Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Convicted animal abusers must register

Message 1 of 6

@nyadrn wrote:

This seems like a good idea.  I cannot imagine why you would want a pet if you didn't want to love and care for it but this is s good first step

People lie about loving animals but...

- This wood plaque features the artwork of world renowned artist Dean Russo and is USA made. - Made of very solid MDF wood fiberboard. Measures 7" x 10.5" and 1/4" thick. - Twine is securely stapled t

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6
This should be the law of the land!!!! All the lands!
Christine Gracie
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@ASTRAEA wrote:

It sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how easy/difficult it will be to police that. Will ALL shelters, pet shops & breeders be required to check the registry, before selling/adopting out an animal?

I think these people need a "scape goat" whose lower down the totem pole than they are, and they can take their frustrations out on that poor target .. whether it's another person or an animal. People like that are bullies & cowards!

I don't know how easy it will be to enforce but I think they are trying to cut down on these people but why would someone want to go get another animal.  Geez

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

It sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how easy/difficult it will be to police that. Will ALL shelters, pet shops & breeders be required to check the registry, before selling/adopting out an animal?

I think these people need a "scape goat" whose lower down the totem pole than they are, and they can take their frustrations out on that poor target .. whether it's another person or an animal. People like that are bullies & cowards!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

This seems like a good idea.  I cannot imagine why you would want a pet if you didn't want to love and care for it but this is s good first step

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Convicted animal abusers must register

Message 6 of 6

Convicted animal abusers must register with Cuyahoga County Sheriff and cannot have pets

CLEVELAND, Ohio - People convicted of abusing animals can no longer have pets and must register with the Cuyahoga County sheriff, under legislation approved Tuesday by Cuyahoga County Council.

Council created an animal abuse registry, which was prompted by a new state law that makes cruelty to pets a felony.

The law, known as Goddard's Law, after retired WJW Channel 8 weatherman Dick Goddard, was approved by legislators in May and became effective Sept. 13.

House Bill 60 makes knowingly causing physical harm to a companion animal a fifth-degree felony, punishable by six months to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine. That includes depriving a pet of food, water or shelter.

According to council's legislation:

1. An individual who has been convicted or pleaded guilty to felony animal cruelty in Cuyahoga County shall submit the following information to the Cuyahoga County Sheriff not later than 30 days after being convicted of such violation:

Name, address and date of birth.
The statutory violation to which the individual was convicted or pleaded guilty.
Any additional information that the Sheriff considers necessary.
2. The sheriff, in coordination with the clerk of courts and chief information office, shall establish and maintain a registry.

3. The registry shall be made available to local and state law enforcement agencies, animal shelters, humane societies, dog kennels, pet stores and animal rescue agencies through the county's web site, which is also accessible to the public.

4. The registry shall include all of the information submitted by the individual, as well as a photo.

5. No person listed on the registry shall adopt, purchase, or harbor a companion animal from any animal shelter, dog kennel, pet store, or other person, or act as custodian or caretaker of a companion animal within Cuyahoga County.

6. Each month of non-compliance is a separate violation, with a fine of $500.

7. People can appeal the violation to the Cuyahoga County Debarment Review Board.

8. Fines shall be used to cover expenses for enforcing the prohibition on adoption and the costs of maintaining the registry.

About a dozen people in Ohio, including a woman in Cuyahoga County who is accused of stabbing a puppy, have been charged under the new state law. It is not known if any other registries have been established in Ohio.

An Alliance man was charged Friday with cruelty to animals for allegedly burning an animal, believed to be a small dog, to death.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/01/convicted_animal_abusers_must_register_wi...

Kudos
Views
Replies