You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

RE: Any One With a Gassy Cat?

Message 1 of 4

In Response to Any One With a Gassy Cat? by Ladybut897

Thank you so much for such a quick response. My adopted cat is only 2 years old. I did ask the vet and they think it is because I am trying too many foods for Samme to find one that he likes. I think I have had some progress as I noticed the difference when I took sallmom out of his diet. I also asked the animal shelter and they actually had no response to give me as all the dry foods, etc. are donated so they never get the same diet each day. Love your response and thank you so much. From one happy cat owner to another.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Any One With a Gassy Cat?

Message 2 of 4

In Response to Any One With a Gassy Cat? by Ladybut897

Like with people, sometimes gas is an indicator of stress and sometimes, no matter how wonderful the new home is, shelter animals have a lot of unwinding to do. On the other hand, sometimes the gas indicates total relaxation! And then there is old age - how old is your new cat? As for the food, keep trying - and ask the shelter what they were feeding, it might simply be that your cat requires a consistent diet that he adjusts to over time. If you do stick to a consistent diet and nothing improves, if you haven't already taken him to see the vet, that would be my next stop. In the meantime, thank you for adopting from a shelter and being patient with your cat while he settles in to his new furever home!

PS: I have four cats, all rescue cats and my old one gasses all the time when she's asleep or happy, my teenager does it when he's overly stimulated or stressed, and my other two don't at all... all eat the same food!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Any One With a Gassy Cat?

Message 3 of 4

I adopted a cat from the local Animal Shelter and he is absolutely wonderful. However, I have tried several types of foods (wet & dry) that cause him to have a terrible stool odor. I presume he is probably allergic to some type of an ingredient but have been unable to zero in on one product. I tried giving him the expensive cat foods, some with and some without veggies, and they made him worse. Have any of you pet lovers had this problem? Would love to hear your solution. Thank you so much for any input you can give me.

Marcia 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Any One With a Gassy Cat?

Message 3 of 4

I adopted a cat from the local Animal Shelter and he is absolutely wonderful. However, I have tried several types of foods (wet & dry) that cause him to have a terrible stool odor. I presume he is probably allergic to some type of an ingredient but have been unable to zero in on one product. I tried giving him the expensive cat foods, some with and some without veggies, and they made him worse. Have any of you pet lovers had this problem? Would love to hear your solution. Thank you so much for any input you can give me.

Marcia 

Kudos
Views
Replies