Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Message 91 of 509

Somewhere in between? I love the water, but I also love the desert AND the mountains. The one absolute condition for me is being near a university or artists' hub, somewhere with cultural options -- and not just high, but also low!

Right now, I'm in NYC, where I was born, bred (& corrupted) and where I've spent two-thirds of my life (having lived in Chicago, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and spent some time in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Paris). But I need to get out soon. As someone once said: Live in New York City, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in California, but leave before it makes you soft. After so many years of big city living, I think I need some softening, so plan to move out west in the next couple of years!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 509
I would live near the beach; the ocean air and the smell of the ocean salts ;sounds good to me, living in the
midwest west I'm ready for the ocean.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 509
My husband and I always talked of retiring in the Smokies, but now we have two grandsons, 4 and 1, who live in Melbourne, Florida .... so now it's very difficult! I just hate heat, but love those boys ... and we are in Ohio and are tired of winters!!!!! What to do????
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 509
Hands down .... Mountains! There's something about the mountains ... A peaceful, tranquil feeling comes over me when there which tells me that's where I'm suppose to be! 😊
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 509

This is the eternal discussion in my house. I am definitely a mountain person, my wife is a beach person. It makes planning vacations interesting.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 509

I would live in the mountains. I love mountains.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 509
The beach beckons...finances do not (yet) support that lifestyle...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 509

We live on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state so we really do "have it all."  The only problem is that the ocean is VERY cold & the winters are gloomy...

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 509

Having perused the responses to this question over several months, I made several observations:

Some just say beach or mountains and let it go at that. Most are willing to add some meat to their choice.

Everyone has a reasonable reason why they prefer one or the other; many like both.

I believe most people enjoy variety in their appetites. I've been to the mountains and mountain lakes and find it every relaxing, usually serene, but eventually boring. Perhaps it's just because I enjoy the activities more at or near the beach. The mountains usually don't offer much variety. That's a little odd since I was raised country and hate cities and the beaches are usually much more “citified” than the mountains. The answer to that is that people who live by the beach are a whole lot more laid back than the city folk. So we moved to the coast where we're 5 miles from the beach, in a small town with larger cities only 40-75 minutes away. Ha! We found the best of everything we want....now if only the water looked like it does in the Virgin Islands....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 509

I live in the mountains and the trees are beautiful but I have to drive down the mountain sometimes through the heavy fog which is more difficult than snow, and there isn't much to do up here.  In Los Angeles, the beach is close, the mountain is 1 1/2 hour away, there is theatre, and jazz close by.  I will be moving soon G-d willing. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors