Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you buy your pet a gift for the holidays?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you buy your pet a gift for the holidays?

A lot of people buy their pets holiday gifts, are you one of them?  How do you feel about buying gifts for your furry friends?

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

I bought Queen Amidala a pretty mouse treat dispenser! She loved it, & of course the gift wrap & ribbons!

Silver Conversationalist

Yes!  I got my cat Karma her very own child's toy laptop computer in a devious attempt to keep her away from my laptop. She actually likes it, (and the box it came in), but it has not replaced her duty to provide her supervision and participation when I am using mine. 

Trusted Contributor

On Thanksgiving my dog would get a plaid bow that clipped onto his collar for the holiday season. On Christmas he would usually get a pack of his favorite treats and a new toy.  He would also get a special Christmas dinner: turkey wet dog food, and a Christmas tree shaped dog treat.

Regular Contributor

Absolutely ! 

Your pet is a family member and they love to receive gifts. Just look at how happy she is!  I have found that she doesnt really care what the gift is as long as she gets one and its wrapped. (actually several).  Could you imagin what it would be like watching everyone opening their gifts and wanting to be part of the fun but you got nothing? How sad.Look how happy she is !Look how happy she is !

Holidays would not be the same without watching Fanci Noel riping through all the paper and bows.

Norma Jean Ray
Regular Contributor

Why wait for a holiday?  I just bought 3 dozen new fuzzy mice for OliverB.  He's very mouse-driven and is an honest-to-goodness retrieving cat.  He will chase down a thrown mouse, bring him back, and repeat...and repeat...and repeat...and repeat.  I'm developing a torn rotator cuff from throwing his mouse!  But how could I say no to this little face?

Oliver blep  cropped.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Edgar and Aki  sends Meowy CatmasEdgar and Aki sends Meowy Catmas

"Time spent with cats is never wasted"- Sigmund Freud
Trusted Contributor

My three lhasa apsos: CK, Dexter and Haven all get a special toy and some special treats for Christmas.  I have had to hide them until CHristmas Day however, as they can smell their treats and somehow find their gifts before we open gifts.

Trusted Contributor

sm361854: Our pets are so smart and their amazing sense of smell can make it difficult for us to hide their presents. What's more, it can be hard to find that perfect hiding place so we can keep our presents "secret" until it's time for them to open them.

I do have one question however which some folks may wish to chime in on. Do your pets open their gifts by themselves, or is human help necessary? Sometimes I think that the wrapping paper and bows - and the boxes which contain the presents are much more interesting for our pets. 

Happy Holidays!  

Trusted Contributor

Always!  and every time I go shopping, I pick up something for my little "Russell" for he gets so excited and pushes his toy all over the house and his little tail is wagging.  Actually it is like gift to me for it makes me laugh watching him and makes me happy to see his enjoyment.  At Christmas, I have to wait until we are opening gifts until the dog's package is put out for if I put it out before Christmas, he somehow knows it is his gift and will chew the package apart.

Periodic Contributor

Sometimes, but not always.

Contributor

I never did until my teenagers picked up an abandoned puppy at a campsite and brought him home. Soon it was time to open presents under the Christmas tree. Brody was excited watching everyone open their gifts. Soon as we finished, he rummaged through all the wrappings. There was no unopened gift. Brody sat down among the debris and cried. I don't remember what it was, but one of us found something and quickly wrapped it. It was given to Brody with apologies for forgetting to put it under the tree. Brody forgave us all and happily tore open his gift. 

Never again has any family pet been overlooked. Not at Christmas, or a chosen birthday.

Regular Contributor

you did the right thing. God Bless You.

Norma Jean Ray
Trusted Contributor

I always buy my dog a Christmas present and a birthday present.  We don't know his actual birthday, he is a rescue dog, so we celebrate the day we took him home.  It's never very much, a new chew toy or a bag of his favorite treats.... but he enjoys the attention.

Contributor

Yes!!!! She is a family member!!! She loves clothes and loves to get new ones so that is what she gets. She will get a bomber jacket, a sweat shirt, and a sweater for Christmas. She is our baby!!! lol

Periodic Contributor

Yes they are family also and give so much fun and companship all thru the year  why would you

not?

Periodic Contributor

My two cats love the catnip  stratcther board they have so by Christmas each year they need a new one. Plus they new catnip mice and a ball or two as those do last too long as they are so playful even at 5 years old.

Periodic Contributor

NO PETS

Social Butterfly

I buy my dog a squeaky toy every Christmas.  Somehow she can tell what package it is in ,I think by the smell.  She picks it out from under the tree and rips it to shreds, wrapping paper and all, then that's the end of it.  Too darn funny!

Periodic Contributor

Yes always and we even buy our daughters birds/guinea pigs gifts.  It is Christmas and we would never leave our little loves out. 

We buy special treats for our dog and cats. We also buy toys and donate them to local rescue groups

Contributor

Yes, I also made her a steamed hamburger mixed with her dog food for her 9th birthday yesterday. She got a new dog toy, a dog biscuit and we sing happy birthday to her too.

Periodic Contributor

When I was a kid growing up, my family had two dogs.  My father liked to get our dogs dog toys and feed them steak for a week.  That was their Christmas gifts.  I believe this is a good thing to do because dogs are part of the family too.

Contributor

@AARPTeri wrote:

A lot of people buy their pets holiday gifts, are you one of them?  How do you feel about buying gifts for friend

It wouldn't be Christmas if my Matoska (my Parsons jack Russell) didn't get presents. Besides crocheting her beautiful sweaters, hats, scarves, and toys she get homemade cookies and whatever Santa brings her 😋.And yes,hide though packages cuz she will find them and open them many times before Christmas.

Periodic Contributor

My cats are not pets, they are more like family!  So of course, we buy them gifts... and we selfishly enjoy every minute of them playing around with them! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Of course.  Pets are family members too.  The cats get new catnip toys and maybe a new "chase" toy. Sometimes a new bed, if the old one is looking shabby or losing stuffing.  I have "Goddogs" too, and they get a new Nylabone or Kong and a box of dog treats.

Contributor

Absolutely, me pets are my family.  

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely. Our two kitties, Edgar Allen Poe (my avatar photo) and Aki also bought gifts for us! (using our credit cards of course <g>).  

All this said, our boys are  7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year the best gifts that we have ever received. They are family and contribute greatly to our lives. 

Happy holidays everyone.

Contributor

Of course we do!  That certainly makes Christmas for us!  Our bichon looks for something under the tree.  Her excitement is priceless! 

Periodic Contributor

Yes all 3 of tgem they are family and give so much love why would you not?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP