Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

I'll take the mountains, who wants to look at sand everyday
0 Kudos

They both have advantages and disadvantages. I would like both; on a part-time basis. And, with the ability and resources to move freely between.

0 Kudos

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Posted by LynneG

the Beach, ...specifically, Virginia Beach, VA.
0 Kudos

Actually I feel really lucky . My husband grew up on the oceans and I live in the hills of wine country...so I get them both ,but gotta say Sandy really was a reminder , the ocean is stronger then snow storms...
0 Kudos

Us lucky people that live in the Santa Cruz Mountains have both. I wouldn't want to give up either.

0 Kudos

My wife and I after exploring many areas  for retirement, narrowed it down to Asheville, NC or the coast of South Carolina. The mountain's are beautiful and we went to school near Asheville, but cost of living, endless golf and 6 miles from the ocean won out.

So after being here 9 months, we definitely made the right choice. Nothing more relaxing than walking on  beach in early fall.

0 Kudos

I would rather live in the mountains by a stream. The mountains have clean air and peace and quiet from the highways. 
0 Kudos

Living in the Northeast, We're leaning more towards the ocean, since we spend most of our summers at Ogunquit Beach in ME. We do however, enjoy the mountains and have skiied Northern New England as well. Would anyone like to burphase a beautiful home in North Andover, MA?
0 Kudos

By far, the mountains.
0 Kudos

Beach - means warm weather too!
0 Kudos

I live near the beach now and love it, but I also like to visit the mountains.
0 Kudos

Can't decide. I've spent summers in both places. The Adirondacks are heavenly during the hot summer months, particularly around Silver and Saranac Lakes.
On the other hand, I have always loved the beach because it is such a laid back place, in general. No need for special clothing, etc. Evening walks on the beach are irreplaceable....hearing the waves break as they roll in just sounds so fresh and relaxing. I don't care much for sunbathing, tough, furthermore, it is dangerous to people with light skin especially.
0 Kudos

Definitely the Florida beaches.  I can swim. snorkel. SCUBA, kayak, sail and surf.  Bikinis and sundresses are more appropriate at the beach.  Bike riding is on the level.  Just be wary of sharks, alligators, and hurricanes.
0 Kudos

Beach, beach, beach.
I have spent the large majority of my life within a stones throw of the breaking waves of SoCal; South Bay, San Diego & Kauai.
ALL the beaches on the west coast have been ruined by the crowds, hoards of transplants who've brought along their own values and habits. Many of which I find distasteful.
I would rather live at  the beach but now live in the mountains.
0 Kudos

'Da Beach! Give me the white sand and the 'big' water any day!! Favorite beaches are on Anna Marie Island and Long Boat Key, Florida. In the heat of the summer I try get out early and park under my big umbrella to enjoy the scenery!
However I have enjoyed my time(s) in the Smokey Mountains, the Sierra Mountains of Cali as well as Mt Ashland, Oregon too!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live in the mountains.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Without a doubt near the water - under a palm tree, with a pina colada, a hammock, and a good book.   Now, I'll have to add some kind of screen to keep off the sun. 
That's not to say I don't like the mountains.  Maybe I could live by the beach 1/2 the year and in the mountains the other half. 
0 Kudos

Me? The mountains. I have lived in Florida for over 60 years and seldom go to the beach. But the mountains are another thing In fact  am moving there next year and looking forward to it.
0 Kudos

Sea air beckons . . . 
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Posted by LynneG

Growing up on an island, I love the sound of the waves, the cool breezes, the gulls and just the relaxing, soothing feeling I get from the ocean.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We've lived 6 blocks from the beach for 23 years.  Watch the waves break and the sun set everyday.  BUT when ever I get a chance I head to the mountains.  The sound of a creek rushing over the rocks, the wind blowing through tall pines, and the sight of mountains reaching into the clouds are the things that fill my heart with joy.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I Live about halfway between the Pacific Ocean and Mt. Hood. Whenever I think of getting out of the city my thoughts go to the mountains. The "relaxing" sound of the ocean sounds more like a mournful, loanly sound to me. I'd rather heasr the sound of a bubbling brook or stream. 
0 Kudos

Give me the mountain lakes anytime.  I love the solitude and many different activities available.  Love to hear the ocean waves as well but the beach scene  is not my thing.  The coast of Maine is more enjoyable for me.

lovemycat
0 Kudos

In 1989 I worked to help clean up and rebuild a virtual war zone remaining after a Category 4 hurricane struck South Carolina, and since then I've thought that the eastern (Appalachian) mountains are where I should make my permanent home and garden. But in retirement, I hope to migrate annually to the coast and can be content there with an RV or "tiny house," or possibly a shared space with others who also love the maritime forests, marshes, creeks, and beaches.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hills and mountains fource you to struggle either going up or down. Flat landers do it better because they have more energy - less struggle. Life's a beach.
0 Kudos

Growing up, I remember going camping; mostly in Georgetown California, as one of our uncles owned an extinct gold mine about a half hours drive down some old country road. We also went camping in the Redwood National Park. I have been to the Beach and to the Mountains and I love them both, but, I have to say that my heart truly belongs in the mountains. The smell and the sounds of the mountains is very intoxicating and addicting. There is noting like the mountain experience, truly my heart belongs in the mountains, really, truly!
0 Kudos

Why choose?  There are many beautiful areas where you can be close to both!
0 Kudos

The sound of waves is like a lullaby.
0 Kudos

Beach (southern) in winter, mountians in summer.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I live on the beach in the mountains.  I have the best of both worlds.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP