Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: Affordable healthcare

Message 1 of 3

In Response to Affordable healthcare by Michaela53

I completly agree with you. Anywhere that people can be exploited financially they are these days. I don't know anything about the chain store of vet clinics (oh perish the thought) but my vet charges an arm and a leg. And if one cannot pay (in my case a new exam so that I can continue to have the privledge of purchasing from them the special diet food) they don't care. Let the cat die then. I do understand that they have to draw a line someone, but my vet's office seem to be from the sargent major school. I wish we could do something about this horrible trend.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Affordable healthcare

Message 2 of 3

Why is there prescription food?  For heavens sake, this is the biggest racket going to get you back to the vet.  The food is nearly twice as expensive as regular food so I seriously doubt anyone would buy it if they didn't have to and so what if they do.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a cat that's 18 years old just may need a special diet for his kidneys. 

Thousands of pets need adoption.  The cost of care has made keeping a pet out of reach for many.  Many are also being abandoned for this reason.  I must say that I would have to think long and hard about taking on a pet right before retirement on a fixed income.  Many vet clinics are being taken over by chains like VCA and they run the cost of care up with unnecessary tests and extremely high prices.  My country vet charges literally 1/3 the prices of the VCA clinics.  I drive two hours to save on tests and teeth cleaning. It is amazing-even with the cost of gas it is still cheaper.  

Also, drug manufacturers are doing to pets what they also do to humans. Vetsulin (cost $35 a bottle) was discontinued -replacement Prozinc cost $115 per bottle.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Affordable healthcare

Message 2 of 3

Why is there prescription food?  For heavens sake, this is the biggest racket going to get you back to the vet.  The food is nearly twice as expensive as regular food so I seriously doubt anyone would buy it if they didn't have to and so what if they do.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a cat that's 18 years old just may need a special diet for his kidneys. 

Thousands of pets need adoption.  The cost of care has made keeping a pet out of reach for many.  Many are also being abandoned for this reason.  I must say that I would have to think long and hard about taking on a pet right before retirement on a fixed income.  Many vet clinics are being taken over by chains like VCA and they run the cost of care up with unnecessary tests and extremely high prices.  My country vet charges literally 1/3 the prices of the VCA clinics.  I drive two hours to save on tests and teeth cleaning. It is amazing-even with the cost of gas it is still cheaper.  

Also, drug manufacturers are doing to pets what they also do to humans. Vetsulin (cost $35 a bottle) was discontinued -replacement Prozinc cost $115 per bottle.   

Kudos
Views
Replies