slowing down with age and hip problems.  But he had lived up to his name and has brought joy to our family and everyone that's met him over the years.  We'[ve even had cars stop and pull over to the side of the road when we're walking with him and yell out the car window..."Hi, Chandler!"  And we have no idea who the people are but they know Chandler!

I bought a Rat Terrier and just could not figure out a name for her.  I took her to work, and everyone had their own ideas, but none of the names fit.   I called my best friend. He said bring the dog over and he'd think of something.  We were both military-minded, having long been associated with the Army. My friend took one look and said, "that's easy! Her name is Brevet."  I knew what it meant, but asked him why and he told me that she was so small, she'd never be a real soldier; she'd always be a brevet.  It stuck.  

Contributor

Our new Siamese kitty was sitting on a table next to a bottle of Korbel Champagne and we noticed the bottle label resembled his coloring. So, we named him "Mister Kitty Korbel" or Korby for short. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP