With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Dog Walking with a WALKER

Message 1 of 3

In Response to Dog Walking with a WALKER by jpojman

John, good for you for wanting to keep active with your dog! It will be good for both of you.

Would it be possible for you to engage a trainer to help you with the very simple, basic commands your dog needs to learn to walk with you and your walker? I say this because no matter what kind of walker you use, there is a way to walk your dog, but she has to be trained to walk in a certain position and accept commands verbally to slow down, speed up, wait, etc. -- things many dogs learn from the leg position and body language of the person walking them, as well as pressure on the leash, which won't be the case with your particular team.

My daughter, Mikkel Becker, is a dog-trainer, and this is the kind of thing that can be very easily taught in a short period of time. It's really the easiest and fastest way to get where you need to be to make this work for the two of you.

If a trainer is out of the question, let me know and I'll ask Mikkel to come over and detail the program she'd recommend!

All my best to you, and wags to your dog!

Dr. Marty Becker

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Dog Walking with a WALKER

Message 2 of 3

Can you give me guidance on walking a small dog (8#) using a walker? I am not too stable but would like to walk my dog.

I am concerned about his pulling me and getting tangled in the walker. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations about the right style of walker to pull this off.

John

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Dog Walking with a WALKER

Message 2 of 3

Can you give me guidance on walking a small dog (8#) using a walker? I am not too stable but would like to walk my dog.

I am concerned about his pulling me and getting tangled in the walker. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations about the right style of walker to pull this off.

John

Kudos
Views
Replies