Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

Beach in the winter, Mountains in the summer!
0 Kudos

I would rather live in the mountains of N.C. than anywhere in the world close to God and my loved ones.
0 Kudos

I would love to have a house in the mountains of N.C. That is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.
0 Kudos

By the beach... born by the beach,hope to be dump in the ocean.
0 Kudos

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Posted by LynneG

I would rather live by the beach.   I have a problem with arthritis and the mountains would be too cold for me.  Besides, I love both places but the beach sounds more relaxing.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
I live in Sequim, WA a couple hundred yards from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the North and view of the Olympic Mountains to the South of me.  I love the saying: When you are lucky enough to live by the water, you are lucky enough!
Posted by ilsewdm

I want to click "LIKE" as I agree with you!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I feel closer to God in the mountains, and I like the cool nights. I don't care for the hot sun and sand at the beach, but I like the calm waters of a lake, so I'll find a lake in the mountains where I can be content!
0 Kudos

I live 2 blocks from the beach.so I would say the beach.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Despite the effects of Sandy, I could not live anywhere that was not close to the beach.  My favorite places are Cape May, NJ in the summer and Sanibel Island, FL in the winter.
0 Kudos

I live in Sequim, WA a couple hundred yards from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the North and view of the Olympic Mountains to the South of me.  I love the saying: When you are lucky enough to live by the water, you are lucky enough!
0 Kudos

I rather live by the mountains. I love the beach but not to live there. I do not think I could sleep at night
0 Kudos

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Posted by LynneG

I rather live in the mountains.  I lived in the mountains before. near the river and love to jump in with my children they were just little boys then. We pick aguacate and wash our hair in the river. 
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am moving to the mountains when I retire.
0 Kudos

I think it depends on your circumstances.  In the early 1980's, I had two kids and my wife at the time had two.  She wanted to buy a get-away home at the seashore.  I wanted the mountains.  We decided to ask the kids what they thought.

My wife's oldest son ask his mom what people do at the seashore in the fall, winter and spring.  She answered these were the best times of the year with peace and quiet and taking long walks on the beach.  Before she could even finish her answer, we had four votes for the MOUNTAINS!! 

The year before, we had taken the kids skiing in the Pocono Mountains.  They wanted NOTHING to do with peace, quiet and long walks on the beach!!  Rather, they wanted  back out on the ski lopes in the winter.  The spring and fall in the mountains gave them MORE than enough peace and quiet.  The summers on the lake - waterskiing, tubing, swimming, etc. - was just what the doctor ordered so far as they were concerned.  I still have that get-away home in the mountains and it still brings me great joy.  Now my kids' kids come and enjoy it.
0 Kudos

The beach! Just listen to the waves coming in and the warm sunshine is my idea of pure joy.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains. They sun and I don't get along well and then Hurricanes are scary.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Where are the right-wingers who decry every single article, regardless of subject matter, as liberal propaganda.  The paid wing-nut trolls are slipping.
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I was in high school I lived two blocks from the beach with a stunning ocean view.  There is nothing better.
0 Kudos

Beaches in the winter and mountains in the summer.
0 Kudos

I don't love beaches except in the off months. Love towalk along a winter beach. Sitting on the beach-not my thing.
But I made a choice- I live by the sea.  I love the rocky Maine coast, the waves crashing against the rocks and cliffs.
Have to be near that energy.

On the other hand, I was just in the Rockie Mountains. Hardly any snow. I remember them being more beautiful in August 1971, full of snow.

So I'm happy near the Atlantic ocean with the Rocks and cliffs.
0 Kudos

I'd rather live by both!  In my state, Oregon, this is possible.  Also in many other states, such as CA, WA, and a number of New England states.  Meanwhile, I'm still living in the mountains, with the ocean 1-1/2 hrs. away!Smile
0 Kudos
Contributor

We retired to Costa Rica last year. We moved to the southern pacific coast near Dominical. We found out pretty quickly that being near the ocean was not for us. We have since moved into the mountains of the central valley near Puriscal. We absolutely love it up here!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I grew up in Baltimore, and I love the water.  I would rather live near the beach.  Also, it is better for my asthma and numerous allergies.  The mountains are a wonderful place to visit, and I like to go there, but not to live. 
0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains. I lived in Utah for 2 years--in Park City--nestled right inside the Wasatch mountains. OMG the electric energy that came from those mountains was so amazing! I wish I were there right now but given my present financial state and our economy (I had income property then) I wouldn't be able to afford it. There are very few paying jobs there. Most everything is volunteer, volunteer, volunteer--that gets old after a while! After that I moved up to Whitefish Montana and lived there for almost 3 years--again another incredibly gorgeous community right on a small lake surrounded with mountains. Montana is truly amazing. I found the winters a bit too long and dark for me and again, not many jobs. After THAT I moved to Tucson Arizona which I still consider my real "home" spiritually and otherwise. More mountains and desert! Tucson is also an amazingly beautiful place and is big enough for more opportunities. I am thinking about moving back as soon as I am able. So--I guess I am a mountain girl! I love the west. Miss it everyday. 
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I vote for mountains with a stream running through the back yard!  While the ocean is great to see and sit by (don't care to be IN it) the heat is stifling.  My one concern about the mountains is that I have always enjoyed my neighbors and if being in the mountains means isolation and a 20 minute drive to town, I'd say forget it.
0 Kudos

I have the best of both worlds.  I live in the mountains, and climbing some of the higher nearby peaks is a real 'beach'.
0 Kudos
Contributor

By the beach. Aside from the beauty and comforting sounds, the sea breeze curls my short hair, clears my skin, and I can breathe better.
0 Kudos

I grew up with the Rockymountains just to the west of me, and also spent many hours in those Rockies.  I lived back east for a fewyears, and  the one thing I missed most were those mountains.  I lived the Blue RIdge, but they weren't the Rockies,so when I retired I retired in an area where I can always see and get to the Rockies.
0 Kudos

Living in San Diego I can go to the beach, the mountains, the desert or the city.  But I definitely prefer to be close to one of the oceans.  I grew up near the Atlantic on the Jersey Shore and now I have the Pacific.  I couldn't live without an ocean near-by.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP