WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Dogs name and why

Message 21 of 79
I love the name Maui. I'll bet it was gorgeous in Hawaii! My name is Hawaiian and I would like to find out the meaning of it. --Kiana
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 79

I had a Birman cat. Previous to getting him I had been to Hawaii a couple of times and fell in love with the island of Maui. Since "meow" kind of sounded like Maui I named him Maui. Both him and the island were beautiful.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 79

I have 3 dogs. A daschund named Scooter, a chihuahua named Rhiannon and another chihuahua named Rooster. They are amazing and so funny. Always love coming home.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 79

Carly is just adorable!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 79

I love the name. Adorable!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 79

My BFF, Ozzie, was a stray that a friend had been caring for (somebody abandoned him!).  Since she had too many cats already, she and her husband didn't want to get too attached by naming him.  They started calling him OC for "orange cat," and he responded to that.   I wanted him to have a real name and I figured Ozzie sounded like "OC" with an accent, so that's who he's been for the last two  years.  He's the best cat I've ever been owned by and even can talk.  When he wants attention or hears the phone ring, he says,"hello!"     

LG
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 79

I named our beautiful black cat Katrina. Only so that I could use "Cat" as a nickname for her.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ferrets name and why

Message 28 of 79

My ferrets are all gone now, but I had ferrets for years.  My 3rd baby was a tiny girl.  I wanted all unique names for my fur people.  She seemed like just a bit of candy.  She had gleaming golden fur that actually had a sheen in the light.  So I called her Butterscotch.  One of the unique things about ferrets, is they sometimes "blow a coat."  During their normal shedding season, they may shed more than usual, and when they get their new coat, it can be entirely different.  Butterscotch blew her coat, and surprisingly, it came back white, with a spotted belly.  She was no longer butterscotch colored, so she became my  "Butter Baby."

Ferrets are considered to be as intelligent as  porpoises and primates.  But Butter Baby was exceptional even for a ferret.  I have seen her stack things so she could use them to climb up on my desk.  And she knew how to turn on the space heater when it got cold.  When Bandit (another ferret) got sick, Butter Baby held Bandit and hand fed her.  A very touching sight.

Houdini was another little ferret.  A tiny girl who was a great deal of fun.  When I let them out of their cages to play, I'd always find Houdini on the top shelf in the closet.  My little Magic Girl was forever getting into places when I had no idea how she could get there.  Hence the name Houdini.

Thunder was a male ferret.  He was 4.5 pounds -- a big boy for a ferret.  His coat was dark swirls and made me think of storm clouds.  He had a white zigzag on the top of his head like lightning.  So between his size and his coloring, Thunder seemed like a good name.  His knickname was "Big Ton."  Silly boy.  I'd get down on my hands and knees, and Thunder liked to head-butt me.  Then he'd roll over and I'd tickle his tummy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 79
Named our dog "Gilda" because we couldn't get "Rosanne Rosannadanna" on the dog tag.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 79

My dog is a yellow Lab.  I couldn't bring him home for a whole week after I purchased him from a reputable breeder.  The reason was because he had a photo shoot that next week with Dillard's with some kids advertising back-to-school clothes.

So that gave me time to think of a name for him.  I thought of Barkley but one daughter said, "No, Mom, dogs live up to their name and he'll bark all the time."  So then I thought of Harley.  The other daughter said "No, Mom...everyone will ask if your ride a Harley and wonder why you don't dress him up in Harley outfits!"  

So what was I to name this little ball of fluff?  I tried to think of a name that was calm, no trouble attached to it and one that everyone would love when they heard his name.  Then the TV program "Friends" popped into my mind and I thought of Chandler Bing!  Chandler never got in trouble, he had a good job, everyone liked him, and he calmed everyone down when a stressful situation arose. So when I picked him up that next week I called to him..."Chandler!  Chandler, come here!"  And he ran to me and jumped in my lap and we rolled around on the lawn and I knew I'd picked the right name!Heart

Chandler is 10 years old now and is slowing down with age and hip problems.  But he had lived up to his name and has brought joy to our family and everyone that's met him over the years.  We'[ve even had cars stop and pull over to the side of the road when we're walking with him and yell out the car window..."Hi, Chandler!"  And we have no idea who the people are but they know Chandler!

Kudos
Views