Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

If i was younger, it would be the beach.  Now since i'm older i want the peacefulness and calm of the mountains and the countryside!
0 Kudos

Always the Beach. Love it
0 Kudos

I live in Florida now close to the beautiful; beaches of Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island etc. In my opinion nothing beats the beauty of mountains. We will be retiring in a few years and my dream is to be able to retire in the mountains.
0 Kudos

I live in Florida now, minutes from the beautiful beaches of Anna Maria Island, Coquina Beach, Siesta Key, Lido Beach etc.  But nothing beats the mountains. We'll be retiring in a few years and my dream is to retire in the mountains.
0 Kudos

NEITHER!! I live in a rural area, close to a lake without neighbors to close to me. I absolutely HATE driving in mountains. I can tolerate just so much sand. Why are these the only two choices you think people need? Some people love city life.
0 Kudos

I recently took my son on a mining expedition in Franklin NC.  It was the first time I had visited the Smokey's as an adult and there is no place I would rather be and retire to.

If I wanted to fry like bacon till my skin was all leathery and tanned, I'd visit the Dunes/Beaches near home - soemthing about waking up in a tent facing Smokey Mountains and seeing a variety of natural treats to the eyes.

0 Kudos

My husband and I have chosen the mountains.  We currently live in the Poconos in a community and we love the serenity of it all.  It is so peaceful here with nature all around us. 
0 Kudos

Being a lover of  the Fathers creations give me the mountains and the night sky
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Contributor

The beach without a doubt. Preferably a nude beach. The less clothes, the better.
0 Kudos

I love the peace, tranquility and majesty of the mountains.  Seeing the changing seasons, the mountains win hands down for me.  I would enjoy an occasional visit to the ocean.  The contrast between the two sceneries makes us appreciate both of them.

0 Kudos

I have lived near both.  Previously lived on LI near the ocean and now live in the Adirondacks.  I prefer the mountains, the scenery, the lower humidity and the beautiful nature and trees..you dont get these near the water.
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

live in the moutains of colorado

0 Kudos

I would live in the mountians, but withtn an hour of the ocean...in Mexico!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Moving to Gulf shores Alabama in two weeks just because I can .Its in my blood and on my bucket list . Some dream ,some just do it.Be irresponsible and chase that dream or die and wish you had.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I like visiting both.  I have a beach home and a home in the mountains. When I finally retire, I plan to live at the beach home.  But in case the economy does not improve and Maryland continues to tax us out the area, I will end up in WVA.
0 Kudos

This is a tough question as I love both. However, I am more of a winter person so I'd have to say mountains. I would love to add water to that, so Lake Tahoe sounds just about perfect. Now I am lucky enough to live on a beautiful lake so I wake up, look outside and appreciate every minute of it!
0 Kudos

The beach is in my soul. I lived in Florida for 12 yrs and had to leave due to ailing family I had to care for. I miss it every day. I pray that I can make it back someday. It makes me calm and relaxed when I walk on the beach at night. When I pass I want to be cremated, put in a seasalt urn, taking out on a boat and dropped in to slowly be released into the water.
0 Kudos

Living in the Roanoke Valley of Va., I'd live in the mountains....to avoid the flooding from torrential rains. But I plan to move to San Diego, so I can enjoy the beach, while sketching. Ok, both! Lol
0 Kudos

My wife and I live in Sunny, Hot, South Florida. We visit Lake Tahoe almost every year. We both agree that we would love to live in the mountains. Lake Tahoe is spectacular in the winter, and wonderful in the summer. It offers the best of both worlds... and the pace is slower there.
0 Kudos

the mountains
0 Kudos

I live at the Beach in St. Petersburg Fl. and have for the past 30 years. I bought a log cabin in the Northeast Georgisa mountains and i am retiring there soon. I love both the beach but i am ready for the mountains.
0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Lake Tahoe, for example!

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
How about the mountains near a lake?
Posted by jmoore65

0 Kudos

I live in Georgia, our coast sux. First and foremost its in a Red Neck/ mostly repbulican state. 2nd the gulf steam is too far offshore so the water is murky and plenty of foam from detergents & other pollution. Not to mention the bad storms. Northern California with its mountians by the beautiful beaches and ITS MEDICAL MARIJUAรƒโ€˜A LAWS TO HELP SENIORS WITH THEIR PAINS AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT has to be the place.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I love the mountains as they're so solid, so impressive and never changing. Yet, I love the water as it's unpredictable depending on the weather. I probably would opt to live in California where the mountains are nearby and the ocean just a short distance away. However, at my age, I would chose to live in a community where I'm not isolated. 
0 Kudos

LIved by the mountains in Geneva Switzerland; and now the beach at La Jolla.  Definitely the moutains for me cause I like to ski.  But going to try to get get up on a surf board this summer!
0 Kudos

I now reside in a condo with a 180 degree view of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Ecuador in a fishing village and LOVE it.  Simple is as simple does minus the intensity and density of USA cities small and large. All parts of this'planet offer their own unique gift of beauty.  NOW needing some peace, tranquility and reflective time soCool I currently opt for the BEACH.   Mountains have indeed provided INSPIRATION - there is a time and option for every need!  God is Good! 
0 Kudos

I grew up spending summers at my Grandmother's beach house at the Jersey shore, so I will have to say Beach! Hands down.
0 Kudos

Looking at retirement places now. VA, NC, or SC. Have several lakes and coastal water areas to look at but having a hard time figuring what is best. I agree that salt water and air is good for the bod but fishing and general water sports are easier on a lake. Any ideas to make this decison easier for us would be appreciated.
0 Kudos

Have lived on Sanibel Island and in the hills of the Hudson Valley in Columbia County, NY. The beach was fine for a vacation but living there was incredibly slow and boring and same, same, same. Not for me. I love the rolling green hills and deciduous trees, the red barns surrounded by fields or grass studded with cows. Home sweet home!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP