Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Your 2018 Travel Year in Review

Message 1 of 21

I spent the last year visiting cities in the US and Germany getting to know the people and see how the locals live... It has been a great year!

I visited New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Wyoming, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, London and Germany and I'm back in Illinois.  I have no idea why I am here in Illinois and not somewhere warm like Florida, but my spirit says stay here and it has been a good choice.  I'm even thinking about relocating from my home in Las Vegas to Central Illinois.  

The most memorable time was my son's wedding, and spending time with everyone at our family reunion and the absolute most entertaining memory was when a group of 12 people at the Munich airport tried to get me to "scrap me plans and come with them to St. Andrews" (Scotland).(lol) I thought they were inviting me to a church.(lol) I later learned St. Andrews is a golf course.  I didn't go with them, but I do plan to visit in 2019.  (I always plan more than I can do!)

I regret that I did not take any train trips this year and plan to in 2019.  (lol)  Along with the many other places I still want to visit in the US.

For 2019 I hope to take one or all of the train(s) across the country, along the west coast and the one across Canada too. I doubt I will be able to do all this year though.  There is so much to do! Lighthouses to see, lakes to fish, trails to hike, parks to visit, roads to travel and food to eat.

During my travels this year I learned that it is much harder to become a resident in Europe than the US.  We aren't so bad after all and that you can find all types of food here, but not in other countries.  In Germany they did have mexican, greek, chinese... restaurants, but not like you find in the US.  We are very fortunate here!  

In 2018 I drifted from state to state or country renting rooms from locals or stayed with family and friends.  In 2019 I plan to have a place in Illinois and take small trips to the east, like a tourist.  I learned I missed being away from home, I need a home.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@Gerald101952
I am with you, are country has so many interesting people to meet and places to see.  I hope to take the train across the country too.  So many places to go!  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21
@tbuckton
Wow! I was home for about 5 weeks this year. (lol) I traveled the US and stayed in Germany with friends. (haha) Sounds like you two are really enjoying yourself. Happy trails!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21
@LydiaN586309
I'm sorry to hear you had some troubles this year. Your plans sound interesting, I find that once I plan a trip I usually follow through. I wish you the best of luck in 2019!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21
I've traveled a lot to scenic destinations and started visiting family in my later years, I enjoy the family visits so much more. For me, I learned late in life, it is about who I am with, not so much where I'm at. I hope you get your wish and are able to travel to a personally-interesting place in 2019.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21
Sounds nice.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

"....In August Diana's daughter and family came from England and we toured the area including a trip to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood.....".

How could you do that to them? I know I'll get flamed, but I think Pigeon Forge is the worst town I've ever been to --- utterly crass and lowbrow. You have no idea of the true meaning of 'tourist town' until you've been there. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

2018 was a travel delight! Since I was very young, I always wanted to travel and view this magnificent country. With the help of 3 super friends I was able to overcome my lack of vision via air and car. January took me to Scottsdale AZ for a week long tour of the best this city has to offer. The Botanical Gardens, Talisman, The all encompassing Instrument Museum, theaters, and some of the best restaurants made this an outstanding time with 2 very special friends. April came in and I went out, this time to meet a friend of 50+ years and drove south from NJ through the South to ( bucket list!) Key West !!! Each city/stop offered a thoroughly enjoyable time. Richmond, Columbia SC, Sarasota & Fort Lauderdale were the prelude to Key West! Fab-u-lous!!! Go, tour, experience but stay longer than one night at each stop. My fall travels led me back to NJ to meet Jon again and mark off a bucket list item for both. We drove north for the New England Folliage and WOW! Michigan has colorful autumns but nothing like NE! The Maine Coast, lush New Hampshire & Vermont (Burlington is now a fav), the history of Boston and a stop in the Adirondacks made this a magnificent tour! I cannot wait to start again in 2019. KH

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

January- February: Lake Tahoe, Laguna Beach

March: San Francisco

May-June: Belgium, the Netherlands, Czech, Hungary, Austria, Germany

September: San Jose

October-November: Mexico

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

Spent two weeks in TX with my wonderful sister. Had one of the best times of my life.  Most of the time was spent just visiting, watching tv, church, and eating. Had to go home to Ohio, but can't wait till next year's visit!!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors