From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Did you know??

Message 1 of 9

You know how dogs will sort of pump their legs when you scratch them in certain areas? It's a nerve reflex triggered by the sense that something is biting them -- sort of like phantom fleas! Well, that leg-pumping reflex is so predictable that veterinarians use it to help with the neurological exam when we suspect spinal injury.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

In Response to RE: Did you know?? by megandana

Since I first posted my reply down below to the doctors cat facts,  I have learned that white coat color in a cat really DOES mask its "real" color.  Our original white Manx female was indeed red or tortoishell, more likely the latter.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

In Response to RE: Did you know?? by drmartybecker

Seattle should be on that list.  More people in Seattle have dogs than children.  One high-end pet store has buckets of healthy treats at dog level so the canines can come in and sample the goods.  You should see the dogs rushing in there.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

In Response to Did you know?? by drmartybecker

My favorite cat trivia website is http://messybeast.com/catarchive.htm

So many interesting facts and fun!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

In Response to RE: Did you know?? by drmartybecker

What's the best US city for pet owners?  According to a poll from livability.com, it's Portland, Oregon. Factoring in criteria like quality veterinary care, pet friendly trails and dog parks, along with animal welfare groups and shops catering to pets, Portland leads the pack. Lovely place to visit, I must admit, though nothing beats our little slice of nirvana here at Almost Heaven Ranch. Here's the rest of the top 10 (though no Idaho towns made the top 10, I have to say the finalists are pretty good).

2. Colorado Springs, Colo.
3. Rocky Mount, N.C. 
4. Boulder, Colo.
5. Santa Cruz, Calif. 
6. Eugene, Ore. 
7. Asheville, N.C. 
8. Albuquerque, N.M.
9. Nashville, Tenn.
10. Louisville, Ky.

Is your city on the list? Tell us....how pet friendly is your area?

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Horses

• Horses need between 1.5 to 3 percent of their body weight per day in forage (hay or pasture).
  • Horses drink 8-12 gallons of water per day, so it's important to make sure they've got lots of clean, fresh water available.
  • In a healthy horse, the heart rate (felt at the neck) should be 29-40 beats per minute.
  • The paint horse was introduced to North America by Spanish conquistadors.
  • When grazing, horses use their lips to sort through grass.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

I love the study of cat color genetics.  I've lived with cats--my mother raised champion Manx when I was a kid--all my life.   Here are a few more facts and opinions:

Orange (yellow/green) eyed white cats are usually not deaf but I had one that was.  He got along just fine because he could feel vibrations so finely.  Some "odd-eyed" (one blue, one gold/copper) white cats are deaf only on the blue eyed side.  But many are not deaf at all (again, via experience).  Most blue eyed white cats are indeed deaf,  but again some aren't.  One important thing that IS true:  if you get a young white kitten, look for a small black or gray spot on its head.  This means your kitten can hear.  If the spot is absent (on a young kitten, not an older one, since the spot fades as they mature) your kitten is most likely deaf.

The reason cats sleep so much has little or nothing to do with lazyness and much more to do with ancient instincts for survival.  As obligate carnivores--who eat almost nothing but meat, they had to conserve their energy for the chase.  They still do this even though today they seldom have to chase their food further than  a bowl in the kitchen.

We originally had a black male and a white female as breeding stock.  The white was actually dominate over the black--at least we had a LOT more white kittens than black ones.  But she (our white dam)  also had a lot of red and tortoishell kittens so my mom figured that deep down inside she was actually one of these colors. Mom believed the color white actually masked another color, which would come out in the kittens.   I don't know if this was true--this was my mom's 1950's kitty wisdom.

Keep the cat  trivia coming, please

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Did you know??

Message 8 of 9

I'm going to use this space to give you regular updates, little pieces of trivia, ideas or tips for animal care.

Cats:

• White cats are no less affectionate than others, but they are more likely to be deaf.
  • Cats spend most of their lives asleep -- or looking for places to fall asleep.
  • All cats are born with blue eyes.
  • A grey cat is really a black cat with a gene that's activated and "dilutes" or mutes the full expression of color.
  • Unlike dogs, heartworm in cats more frequently causes lung disease instead of cardiovascular disease. Many cats with heartworm are misdiagnosed as having asthma.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Did you know??

Message 8 of 9

I'm going to use this space to give you regular updates, little pieces of trivia, ideas or tips for animal care.

Cats:

• White cats are no less affectionate than others, but they are more likely to be deaf.
  • Cats spend most of their lives asleep -- or looking for places to fall asleep.
  • All cats are born with blue eyes.
  • A grey cat is really a black cat with a gene that's activated and "dilutes" or mutes the full expression of color.
  • Unlike dogs, heartworm in cats more frequently causes lung disease instead of cardiovascular disease. Many cats with heartworm are misdiagnosed as having asthma.

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Kudos
Views
Replies