Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

Good Morning to everyone, I'am a Proud Disabled Veteran and I just wanted to say to ALL VETS! Thank You!
0 Kudos

i'd like to visit the mountains, but live by the beach.  My wife and I retired near a long beach on the east coast of Oahu, and we're out there every morning with our dog for exercise.
0 Kudos

I have lived near the beach for over 20 years.  Nice to visit but give me the mountains any day  ๐Ÿ™‚
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I lived in Michigan about a mile from Lake Michigan. I now live in N. Carolina in the mountains.
I would choose the beach. The mountains are beautiful, but  I  miss the beauty and serenity of the lake.
0 Kudos

But of course, the beach!  You can still have contact with other people at the beach  but in the mountains you can pretty much be isolated and alone.  I like the company of others.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My son lives in the Santa Cruz mountains with an ocean view. I think he nailed it. His yard is frequented by different wildlife, and we observed deer, bobcats, and some skunks as well. I think this is the best of both worlds: live in mountains and have a fifteen minute drive down the hill to the beach.
0 Kudos
Contributor

By the ocean, every day something new washes up to be collected. The sunrises and sunsets seem so much more spectatular by the ocean. Watching a storm roll in over the ocean is an awesome sight. Give me the beach anytime.
0 Kudos

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Posted by LynneG

i grew up in coastal new englandwe always lived within a couple miles of the ocean,but i have as much love of the mountains as i had  for the atlantic.after all our children grew up and had a family of thier own,we moved to the great state of west virginia.it is well named the people are god fearing +friendly.so i am a product of both worlds i guess. 
0 Kudos

My sister-in-law has a summer home in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and loves it, but give me the sound of ocean waves lapping on the shore.
0 Kudos

The mountains, with a stream for that water sound.  The smell of clean air, woods and wildlife to view.  Yes, the mountains.
0 Kudos

OMG!! The mountain air. The clear sky seeing all the stars at night. The peace and quit at night. Hiking, fishing and camping. Swimming in the cold, clear lakes and enjoying the water falls . Enjoying your partner in the great out doors.

The ocean air in the morning. The calm tides coming in. The warm breeze and the soft sand under you feet.Taking a boat out at night away for the coast lights, have a candle light dinner and seeing all of the stars. Enjoying this with your partner.

Why do you have to limit yourself to just one place? ENJOY life and experience as much as you can, while you can.
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
No contest, the beach.  I live a few miles from the Pacific Ocean.
Posted by Special123

You are sooooo lucky.  My hubby wanted to move to The Villages in Ocala, FL.  No thanks.  The only saving grace is that it is about 45 min. to the beaches.  But that's not even a carrot.
0 Kudos

I would like to live by a river, creek, or lake in the mountains in British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, or NW Wyoming during the summer and in the mountains/hills  by a creek, river or lake in southwest MO, west AR, N AZ, NW UT during the winter. MN, WI, summers are nice too but taxes too high.
0 Kudos

I would enjoy either.  The beauty of either location is intoxicating, I live closely packed in a city local and long for the beauty of a long view of nature.  So I'm not so into which is my favorite, how about the beach by the side of a mountain?  Hawaii?
0 Kudos

I live across the street from teh Pacific Ocean, and I would not trade it for the mountains. Walking on the sand beats walking in the dirt, for me. I can appriciate the mountains but I would not want to live there.
0 Kudos

I love all of God's creation, but the tall mountains (Eastern Sierras) are like a magnet for me.  I feel great at high altitudes and love the majesty of it all.  My favorite artist is Lady Jill who paints the beauty of the Sierras with watercolors.  However, when the winter comes, I'll want to live in San Diego near the ocean.
0 Kudos

I like living in LA. You can go skiing and sailing on the same day. Why choose?
0 Kudos

Posted by LynneG

would rather live bythe beach any day. my fav is Oregon coast, only place I can really relax.
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Whichever one would allow the best quiet, privacy, and isolation from others.
Know real estate prices, this probably means mountains.
Since beachfront property is expensive

But talking theoretically ...... 100 acres of mountian land -VS- 100 acres of Beach ?
Hmmmm ... very tough choice.

