Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

where to go?

We, Russ and I and our adult kids, 28 and 21 years old, are wanting to go somewhere warm. We want an all inclusive place where Southwest Airlines flies(we have miles to use).  If anyone has any ideas please send them our way!!!

Thanks,

Kari N

Regular Contributor

If you can't make it to Iceland yet (the most beautiful place on earth!!!), my favorite destination stateside is the Oregon coast... besides its' awesome beauty is the fact that it's not packed with tourists like most coastal areas, probably due to the fact that the water is too cold to swim in... it's a rugged beauty, with huge jagged rocks sticking up out of the water... there are seven lighthouses in Oregon, and my favorite is the Haceda Head Lighthouse north of Florence... the view from the lighthouse is out of this world... and just south of the lighthouse is Sea Lion Caves, where you can see hundreds of sea lions in their natural habitat, or basking in the sun on the rocks below... Newport has a fantastic aquarium, and there are so many beautiful historic bridges that make wonderful photo ops... the southernmost area of the Oregon coast is home to majestic redwoods that will make you feel like an ant when you stand beside them... there are, of course, a multitude of seafood restaurants, and they're genuine small town digs instead of cookie cutter Red Lobsters... what you have for lunch today might have been swimming in the Pacific Ocean yesterday... you can regularly find state parks along the coast, and there you can see the waves pounding on the rocks and see some of the biggest driftwood you've ever laid eyes on, and seaweed as big around as your arm... I lived on the Oregon coast for a year, and it was one of the most enjoyable years of my life as far as getting to enjoy God's natural beauty... I can't say enough good things about it.

One of the most beautiful places we have been is to Croatia! We rented a 5 bedrm 3 bath home on a hill above the Adriatic Sea in Omis. Everything was included in the house and the view was spectacular from the second floor balcony. We actually had my daughter's wedding right on the veranda!

There was a 40 step staircase either down to the beach or one to the town. The locals were very friendly and the restaurants were inexpensive and the food locally sourced and very good. Because of walking the stairs, we all had lost a few pounds by the time we got home! 

There is plenty to do, from hiking in the hills to boating and swimming in the beautiful clear water. It's truly one of the best trips we have taken!

Periodic Contributor

Starting in 1995, I have been to ICELAND four times.  The first three times I stayed in and around Reykjavik, the capital.  The Blue Lagoon is a must as is traveling out to see where the Vikings held their yearly gathering.  The Icelandic horses are beautiful to see and love pieces of sugar.  The food was really good but quite expensive.  The last trip I took the Ring Road around the island first going, south, east, north and west.  I loved all of the area.  I went in May but if I went back again I would go in July.  The days and nights are long and the weather is ideal and not cold at all in summer. 

I flew on Icelandair from Boston to Keflavik and then bussed to Reykjavik.  The people are friendly and most speak English.  It is a six hour flight from Boston and I saw Northern Lights out the plane window.

The  tour on the Ring Road was a package deal.  The hotels were ready for us when we arrived.  Breakfast was part of the plan and I learned to love the way Islanders eat.

Buying an Iceland-made sweater or mittens is a must.  They are sure warm for our New England winters.

Barbara W.

P.S.  I know you wanted a warm climate but Iceland can be quite warm and they have beaches there as well.

Regular Contributor

Barbara, I have to agree with you!!!  I was so blessed to have been allowed to live in Iceland for three years when I was a teenager, when my father was stationed there in the Navy at the base in Keflavik... it was the most awesome place we ever lived during Dad's 20 years of service... I have been saving for a trip back, hopefully next year... yes, Iceland is expensive, but you can't put a price on the beauty that God has bestowed upon that country... wasn't the Aurora Borealis the most beautiful thing you've ever seen in your entire life???  I can't wait to go back...... 

Trusted Contributor

Drive the Blueridge Parkway!  especially in the fall!

Contributor

1. Some of my favorite trips have been to Nashville or Charleston/Savannah.  All very walkable, lots of good food and entertainment, shopping, beautiful, historical, educational, and fun.  Not super warm at this time of year but better than New England!
Contributor

My wife and I went on vacation to England an took a "narrowboat" trip on the canals.  The boats are self drive.  The come with from 1 to four bedrooms, kitchen, and one or two baths. We liked it so much that we wemt back three more times and took different routes with friends and family.  Our biggest trip was in a group of 12 friends.  We took 3 narrowboats and had four people on each one.

You drive your own boat and they are well equiped.  You set your own itinerary either an out and back, or a circle route.  You may stop anywhere along the way, exept in a lock and go exploring.  All of the trips were EXCELLENT.  On all of our trips we would stop at the local pubs for our meals, except for breakfast, which we ate on the boats.  It is a great way to meet the locals  and the food is FABULOUS.  We would HIGHLY recommend this vacation.  All the people we we went with were sold on the trips.  The scenery is breathtaking as you go through the countryside, and the people you meet are wonderful.  These were simply the BEST vacations we have ever taken.  There are canal adventure books you can get to help you plan the vacation which show you what to look for along the route and where there are points of interest near the route to explore.

Check it out, you will be AMAZED.

Contributor

My husband and I took the most awesome trip to Yellowstone. We stayed in all of the hotels within Yellowstone and did every single thing that Yellowstone has to offer. Oh my goodness...it is a photographers Haven and if you love wildlife they have it all. Absolutely the most wonderful vacation we have ever went on. 

Conversationalist

If you like mountains and oceans, try a cruise to the North Cape of Norway. These cruises happen near the middle of summer - late July or early August - and there aren't a lot of them unless you use Hurtigruten, the Norwegian ferry system. The fjords are amazing. They're like Alaska in green, or even more like Switzerland with an ocean.

Nassua Bahamas, SWA definitely flys there

Trusted Contributor

The best place to go is the spot near South Elroy. It features lots of places to see and things to do!

It's highly recomented to travel, especial during the better seasons!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP