It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are Puppies Master Manipulators? Study Says So.

Message 1 of 12

@n566192l  Merry Christmas to you and all the fur babies under your care. Smiley Happy

Funny that your dog has decided it needs home cooked food. Smiley Happy

We are still, we've decided, probably 5 years from getting another dog.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

Epster,

Thanks so much for sharing Are Puppies Master Manipulators with me. Loved the article and the pictures you posted.

.. Nancy..

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

My poodle, Izzador, will cover his food bowl with any thing he can find. He will move it with his nose all over my house. Then he will sit in front of the stove and bark. See, I watched a dog and had to cook specific food for the pup. Izzador , will keep this up, but since he is on vet recommend diet, I just bring the food bowl back or uncover it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Yes, our 2 year old Shih Tzu will start barking when she wants me to follow her to get a treat or water.  Princess likes to be the center of attention.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Every time my pooch, Putcht, wants a treat, she comes over to me on her hind feet, begging.  If I ignore her a while, she starts dong cartwheels across the room.  How could you ignore that?  She gets her treat every time!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I don't have puppies as I always adopt rescue dogs, so they're older.  Currently I have an 11 year old, 83 pound Yellow Labrador who adopted us when she was 4 years old, to be a companion to an older dog we had at that time.  When the older dog died two years ago, we adopted a 7 year old, 110 pound German Shepherd who instantly fell in love with the Lab (and with us).  They walk around our farm like Siamese twins.  They have one special thing in common - I think they can both tell time.  They're fed their dinner at 3:00 p.m.  Every afternoon at about 2:55 they both find me and stand and stare at me.  Even if I tell them they're 5 minutes early, they still stare.  When I head toward where their food is kept, they start bouncing up and down as they run toward the area where they're fed.  They also know how to get a treat from me.  They know where the canister that holds their treats is located in the kitchen.  When I'm in that area, they both sit down, tails wagging, and politely wait.  They can both (usually) catch their little treat mid-air.  However, no matter how hard they try, and how cute they look, they get only one treat.  I don't know what I'd do without those sweet manipulators.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12
@Epster: That picture is soooo cute!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

@MaxineS534474 wrote:

When my grandson's puggle comes to visit, I always have water in his bowl. One evening, it was empgy. He picked up the bowl and carried it to me in the family room. I have owned several dogs, including an incredible German Shepherd, buy this little guy is the smartest of all.

@MaxineS534474  Gotta love that!  We had an Italian Greyhound that I raised from 8 weeks ... smartest, best dog ever.  She used to take her treats and hide them, then retrieve them when our other dog wasn't around.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

My late dog, Spott, lived to be 3 weeks short of 14 years.  We got him when he was a 6-week-old runt of the litter (our best free gift) & became accustomed to babying him throughout his lifetime.  He received love, attention & everything he needed, but not always everything he wanted.  He made his wants known & was seldom refused.  I always said that if he could tell me what he wanted or show me what he wanted, I'd give it to him.  Was he spoiled?  Absolutely.  And, happily so.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12
We've had two very smart dogs Cody and Yoda they both learned early on to get their way Cody would bark at the door and when we would get up to check he would jump into our seat Yoda does something like that when someone leaves their seat he jumps into it
Kudos
Views