Truth is, there is no absolute best choice.

I have lived part of my life in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and part of it near the beach in South Florida.

Now being over 50, I have FINALLY realized the obvious -- NO SINGLE PLACE HAS IT ALL

Snowbirders have the right idea ......... spend different times of the year in different places if you are somehow lucky enough to afford it.

So having homes in both mountains and beah (wintertime) would be ideal.

Michael Spitzer
Author- FITNESS at 40,50, 60 and BEYOND
http://highpointproducts.com/book.htm

0 Kudos

I'll take the mountains over the beach every day.  I love the greenery and find the beach a bit boring after awhile.  I love the beach breezes and the smell of the ocean, but I find the mountains a better fit for me.
0 Kudos

Summers in the mountains and winters on the beach.
0 Kudos

I live a couple of blocks from the Monterey Bay in Santa Cruz, California.  It's nice, however, I would choose the mountains.  I lived in the mountains near here, and because I wanted to downsize, I came into town - plus it's easier to maintain a home in town than in the woods.  But the mountains are where I feel most comfortable -- they are like big arms surrounding me.  The ocean is pretty although it just doesn't have the same feel to me.  I am lucky that the mountains are only a fifteen minute drive from me, so I can literally be at the beach poking around tide pools, and then go hiking in the mountains in the middle of the redwoods.  I guess I shouldn't complain because this area is so diverse, although I still prefer the mountains.  Smile
0 Kudos

That's a tough choice, since both places are really beautiful, and I have been lucky enogh to be at the ocean, at different lake locations, and in the mountains, too. I like being at different lakes and beaches though, so I wouild have to say that I like being by the water, so being by the beach wins out for me in the end. 
Posted by oldgraymare2

I love the Ocean and I really miss it.  I live near the mountains and those are also beautiful.  If I had the money, the beach would win my vote.
0 Kudos

We recently remodeled our home on Cape Cod and live 1 mile from the beach - amazing!  And.....being from the Berkshires, we are only a few hours away from the gorgeous mountains we love - we are so fortunate to have the best of both worlds.
0 Kudos

6 months in the mountains, 6 months by the sea! 

0 Kudos

I've lived near both, and don't like being away from either.  That's why I'm moving to Sequim Washington in a year or two.  In a rain shadow of the awesome Olympic Mountains, right on the beach.  Problem solved.   n Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Posted by LynneG

0 Kudos

I would always rather live by the beach than in the mountains.  Nothing helps me sleep better than the crashing or gentle rolling of the waves.   The smell of the ocean on cool winter days, the sense of atmosphere it creates with waves crashing as dark winter  clouds gather overhead....prelude to a storm,  or does the sun break through and create another perfect day?  Depending on what you believe, we came from the ocean, so It feels womblike, just floating in the water as it tugs at you this way or pushes you that way.  It is totally liberating and feels as if it could go on forever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the mountains as well, but the ocean feels renewing, always a fresh beginning every time I enter the water.  It washes me clean of all that I wish to leave behind.

Larry
0 Kudos

I do live in the mountains. I did live one block from the beach (no view, but sometimes the sound of waves at night). I've never been more relaxed or happy. The mountain view is different from season to season and hour by hour.
0 Kudos

Posted by LynneG

I lived in Margate NJ in a home that was just two blocks away from  the ocean. Only problem was
for  five months out of the year the beaches were  packed with screaming kids, flying umbrella on a windy days, loud radios and even louder people.  The only time I got to go to the beach was May or September which was when all the "shoebees" closed their homes for the summer. About four years ago I took a vacation to Lake Tahoe.  I still think about the beautiful mountains.  We went on a cable car ride which gave you a panoramic view of the mountains.  The fresh air was definitely intoxicating.  I truly believe I would take that over the jellyfish in the ocean!!
0 Kudos

Southwest mountains, high deserts with little snow, hot days, cold nights, big skies, few people.  PARADISE.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP