You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

CAT LOSING WEIGHT AND HAIR

Message 10 of 11

Dr. Becker,

I have an older cat. We are not sure of his age as he was a mature adult stray when we found him over 10 yrs ago.  He has always been healthy, has been neutered, had all his shots, and been wormed,  but lately has lost a tremendous amount of weight.  He eats like a pig, is still active, and does not appear to be in any pain.  I took him to the vet and they ran a lot of tests and xrays and everything was normal except for a borderline high thyroid.  She felt that it was not high enough to warrent putting him on medication for that and does not think that is the cause of his problems. She just says increase his feedings but he has free access to dry cat food and I am giving him meat, etc. from the table to supplement his dry food. My problem with him has always been trying to keep him from being too fat as he begs continuously and gets to be a butterball if we are not careful.

I have started giving him some additional canned food which he gobbles down, but he continues to lose weight and now he is beginning to lose hair on his back. He doesn't have fleas or a rash and doesn't scratch.  Do you have any ideas of anything I could do to stop his obvious downhill slide? Or any ideas for increasing his calories to stop his weight loss without causing pancreatitis or some other additional problem.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies